Best 1/16 scale brushless? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #1
chriscole1983
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Best 1/16 scale brushless?

Hi and hello I am quite new to the rc scene and have a lot to learn still, so please bear with me. I recently bought a MERV with an Ez Run 4300kv 9t 1/10 scale motor and a track star leopard 60a esc. I'm having a hard time gettin the gearing right for bashing and am starting to consider replacing the guts back to stock traxxas parts. I imagine the previous owner had to shave the reciever box down to fit the oversize motor so right now the rig isn't water proof so that kinda sucks but man does it ever go like stink. I dont think the esc is waterproof eitherjust by looking at it. Right now I have a 23 tooth pinion gear and a 50 tooth spur gear. Any suggestions? I'm more into bashing but appreciate a good top speed as well. Do I stick with the bigger motor and figure out proper gearing or just convert back to stock?

Ps I am running Rhino 1550amp 3s 30c 11.1v batteries and pro line dirt Hawg tires
chriscole1983 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
chriscole1983
RCC Noob

Re: Best 1/16 scale brushless?

Also a good rim/tire combo for playing in the dirt/bashing?
Old 05-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
chriscole1983
RCC Noob

Bump
Old 05-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Will P
Radio of choice:
DX8
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1

Hey Chris! The gear on it is a 28 tooth unless you swapped it out. With the taller tires it might be better off with something in the 23-24 tooth range.

I did cut the receiver box down to fit, but on the new version of the brushed one (the one the motor mount parts are from) it does show as having a full receiver box with a 550 motor. I didn't bother trying to find the part numbers before, but here they are now:

stock vxl radio box: TRA7024

new brushed (550 titan) radio box: TRA7024X

New brushed version with 550 motor mounted:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tra7024.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	172528   Click image for larger version

Name:	tra7024x.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	172529   Click image for larger version

Name:	7105-E-Revo-Top-Chassis.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	172530  
wparsons is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Jamie James
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jamie G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 3PKS
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 2

I have a stock Titan motor you can have. Took it out of my sons Slash.
Jamie James is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

It's running a 4300kv brushless, not sure he'll want to downgrade to a brushed Titan
Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
chriscole1983
RCC Noob

Hey Will, thanks for the parts listings. I took it out last night to run those 2s turnigy packs and had a blast in the dirt. It was my first time returning home without breaking something first. Now I'm hoping the Titan box will fit under the Ez Run, because that would be awesome. Does the Ez Run work with most ESC's? What would I look for in choosing a new (waterproof) ESC? I'm not scrambling to waterproof this thing but if anything does happen to break in the future I will definitely seal it up for some wintertime fun
Oh and Jamie James thank you for the offer but after running brushless there is no alternative for me!
Old 05-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
wparsons
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
DX8

That motor will run on any ESC that can run a sensorless brushless motor (all brushless ESC's I've seen can do that).

The other radio box should fit no problem, the titan 550 is the same diameter as the motor in there and a slight bit longer. In the picture you can see the top is molded with a clearance area to clear the motor.

You might have to pull loosen the top motor mount screw and rotate the motor a bit to get the radio box in, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

You *could* try waterproofing the ESC that's in it, there are some guidelines online on how to do it. There's a guy on rcgroups.com that has videos of his esc and receiver running in a jar of water after his waterproofing coating was applied. Bare electronics, not even in their plastic cases. I forget what he uses, but if you look for posts about it in the fast electric section on rcgroups you should find them.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #9
Jamie James
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Jamie G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 3PKS
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 2

He mentioned he was thinking of putting the stock guts back in. I was just throwing it out there, it's his if he wants it.

Hope you get it figured out.
Jamie James is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
chriscole1983
RCC Noob

Thanks again for your generosity Jamie, but I was thinking stock stock, the Brushless Velineon 380 with matching ESC, purely because my buddy's stock brushless MERV performs amazing.
Will, again (and probably the 100th time): thanks for the advice. I think I'll waterproof the receiver and just leave the esc programmed for 3s lipo and run the 2s sparingly, I feel like I'm abusing the ch2 lead by unplugging it and plugging it back in constantly, the teeth on the program card already broke off and I had to Krazy Glue them back to the circuit board But that saved me from trying to find a new leopard program card or even a new esc!
I also plan on swapping out the transmission with the Mini Summit tranny if it fits and has any advantages over the stock tranny for bashing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in