Can you "opt out" of MAAC? - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #41
russ
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: russ h
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
Re: Can you "opt out" of MAAC?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Is MAAC a insurance broker or an association advocating model aircraft flight?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:03 AM   #42
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Scotte

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauld View Post
I think I got the answer I was looking for. Basically, if you choose to go off field and fly whatever/wherever, you are not covered by MAAC and are responsible for your own insurance or other coverage. Of course, your actions may be viewed as questionable such as shown in the heli video above that Scott posted.

The main issue would be if one were to "opt out" of flying under MAAC rules and guidelines but still be operating from a MAAC sanctioned field which leads to my next question:

Scenario:

10 guys are flying at a MAAC sanctioned club field and are all MAAC members in good standing. A guy shows up with a model and is a MAAC member but decides to fly a model in a manner that is not MAAC approved such as FPV or firing projectiles from the model.

It is clear that this person is not covered by MAAC but does his operation of his model affect other modelers and the vailidity of thier MAAC insurance?

PaulD
I'm just seeing the start of FPV at our site,,,,,,,,Its unfortunate that a one in a million hypothetical worst case scenario will generate liability fears and a bunch of rules,,,,,or grey area LOL
Old 12-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #43
Midnight Heli
RCC Contributor

I am: Andre S.
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 9

Quebec Re: Can you "opt out" of MAAC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
Is MAAC a insurance broker or an association advocating model aircraft flight?
Found on the MAAC web site
We work with local and Federal levels of government to protect the rights, radio frequencies and flying fields of our members. We provide third party liability insurance for all of our members, provided that they fly according to our established safety protocols. Developing and publicizing comprehensive safety procedures is one of our highest priorities. A network of 360 individual clubs throughout Canada facilitates the activities. Whether you are a small child with an inexpensive and simple model, an adult with a complicated scale model or a retiree embarking on a new hobby
Our third party insurance coverage has a limit of $7,500,000.00 with a deducible to the member and club of $500.00. The coverage can be denied if MAAC protocols and rules are not followed. Your best option is always to fly safely with a chartered club and at sanctioned events.

And if you want to know more about the MAAC policy, by-laws, rules, safety Guideline etc. you can download and read this info at http://www.maac.ca/e_docs.php and click on ''Main MAAC documents'' also click on ''documents'' The rule book is found here http://www.maac.ca/home.php?pflg=e Rules or Rule Books can be found in the Committee section for your particular discipline.
Please ‘mouse over” “Committees” on the Main Menu then select your Committee from the drop down menu.
Midnight Heli is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #44
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Scenario:

10 guys are flying at a MAAC sanctioned club field and are all MAAC members in good standing. A guy shows up with a model and is a MAAC member but decides to fly a model in a manner that is not MAAC approved such as FPV or firing projectiles from the model.

PaulD
Not clear to me but, I'm not a lawyer.

If I were the CD at such an event, and someone told me they intended to fly "outside of MAAC rules", I'd ask them to kindly reconsider or consider leaving. Responsibility for any accident resulting from these activities will be decided by lawyers and you can guarantee the property owner and the event organizers will be asked to appear before the bench. Perhaps you should ask these people if they're ok with assuming this risk before assuming it's okay to "opt out of MAAC"?

Oh, and the other flyers? They could be implicated as well....
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere - (If it ain't broke, don't fix it).
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #45
Scott Esplen
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Scotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Esplen View Post
Is this guy opting out of MAAC for a flight???

Was wondering why I had a negative prop, what it meant and had to look a little before I found how and what "props" its about,,,,,,I removed the vid.....it was put up to make a point and was only copied after seeing it in another part of these forums......Paul does have a valid questions and showing a very real situation that could hypothetically apply in a "opted-out" type scenario was my intention,,,,,I have to say, the less that video is played the better...
Now how do I get back to 0 hehe

Last edited by Scott Esplen; 12-29-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Scott Esplen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #46

Total Props: 57

Looking over the scenario that has been provided by Pauld and responsed to by FloatPilot, any reasonable lawyer can come up with the argument that the remaining fliers added and abetted the outrageous performance on the "opted-out" flyer by letting his (or her) continue in their activgities that were outside of the MAAC Safety Code. As Jim McIntyre responded, guilt can be assessed on all remaining members of the club if the claim is large enough and insurance coverage is not sufficiengt.

One club had the saw "everyone is a safety officer" and then never backed up when complaints were raised.

However, it now looks as if the "old saw" is a requirement for keeping fields and maintaining our insurability. If you see someone who is not keeping within the Safety Code or Field Rules, you have a duty to your club to bring the matter to the attention of the member and/or the club executive.

Inaction is not a defenxe any longer, sad to say.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:46 PM   #47
astrofler
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Al E

Total Props: 3

Quote:

It is clear that this person is not covered by MAAC but does his operation of his model affect other modelers and the vailidity of thier MAAC insurance?
I think an argument could be easily made that no member is covered under such circumstances.

Since the MAAC safety guidelines require ALL flyers to be MAAC or AMA members, and having one person "opting out" by breaking the safety code, would that not have the field and everyone there operating outside the safety guidelines?

All other members there would also be "opting out" by allowing that person to fly and ignoring the safety guidelines, would they not?

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo".
"If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask.
His reply: "you a dinosaur"
astrofler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #48
benzzz
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: L.J.
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 5

Quote:

Scenario:

PaulD
Who says FPV is not approved.
It is to my understanding from the Newly appointed FPV Member of the Board for MACC that FPV is now recognized and is covered under MACC under certain rules, and was also stated in a conversation that if myself or anyone with permission to use the owners property that we are covered under MACC Insurance....
Just what I was told.
Savage XL T-Maxx picco.26
benzzz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #49
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 41

Maybe more clearly stated is using FPV to pilot the aircraft in non line of sight....

PaulD

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #50
DHansen
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: rippin the bring
Radio of choice:
Spektrum/JR
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11

Follow the agreed to law or don't. Talk to the local rep about the grey areas that you are unsure of. Be involved in real life not on virtual forums.
DHansen is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in