General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 07:57 AM   #1
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Nats 2005

I was speaking to Gerry Shaw last evening and the idea of an all event Nats in Southern Ontario next summer in early August for four or five days is very much alive.
Gerry has a very good record of head manning successful Nats in the past so I very much hope this goes forward,and I have already volunteered to work if needed,and will probably compete in at least one event myself.
He says the basic structure is to get the clubs local to the event on board early,and also to depend on the various committee chairs for input to their own disciplines.
The potential site is being negotiated right now so an announcement one way or the other should come soon.........
Gentlemen (and Ladies),start your engines!
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
Morison
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 84
As I have said before, I support the idea of a nats ... but 4 or 5 days is not going to be long enough in a single venue. a full week (both weekends) is what needs to be planned for!
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:55 PM   #3
Jabba
RCC Expert Contributor

Total Props: 0
GREAT.....

I'm in to help out too!!!!

I will also (if all goes well) be entering too!!! (Scale)
Old 09-18-2004, 02:59 PM   #4

Total Props: 57
Keith without getting into an argument the fact that Gerry has run more than a few successful Nats speaks for itself as to his planning ability. I am sure he will use his past experience to provide enough time for the event. Wouldn't it be nice if indeed a week or more were needed to complete all the rounds. Thats what everyone is working toward building participation to the point of a week long NATS.

Dennis Pratt
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:00 PM   #5
wingman2003

Total Props: 0
sorry for being a little bit of a newb on this.....but what are nats?
wingman2003 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:52 PM   #6
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2003
The Canadian Nationals!

A competition to bring modellers from accross Canada to compete in their individual disciplines like R/C. C/L and F/F Scale, Pattern, Pylon Racing, C/L Combat and Stunt.... ah the good old days.

Yah Babby..... bring it on!

And of course Scale Aerobatics!
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2004, 04:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2003

Wingman I took a look on the MAAC site and this is a report on the 2000 Nationals it might give you a little better idea of what goes on at a Nationals. The best part is being able to observe some of the different disciplines.

http://www.maac.ca/resources/reports/2000_nats.html

Dennis Pratt
Old 09-18-2004, 10:41 PM   #8

Was there any indication of when the exact dates would be announced?

I would also agree with Keith, at a single location there is no way to run it in 4-5 days....thats maybe enough to host two RC events. He must be planning on multiple sites. It took 3 days to run just the pattern event back in 2000 in Vancouver.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:39 PM   #9

Chad it depends on the site. When it was in Tillsonburg we used the airport and it was long enough for 2 pattern flight lines, 2 imac flight lines. 2 scale flight lines and at the far end pylon. On the fueling apron control line racing, stunt and scale I belive. On the grass out near the asphalt parking space was control line combat. The only off site was the glider events as the other field was much more conducive to that event. Indoor failed to field enough of an interest but if that had gone there was another off site place for them as well. I would assume if Gerry is planning something along the same lines the site would have to be large like an airport or something.

Dennis Pratt
Old 09-19-2004, 12:00 AM   #10

Sure you can host that many events at one time on a full size runway, but its going to be difficult to run 4 events like that and maintain frequency separation. Sounds pretty risky for frequency conflicts....I would certainly be nervous about frequency control with that many RC events going on at once in close proximity.

Pattern in Muncie draws around 130 flyers, and it is a massive amount of effort on the organizers part to keep everyone separated on just three lines, in fact we are only allowed on certain frequencies dependant on class.

You are talking 7 separate flight lines, with likely more than 130 competitors in all those events, you would need awesome volunteers monitoring all that and a well thought out frequency matrix system to pull it off. Can it be done, I suppose, is it feasible, I dont think so.

Why the push to have it over in 5 days? Vancouver 2000 lasted 9 days, 250+ pilots overall, and was flown at multiple sites. Pattern, Scale, and Pylon were the only events held at the main airport, all other events were at other locations.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in