Servo question - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #1
Motorsports Image

Total Props: 0
Servo question

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ive got a 1/8 OFNA buggy and I noticed that the steering servo is fast when I got the car up in the air, but rather slow when the car is sitting on the ground. I thought it may be weak batteries so I swapped them out for rechargeables and still got the same result. I am thinking the servo is crapped out but I want to hear from others on what they thought.

Is the Servo Crapped Out?
Is this Normal servo function on the heavier cars?
What reasonable priced servo should I be looking at to replace it?

Thanks
Motorsports Image is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
mpetre
"F" Main

re

It sounds like normal servo function when you put the car on the ground. Chris it sounds like you are using four cells for your RX. You should try a 5 cell RX pack. It will give you more torque and speed from your servos. If you upgrade your servo expect to pay $80-120. Since the steering servo takes the most punishment I would recommend that you get the best you can afford. Hitec servos are reasonably priced 5985's are decent.
Byron Fuels
Skycraft Hobbies
2005 + 2007 Sammy's S.S. 1/8 buggy champ
2007& 08 GLORCS MT Champion
2008 Southern Ontario indoor MT Champion
2009 Canadian Winter nats 3rd 1/8 Pro Buggy
mpetre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:40 AM   #3
imported_RCcanuck
RCC Expert Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorsports Image View Post
Ive got a 1/8 OFNA buggy and I noticed that the steering servo is fast when I got the car up in the air, but rather slow when the car is sitting on the ground. I thought it may be weak batteries so I swapped them out for rechargeables and still got the same result. I am thinking the servo is crapped out but I want to hear from others on what they thought.

Is the Servo Crapped Out?
Is this Normal servo function on the heavier cars?
What reasonable priced servo should I be looking at to replace it?

Thanks
I'm guessing its a stock servo.....as stated hitec is a good servo brand.....If your not racing the buggy I would suggest the hitec 645 MG servo retails for around 40 bux.....plenty of TQ for bashing.....and as stated add a reciever "hump pack" which greatly improves the servos performance.
Paris Junction Hobbies/Morgan Fuels/Ebay
Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool
imported_RCcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #4

Total Props: 57
Martin,i`m looking for a couple of servo`s for next year, throttle and steering. Would you suggest the Hitec and which one is best for me for the $$ ( one that will do the job, but not break the bank ).

Thank`s

P.S. You and Chewy going anywhere to race this winter ??
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
skidoos
RCC Contributor

I am: joe zuccaro

andrew i use hitec 5955 on steerin and futaba brushless on throttle wicked combo, i always had bad luck with hitec, but this servo has lasted me 2 seasons so far, and the brushless is fasssssssst
skidoos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #6

Total Props: 57
I`ve heard a lot of good thing`s about the Hitec, 5955 you say, Ok i think i`ll try that one out, maybe two, the throttle also.

Thank`s Joe.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
Motorsports Image

Ya, I am using the standard 4 cell reciever pack that comes with the car. I kinda figured that I should use a 5 cell pack as that was what I have seen in all the pictures of race buggies.

Martin, Ill be in to see you guys some time during the week. I have a few tuing questions for ya and wanna ask you about my brake set-up. What night will you be at the shop?

I finally got the car running with a little bit of hassle. The DTX pull start I got wasn't the right one, but I was able to get an HPI one from a friend that was the same as the Force one. Once I got home and got it all back together it still wouldn't fire. I came in on Saturday Morning to bring back the pull start and picked up a couple new glow plugs. Once I installed the new plug the thing fired on the first pull.

Thanks Guys
Motorsports Image is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #8
tekno
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ashton P

I use the 965MG for Throttle and 5955TG for steering. I like the combo. Tekno.
tekno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
skidoos
RCC Contributor

I am: joe zuccaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_67 View Post
I`ve heard a lot of good thing`s about the Hitec, 5955 you say, Ok i think i`ll try that one out, maybe two, the throttle also.

Thank`s Joe.
andrew u wont need 5955 for throttle, u need a fast and pretty tork on throttle thats y i use futaba brushless they fast and got about 180 ounce of torque versus the 5955 had 333 ounces of torque
skidoos is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:40 AM   #10
losi 8 racer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Gregory Greenidge

bias

JR 9100t is also a good option as well as ace servos
DX3R
Galaxy Hobby
losi 8 racer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in