Thinking of buying a new Heli - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 05-20-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
robpreston
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rob P
Radio of choice:
JR 11X

Total Props: 0
Thinking of buying a new Heli

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hi guys

I'm thinking of buying a new heli
I have a Walkera 60B and now that it's hard to get parts, looking at the Copter X 450 - 500
Whats everyones thoughts on these?

http://www.rotortech.ca/osc/product_...roducts_id=154
http://www.rotortech.ca/osc/product_...roducts_id=559

once you go Yak you never go back!!
robpreston is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #2
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: Thinking of buying a new Heli

I set up/flew a copterx450 for a friend.

Basically it is a TREX450 clone. Just like the Trex, it flew great. No issues.

Haven't flown the 500 so I cant comment on that one.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
rome
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Romeo R
Radio of choice:
Futaba/Taranis
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 9

i just started flying my HK GT 500 i got from Mike on this site, so far so good no problem, i find it better than ny 450, more visible anyway. For my style of flying 5 S lipo is enough power, unless you go 3d then you may have to go 6S. With the exception go the GY 401 gyro, the whole set up is HK . this set up looks promising, again for regular flying.
maac #38176
sport flyer
rome is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
4wdmt
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joel D

Total Props: 8

I'll definitely go for the 500 size also. Owning 450 and 500 T-Rexs, I like flying the 500 more. Stable yet responsive, even with some gusty wind around. Not to mention what rome mentioned...you see the heli more farther.

Good thing about the 450. Parts are much cheaper and can be a good pratice heli for any new maneuvers.
4wdmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #5

Total Props: 57

Gaui just announced a 500 size bird for really cheap to get people to buy from them check it out as well. Just remember you get what you pay for.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
hifly2104
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9c
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 15

not sure about Gaui having a 500 coming out but I have the 550 really nice heli . It uses 2x3S or a 6S Ask Greg or Shane when they are coming back in stock http://www.rotortech.ca/osc/product_...roducts_id=464
HK sells the same Heli for less money but also less pieces. Rotor tech comes complete less receiver Gyro and rudder servo. Comes with servos motor batteries ESC bec and ships for free

Sponsored by.
Small Pay cheque
Understanding Wife
Loving Daughter

Thought for the day

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or hump it.

Pee on it and walk away.
hifly2104 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
bensidus197217
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: jim w
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 9

500 is the size you want I have gone through the gambit. Electric Honeybee ,Cp Pro,Shogun,Trex 450 clone( not bad there but still a victum of the wind) Blade SR, Corona 120,Blade MSR,Belt CP,now for Nitro Lite Machines 110 and a Century Hawk Pro (the best behaved of the bunch once you get it running). All the above take full attention but bigger is more forgiving especially in the wind. I am now putting together a HK500 with metal gear servos and most importantly a KDS flymentor. Why a flightmentor when I can operate these things without one? Because I want to fly scale get some bodies for it and I want it to behave like the real thing and the Flightmentor will get me there. So I have spent the last two years trying bto get it right for me and I think this is it. Also Nitro can be noisy and get the neighbours steamed at you stuff is also not cheap and with HK batteries for your bird flying is much cheaper. Yes I have used HK stuff and I am more than happy with it the only drawback is the american dollar markup and shipping cost
bensidus197217 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #8
Phil Noel
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Phil N.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14MZ
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensidus197217 View Post
....and a Century Hawk Pro (the best behaved of the bunch once you get it running). All the above take full attention but bigger is more forgiving especially in the wind. ....... Also Nitro can be noisy and get the neighbours steamed at you stuff is also not cheap and with HK batteries for your bird flying is much cheaper.
Considering your good experience with the Century Hawk Pro, you should take a serious look at their Swift 550NX (520mm to 560mm blades). About the same size, better power to weight ratio and unlike the nitro, no noise, no throttle curve or needle valves to contend with and even long flights if geared for duration....and all for about the same cost as getting a much smaller 500 (425mm blades) into the air.

As it uses standard sized servos, you can use standard servos also, that can be used on any bigger helis later.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
belcom
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Vlad K
Radio of choice:
JR X9503
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 8

450s are quick and harder to learn on. I crashed my 450 sport more than I would like so far. twice today actually 500 is much more stable.

I just ordered a CopterX 500SE V2 from here...

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=6193

only $125 + $40 for shipping and this includes CF blades. It's a nice deal. You can choose to ship it as gift right at checkout and no taxes or duties will apply. I've had experience with EXI 500 and that kit is not very good. I made it run well but it required a lot of troubleshooting and replacement Align parts.

From what I've read so far CopterX seems to be the best quality clone out there comes with all aluminum head and tail and fully compatible with trex 500 parts. Which will make it easier and faster to repair.

Best prices in toronto for Align parts here... www.rotorquest.com
belcom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:51 AM   #10
OICU812
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Shawn S.
Radio of choice:
Vcontrol

Total Props: 36

Get something larger then a 450 IMO, bigger is better. Easier to learn on, more stable and will take you further in the hobby as well. Only thing a 450 is good for is winter gym flying when you have to fly it, otherwise kick em to the curb.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in