Is the art of gliding dead? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:13 PM   #21
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Larry
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 42
Re: Is the art of gliding dead?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Only 1 of my 4 E gliders started life as an E glider. The other 3 are antiques which were converted. My scratch built Grand Esprit floats with a very slow sink rate & it doesn't take much of a thermal to make it defy gravity. This summer I intend to add my new scratch built wings to the Cumulus 2800 I bought from Bill a few years ago. They change it from a swept wing 2.8 M to a 3 M straight wing with ailerons & maybe spoilers. I built the wings in a way to allow spoiler installation but haven't cut the covering to add them. The wiring & servo mounts are in place but maybe I can use the ailerons as spoilers through programming as if having flapperons. The new wings are lighter than the foam core wings.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:22 PM   #22
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

Cool Larry......photos when your done please.

Bill
Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 PM   #23
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Will do. Here's one showing it with the wings before I covered them. I see I have to re shrink them again before heading out back to fly. Sure miss silk & dope. I just have a bit more work to finish my full size Buzzard Bombshell which I covered in Worldtex fabric & I see it needs a bit more shrinking too but the 3/4 size version I built never needs re shrinking which maybe the result of spraying it with a coat of solvent based automotive clear a few years ago (when I had mixed too much for a job).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2929.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	591538  

Old 03-31-2015, 10:50 PM   #24
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Nice work Larry! The built up gliders are work so much better than the plastic and foam store bought stuff.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:01 AM   #25
mwavesdave

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24

The best flight I had last year, was with my 8 foot telemaster. I kept hitting a thermal at our site, so flew around till it ran out of fuel, then hit the thermal, and stayed in it for the better part of an hour. All while sitting in a lawn chair, chatting with other members, and drinking my coffee. Uber relaxing. Slope soaring with my tiny ASK, and the Spirit Elite have the same effect. No noise, slow and easy, very relaxing!
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:36 AM   #26
cicopo
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Thanks Merv. Dave that must have been great. Mighty long flight for a power plane.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:02 AM   #27
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12

I came into the possession of what I believe is an old Gentle Lady, complete with a high start. Sadly the tail is doinked and will have to be rebuilt. The fuse is glassed, and the wing covering is in poor shape, but it has a "Canadian Soaring Society" decal on it.

She looks like she has had a lot of air time, and more than one rough landing. Having a permanent bubble in at my flying site it could open up a whole new aspect of the hobby I've never taken part in!
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #28
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Can Fly View Post
I came into the possession of what I believe is an old Gentle Lady, complete with a high start. Sadly the tail is doinked and will have to be rebuilt. The fuse is glassed, and the wing covering is in poor shape, but it has a "Canadian Soaring Society" decal on it.

She looks like she has had a lot of air time, and more than one rough landing. Having a permanent bubble in at my flying site it could open up a whole new aspect of the hobby I've never taken part in!
Sounds like a John Hipwell glider. Is it orange/blue?

I have thought how nice it would be on the right day to hand launch a 3M glider from your yard, float out and grab a thermal. Spend a couple of hours in lift. You must have some beautiful mornings there in the summer.
-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 04-02-2015, 12:14 PM   #29
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12

This one is Red with a cream colored fuse. It doesn't look like the covering on the wing is going to stick back down where it belongs, and the control strings to the speed brakes is broken. I'm thinking that the wing will be getting new covering.

Yes, I'm lucky as far as gliders go. There are lots of rolling hills with different temps that lend themselves to good thermal action. The pure aerobatic sloper probably will never get worn out, when there is enough wind I hunker down in the house rather than make the 15 mile trip to the Greenan hills.

Is the Art of gliding dead? I sure hope not, I've learned more about flying from a glider than any fuel powered plane could ever could. Unlike Merv, I don't need any more exercise, I like e-gliders. Saves that long walk to retrieve a poorly planned flight or landing!

Probably shouldn't say this, as it may jinx me, but what gliders have taught me about flying has saved many a dead stick fuel powered plane landing. The is proof, but its a long story!
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #30
kaisor
RCC Noob

I am: Kai S

Total Props: 0

Hell No!-
When you reach My age (80)!! and it's a chore carrying large scale airplanes,fuel etc. and your reaction time has slowed down, get your self a nice glider and a Lawnchair! nothing more relaxing and challenging than hitting a nice thermal staying up for hours (No refuelling!!)
A day like to day with nice puffy Cumulus clouds and a couple of my Gliders brings back memories of my youth when I flew full scale Gliders-
Boy it's fun growing old!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150429_125541 copy.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	750.7 KB
ID:	611001  
kaisor is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in