Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 09:19 AM   #1
50%300SFlyer
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Clemmens

Total Props: 1
Turbine Information

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys

Here are a couple of links with some information that may be of some concern to you jet pilots. I don't know if its relevant here in Canada or not, but thought you should be aware of it, if your not already.

http://www.jetpilots.org/AMAletter.htm

http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/0204/president.htm

Happy Holidays

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-27-2003, 10:46 AM   #2
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Unless anyone plans to go to the US to fly its not an issue.

I have been following the jets VS Dave Brown issue for a while. He seems to be anything than what I would call democratic, and its too bad the jets issue in the USA is becoming so increadibly complicated.

We have it very, very good in Canada. I will say if it was as difficult to get into Turbine jets in Canada as it is in the USA, I would have a few more giant scale aerobatics planes in my hangar and a few less jets....

I am letting my long time subscription to the AMA's Model Aviation magazine go this year, as I was so po'd at what I have read in Dave's editorials I dont want any of my money going to support the AMA untill he is gone.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:45 AM   #3

Total Props: 57
I really don't see any major differences except they've made it harder to get a waiver to begin with, and that you now have to send in another form every year.
What pisses me off is that Rotary wing, and Control line turbine models only require a Self signed declaration???
And control line is limited to 20 pounds and 100mph. First of all, IMO a turbine powered control line aircraft is lame anyway, but I don't understand where they are getting their reasoning.
They've limited jets to 200mph, and C/L to 100mph, but how many 200+ aircraft are there, and C/L speed is constantly exceeding 200mph!
This is what I don't understand, somehow they are saying a turbine jet at 200mph is more dangerous than a D/F or any I/C engine plane at 200mph. A 50% 3D plane at 140mph is every bit as dangerous, and explosive as any jet. I think that Dave Brown is scared of that which he doesn't know. If you're going to impose ridiculous limits on things, at least be consistent, lets limit QM40 planes to 150mph on a closed course never to exceed 200mph in straight flight. I mean come on, how lame is this? They've taken one of the reasons people want to get into turbines and thrown it away. Yes, 200mph is a reasonable speed limit IMO, but why limit it? The people who really want to go faster will, and there really is no way to enforce it anyway.

Sounds like Dave Brown has turned AMA into the "Against modellers association"
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-27-2003, 12:12 PM   #4
Marty C
RCC Expert Contributor

Total Props: 0
Jets

Yep, we jet guy's certainly have it good in Canada.

Food for thought- 'IF EVER' we MAAC members felt the need to consider any form of a turbine waiver process in the future based upon any assumed or related saftey concerns for R/C turbine powered jets/flyers here in Canada, IMHO it should be directed more at each individulal jet model and its overall safety rather than just the pilot eg. Any newly constructed turbine powered jet model would have to be inspected once only! prior to flight when new eg. The inspection would cover thourgh pre flight of airframe construction and the inspection of turbine systems and finally witnessed by in-flight by said MAAC appointed jet turbine inspector before being allowed to fly at any MAAC sanctioned clubs or MAAC events....
This is how the MAAA in Australia deals with turbine saftey- just my 2c

That said if the wheel aint broke why try and fix it right? I think we turbine fliers here in Canada are all very saftey self concious and self policing already... We still only number in multiple dozens and certainly not the multiple of hundreds as in the U.S. It will indeed be very interesting though to watch and see how the AMA deals with the ever evolving turbine aspect of this amazing hobby.
I for one would not be surprised at all to see some major changes coming from within the AMA in 04 related to turbines and their obvious turbine related liability concerns.
Old 12-27-2003, 02:29 PM   #5
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0
They make it very complicated to fly south of the border. To me they can do what they want I just do not have to go there. Being new and about to have a turbine in the near future I do not have any problem with an inspection before a flight. When racing we had a safety inspection at the start of the day by someone else or when we had a mishap and had to do repairs. I believe in this because another pair of eyes might pick something up that I missed. I do have a problem with the amount of flights they require for a waiver and also who makes the dangerous flying decision. I have seen guys get upset with a high speed pass on the deck in front of the flight line over the runway. I have more of a problem when the guy to me is checking to see if his eyes still work by being so high and far out that it would be easy to get interferance. Just hope it does not carry over to here and spoil it for anybody that is thinking of getting into the jet hobby.
John
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in