Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 12:59 PM   #1
juice90
RCC Contributor

I am: grant

Total Props: 1
so what would be a good set up

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
well, i changed motors on my yak.. and test flew it with absolut disaterous results.. The rim fire motor was worse than the other one..sooooo

I have ordered a ss12 brushless esc....and a 2 cell 1600 mah lipolly...I don't have the specs on the other motor but i do have for the rim fire..

SPECIFICATIONS0.235 ohmsInternal Resistance:0.65 ANo Load Current:7.2 to 12VInput Voltage:1000 rpm/voltkV Rating:11 AMax. Constant Current:15 AMax. Surge Current:

looking at the specs.. do I maybe need a esc that will handle 15 amps????

this is the esc i have now... ss 8 SPECIFICATIONS6-12 cellsNiCd/NiMH Cells:2-4 cellsLiPo:8 AMax Output:5V / 1.5ABEC:100 wattsMax Output:8.5 kHz fixedOperating Frequency:0.05 ohmsOn-resistance:ON/OFFBrake:battery voltage x 0.67Voltage Cutoff:110 °CThermal Cutoff:0.39 ozWeight:

This is the one I ordered... ss12

SPECIFICATIONS6-12 cellsNiCd/NiMH Cells:2-4 cellsLi-Po Cells:8.5 kHz (fixed)Operating Frequency:5V / 1.5ABEC:150 WMax Output:12 AMax Output:0.03 ohmsOn-resistance:ON/OFFBrake:battery voltage x 0.67Voltage Cutoff:110 °CThermal Cutoff:33 mmLength:6 mmWidth:23 mmHeight:0.49 ozWeight:

These r both made by great planes elctrify....

I have a new plane comeing, a eflight Ultimate FX 3D ARF w/Gearbox

specs r SPECIFICATIONS28 inWingspan:31 inLength:435 sq inWing Area:14.5 to 15.5 ozWeight:370 to 400 outrunnerMotor:

any ideas on what is gonna work with this... ???? Please help...

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
igor_throw_the_switch
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brad Kacer

Total Props: 0
I'd have tried a 3S pack before upgrading the ESC. You'd have to go with a smaller prop on 3S to keep the amps from getting nutzo.

Brad

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
juice90
RCC Contributor

a 3s pack ??????

Old 07-29-2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Poelzer

alternative

Hey Juice90 - be a real man and put glow power in that aircraft! LOL!
Poelzer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
hillmanr2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice90
a 3s pack ??????
3 cell pack 11.1 nomimal volts 12.54+/- fully charged. In lipo speak S=number of cells in series, P=number of cells in parallel. Electric is all good it just gets pricey for larger models.
http://www.duralitebatteries.com/
PTA Hobbies
hillmanr2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
juice90
RCC Contributor

poelzer.. at the rate I am going with electric.. I just might :P

And I allready have a 3 s pack at 11 volts. Just not sure why I lose pwr so quickly, especially with the rim fire motor.. The only thing I can think of is that The esc is too small.. I have checked the esc and the batteries after an attempted flight and nothing seems to excessivly hot.. comfortably warm, yes but not hot. The only other option is going to a smaller prop, I don't understand why I lose pwr so quickly. I lost full pwer about 30 seconds into flight, and it started comeing down like a streamlined crow bar

What kind of set ups are you guys useing ???
Old 07-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #7
rscamp
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Rob C

I'm sure if we looked at your setup and/or made some basic measurements we could quickly fix your problem.

If you recall, I've already calculated in another thread that you are likely drawing too much current. Have you taken any steps to remedy this? If so what was the result?

Please answer the following and we'll try to get to the bottom of this quickly:

1. Exactly what model charger are you using and how are you setting it?

2. How have you the low voltage cutoff on your speed control? What is the voltage setting? The LVC settings on controllers are often TOO LOW for many of the newer LiPos. I don't recommend flying to LVC at all.

3. How many times have you run the battery down until it "died"?

4. What batteries do you have? I have never heard of them. Do you have a link? What is written on the label? Is there a "C" rating?

5. What connectors are you using between the controller and battery? Between the motor and controller?

There is nothing like measuring static current draw to find out what is going on. For example, it will show you if are you drawing too much current, too little current, how the current changes with prop selection, how the current changes with the number of cells, and gives you an excellent indication of available power and how the model is going to fly.

A day without sunshine is like ...night.
rscamp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in