My balsa wood is too hard!!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 01:25 AM   #1
kelownafred

Total Props: 0
My balsa wood is too hard!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've been building my first RC model, a Sig LT-40 for a few days now...things were going nicely and I was having tons of fun but now I've come to a speed bump.
I'm making the slots for the Sig Easy Hinges on the wing. Now the stabilizer went great, I was a little nervous...first time doing this and I really wanted to get them right. Well they went great! So onto the slots on the wing trailing edge with confidence and.....I've come to an almost grinding halt!! The wood on the trailing edge is way harder than the stabilizer wood. I just spent 2 hours of valuable and hard to come by building time and I have two slots cut!! The Exacto blade is no match for this tough wood, I even tried a Dremel wheel but it doesn't go deep enough and if I put on a bigger wheel I'm afraid the slot will be too wide and long. Does anyone have any tips, suggestions to do this job a little faster?? Thanks for any help.
kelownafred is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:09 AM   #2
Frenchman
RCC Contributor

I am: Rene B

Fred

Check and see if any of your flying friends have what is called a slot machine. It will make short work of the slots and they will be perfect as well. If you plan on doing a lot of building it might be a worthwhile investment. $35.00 at Great Hobbies

MAAC # 68775
Frenchman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:00 AM   #3
JimMcIntyre
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim McIntyre
Radio of choice:
JR/Spectrum
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 1
I'll second the slot machine. Just don't try it on anything harder than balsa ... the little plastic cam will be toast.
JimMcIntyre is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
bentwing

Hi Kelona Fred
This is not ment to sound sarcastic, but are you sure the wood you used for the trailing edge is balsa?
bentwing is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:55 PM   #5
kelownafred

Thanks for the help guys, I stoped at my local hobby shop on the way home and picked up a set of Dubro Slotter Tools. They ddn't have the electric one but I tried the tools when I got home and they work much better than just an Exacto knife. Thanks again.
kelownafred is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
rcflyr
RCC Junior Contributor

You could also try some robart hinges they a little beefy for a trainer but you could use the small ones they're easier that slot style hinges IMO

P.S. I learned on an LT 40 you'll learn quick on that plane it's a fine trainer

Good luck
Old 05-30-2005, 03:05 AM   #7
Bipe Flyer
RCC Junior Contributor

I have a slot machine and it makes cutting slots a lot easier, but I rarely use it since I started using Robart hinges. Just drill a hole and glue it in.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #8
edmoor
RCC Apprentice

Re: My balsa wood is too hard!!!

Basswood!!!!!!!!!!!
edmoor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in