2nd plane choice - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34
Re: 2nd plane choice

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
CG Super Chipmunk.

It is one of my Fav airplanes. This is a scale airplane that flies like a low-wing trainer.

- Don't but flaps on it, just makes harder to land unless you want the added complexity for some fun

- Do replace the plastic cowl with a fiberglass one.

- Do put a FS 90 engine on it.

It will do everything you want and more.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:06 AM   #12
oldpilot
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: David E. Arenburg
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1
Thumbs up Re: 2nd plane choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DO335 View Post
Any of those planes you list will do the job. There are slight variations in how they perform to be certain. Any one of them will do though.

Here's an idea for you. Get your trainer finished and learn to fly the cr*& out of it. You will then have a much better idea of what you want and what would be appropriate in your case for that second plane. You might even find that you would prefer something a bit more challenging than the planes you listed, such as an Extra, Edge, Ultimate bipe or so on. There's nothing to stop you from graduating to one of those if you have a great foundation.

My first real trainer was a Kadet Senior, kit built and my second plane was a Diabolo 1/4 scale aerobatic monster. It worked out perfectly. What a blast.

The problem with loading up on a bunch of stuff at this stage with the future in mind is that in so many cases, once that future arrives, you wind up with a bunch of stuff which no longer fits your tastes or plans or both. When you liquidate it, you lose lots of money. You also wind up with a bunch of money tied up in stuff which for you becomes obsolete.

However, there are quite a few who have "the disease" and wind up just collecting a bunch of stuff which ultimately never gets used - gotta have at least one of each of the latest, greatest whatever it is to come out. To each his own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sled View Post
Thanks to all who replied, and the choice is ....... the Tiger 60,....... no wait the Sig 4*60 ?

Really, the Tiger 60 is my choice , if for nothing else, I like the looks of the Tiger.

Maybe I'll even get crazy and do Newbie build threat........ that should be good, CA, Epoxy, & Wood Glue everywhere!

Sled
Would be a good choice for your second plane. Fly your trainer any time you can, The more you can get out to your flying site and fly, the easier learning stage will be. Hope you have many enjoyable flights.
da
oldpilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
jeanlavallee

Total Props: 0

I was looking at electric planes by 3dhobbyshop and was wondering if some of the IMAC/3D plane on there would make a good second plane?

I originally built my cadet markII (and modifyed it to remove the dihedral for some aerobatic), but being a very slow builder, I am looking at arf now.

The other option that I was looking at was an EPP foam 3D park/indoor flyer.

Thanks

'and sorry for stealing your thread'
jeanlavallee is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #14

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanlavallee View Post
I was looking at electric planes by 3dhobbyshop and was wondering if some of the IMAC/3D plane on there would make a good second plane?

I originally built my cadet markII (and modifyed it to remove the dihedral for some aerobatic), but being a very slow builder, I am looking at arf now.

The other option that I was looking at was an EPP foam 3D park/indoor flyer.

Thanks

'and sorry for stealing your thread'
Jean, unless you are a super-hotshot pilot and have flown the cr*p out of your Cadet, I wouldn't recommend this, especially if you think that you'll go from basic aerobatics to 3D flight.

If you're interested in getting into 3D, I'd talk to the guys in your club who do fly them and get their recommendations. THey know you and what your skills are.

Also, check with them on how to detune a 3D airplane so you can learn the skills needed without having to crash a lot of times to get there.

Personally, I've only known one modeller who went from basic trainer to advanced skills in one step, but then he also was flying a Citarbia at the same time and was working on his full-size aerobatics license at the same time.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:28 PM   #15
fsone
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 6

Super sportster would be a good second model .Its quick will fly fairley slow.It will sharpen your skills.

Norm
Maac#47927
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in