Popular transmitter brand used in Moncton? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 06-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
ecormier
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Question Popular transmitter brand used in Moncton?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What would be a good TX brand to have in the Moncton area if someone would like to learn to fly a heli with the help of a trainer cord? What brand do the heli guys tend to use?
ecormier is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 55
Re: Popular transmitter brand used in Moncton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecormier View Post
What would be a good TX brand to have in the Moncton area if someone would like to learn to fly a heli with the help of a trainer cord? What brand do the heli guys tend to use?
Spectrum or JR are by far the most popular.
Terry Gauvin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
rotormonkey13
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joe Smith (I swear)
Radio of choice:
DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 11

I suspect the majority of guys starting out with helis will have a DX6i or a DX7.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7

I and most of the heli guys I know locally fly with Spektrum or JR DMS2 2.4.

Trainer cord implies you will learn with an instructor. If you have one in mind, ask him. If not, then you can't go wrong chosing what's popular. The Dx7 is good kit with good performance and value. I would suggest starting with that.

If you want me to help, then buy your cord at the same time because I don't have one.

Calvin
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #5
ecormier
RCC Apprentice

I'm actually asking on behalf of someone else who wants to get into the hobby. He needs a 9-ch radio for a multi-rotor helicopter kit that can do aerial photography (he needs up to 9 channels for all the bells and whistles). I suggested the JR X9503 (heli version). With the JR TX, he'd have the option of buying a cheapo RTF heli with built-in Spektrum receiver to cut his teeth on.

Hopefully, he'll be asking for help from the local heli guys instead of learning on his own on his first model (if it were fixed-wing, I'd offer to help him myself). I gave him the link to the GMAC website, and told him about the Hillsborough field as well.

P.S. If someone in the area wants to sell a used "beater" electric heli that's good for training, please PM me.

Last edited by ecormier; 06-01-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

What's the multi-rotor heli? Is it a quad rotor? If so, not so much heli as something else in which case learning on a heli won't mean much.

For a beginner heli, nothing smaller than a Trex 450, preferably something larger (500, 550, 600 etc.) as it will be much easier to learn on (greater mass = inherently more stable and gives more time to react). The main difference is cost to repair.

Great recommendation on the TX.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #7
ecormier
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinic View Post
What's the multi-rotor heli? Is it a quad rotor? If so, not so much heli as something else in which case learning on a heli won't mean much.

For a beginner heli, nothing smaller than a Trex 450, preferably something larger (500, 550, 600 etc.) as it will be much easier to learn on (greater mass = inherently more stable and gives more time to react). The main difference is cost to repair.

Great recommendation on the TX.
It's a MikroKopter Hexakopter. Would training on an electric airplane be more appropriate? Is a simulator enough? I'd hate to see this guy cut his R/C teeth on such an expensive model.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #8

Total Props: 57

Holy crap that's expensive for such a tiny little machine!
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

That is a very different beast. The web site says that it doesn't fly like a helicopter, so it's not likely learning how to fly a heli will help all that much. That said, it has a lot of gadgetry, that if properly set up and configured, should make it very stable (the video shows the demo pilot leaving it to hover hands off for extended periods of time).

They suggest FMS (a low-end free flight simulator), but it would be better, in my opinion, to buy RealFlight or Phoenix, both of which are high-end, ultra realistic flight simulators. There are freely downloadable models that are similar to the HexaKpopter that should help.

This learning page may help.

Check out this highly informative thread on RGC. LGM, From the info in the first post, the Hexakopter is actually one of the less expensive options!

The setup on this will be key to good performance. This is a highly technical aircraft, not something I would tend to think of a first model, but what the heck. Also, lipo battery handling and electronics selection and setup typically take some learning and experience.

A segment of pilots for this type of aircraft fly them FPV (first person point of view) using cameras and head mounted displays.

Anyway, this is not my area of expertise. Looks like a very cool device though.

Perhaps the RC Groups thread and some of the people posting can be of assistance.

I would certainly like to see it fly. Hope to see him around.

Last edited by martinic; 06-03-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
Pipercub 09
RCC Apprentice

Check out the Futaba 2.4 7 ch radio no matter what one you buy they all have air and heli programing only difference is the heli version has a nonratchet throttle stick what you need to fly helis
Pipercub 09 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in