GY520 or GY401 - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #11
thuebner
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Travis H

Total Props: 13
Re: GY520 or GY401

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssa View Post
Which servo do you suggest to use with the g401b??
I've been eyeing up this gyro as well, as it seems to be getting glowing reviews from those who use it. It may not be a top end gyro, but if it works as well as a Futaba GY401 then it should work for me as I am just learning. Can't argue with the price.
I need to decide on a tail servo, then I should have my wish list complete.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 PM   #12
Darksider

Total Props: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrc View Post
don't get either, buy a xmhobbies g401b. Hold as well as a gy401 and it's 36 bucks
Hmmmm...that is a pretty broad statement. May I be so bold as to ask what helis you have flown them in? As well as what kind of flying you have done with them?

Last edited by Darksider; 10-20-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Darksider is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #13
Darksider

Quote:
use hxt900s, they are hands down the best servo bang for the buck. they are only $4 each and many people replace their align and hitec servos with them because the performance is so amazing for the price.
Same questin as above:

Hmmmm...that is a pretty broad statement. May I be so bold as to ask what helis you have flown them in? As well as what kind of flying you have done with them?

Old 10-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
newrc
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

You obviously haven't seen hxt900s fly. Me personally, i haven't done any flying with them yet, but people at the flying field i go to have, and give them all they've got, they can handle loops, rolls, tic tocs, death spirals, low altitude inverted hovering. All i'm saying is that at $4 per servo you can't go wrong especially when starting out. Not everyone can afford to get hs5065mg's as a beginner. I could buy 10 hxt900s for the price of one big brand name servo with the same or almost the same quality. And believe me, carbonite gears doesn't make up the $40 difference. I suggest you actually research them and try them out.

As for the gyro, again, try and ye shall see.
Remember, the only reason you pay $45 for one servo or $150 for a gyro is brand recognition. Same product, different name.

As for a tail servo, this is all you need, best not get an analog servo for the tail.

http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store..._%28JR_Plug%29
newrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:57 PM   #15
marcham
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Marc P
Radio of choice:
JR x9303 2.4
# of RCs: 8

Quote:
You obviously haven't seen hxt900s fly. Me personally, i haven't done any flying with them yet, but people at the flying field i go to have,
So basically, you are recommending an analog servo, for the tail, that you haven't used yourself?

HXT-900 are fine for small planes and even cyclic on the Blade 400 but they are not a good choice for a rudder servo. They lack the speed and precision that most users are looking for in that particular application.

If all you plan on doing is tail in hover and don't mind correcting the tail and using lower gain values, then it may work ok (assuming it has enough torque for your application).

Quote:
Remember, the only reason you pay $45 for one servo or $150 for a gyro is brand recognition
Well I'm sorry, but that is entirely false. Product development, testing, tuning, calibration, warranty, customer service, marketing and of course profit all come to play when pricing a product. Usually, the no name brand products (ie: cheap knock-offs) have higher profit margins than the brand name products because they use lower quality components and use reverse engineering. As has been the case of every reverse engineered automotive engine in China, the quality just isn't there, despite the specifications being similar.

For example, if you look at the Spartan gyros, each gyro is individually calibrated in order to compensate for very small variances in electronic components. You do not get that with cheap gyros.

Futaba gyros have a temperature compensation built in, which minimizes drift. The imitations lack this feature, which causes drift as the gyro warms up during flight.

You can sell/buy a used GY401 for USD80-90 even after several years of use because they have been recognized as a quality product that lasts. Spartan gyros sell for about $130-150 used (almost the same cost as new). Cheap knock offs have virtually no resale market.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, looking at a brand that has virtually no recognition, MKS servos are not well known in North America but they sell for about the same price (if not more) as comparable Futaba / Hitec. Performance is exceptional.

Last edited by marcham; 10-21-2009 at 11:07 PM.
marcham is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #16
newrc
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
So basically, you are recommending an analog servo, for the tail, that you haven't used yourself?

HXT-900 are fine for small planes and even cyclic on the Blade 400 but they are not a good choice for a rudder servo. They lack the speed and precision that most users are looking for in that particular application.

If all you plan on doing is tail in hover and don't mind correcting the tail and using lower gain values, then it may work ok (assuming it has enough torque for your application).

Well I'm sorry, but that is entirely false. Product development, testing, tuning, calibration, warranty, customer service, marketing and of course profit all come to play when pricing a product. Usually, the no name brand products (ie: cheap knock-offs) have higher profit margins than the brand name products because they use lower quality components and use reverse engineering. As has been the case of every reverse engineered automotive engine in China, the quality just isn't there, despite the specifications being similar.

For example, if you look at the Spartan gyros, each gyro is individually calibrated in order to compensate for very small variances in electronic components. You do not get that with cheap gyros.

Futaba gyros have a temperature compensation built in, which minimizes drift. The imitations lack this feature, which causes drift as the gyro warms up during flight.

You can sell/buy a used GY401 for USD80-90 even after several years of use because they have been recognized as a quality product that lasts. Spartan gyros sell for about $130-150 used (almost the same cost as new). Cheap knock offs have virtually no resale market.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, looking at a brand that has virtually no recognition, MKS servos are not well known in North America but they sell for about the same price (if not more) as comparable Futaba / Hitec. Performance is exceptional.

If you want to spend more than you need to then go right ahead, the link i posted for the tail servo was the wrong link. No i don't recommend an analog servo for the tail. Unless you're competing as a sponsor, you don't need top quality brand name electronics.

Basically my point is, these electronics are as close as you can get to hitec servos or futaba gyros FOR THE PRICE. I know people who have the xm g401b gyro and a gy401 and notice no difference between the two. Don't tell me anything different until you can buy hs65mgs for $4 or a gy401 for $36. Plus, you don't seem to recognise the fact that the OP is a beginner, as is myself. Unless you have $200 to spare on servos alone, plus another $100 on a gyro, plus another $50-$100 on a good ESC. Also, as a beginner helicopter pilot we are prone to crashes and thus, need money to repair the actual heli yet also have the possibility of breaking your expensive ass servos, gyro, etc. Until you can fly without crashing, don't use really expensive parts unless you want to buy them over and over again.

I'm no pro but at least i know smart spending habits. Again, if you have the money then fine buy the $40 servos and the $140 gyro and the $50-$100 quality esc, but don't go crying to someone when you have a blade strike with your gyro or strip the gears(if plastic) or even burn out your servos from a crash.

Sorry if i seem arrogant or ignorant I'm just stating my opinion.

Last edited by newrc; 10-22-2009 at 10:47 AM.
newrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
Darksider

I think there is something here that you are not seeing.

If the beginner pasy $36.00 for his gyro and $4.00 for servos that may well be up to the task of basic training, when he does want to practice more demanding maneuvers or the same ones with more precision so that he can be more precise when close to the ground, he may find that he will have to go to the 401/9254 combination and get better cyclic servos.

If he buys these from the begining, they of course can take him through the training but also the more demanding flight envelope with precision. So all he will have spent, was the cost of these items.

Going cheap initially will mean he will still have to spend the cost of the better gyro and servos latter. So after a year or so he will have spent more money.

Of course there is also the safety issue. I have been flying helis for many years and have developed 1 main criterai for my servos. And that is that they be proven to be reliable (have a VERY LOW failure rate) as aq sloppy or less precise servo will not crash my heli. They will only make it harder to fly. But a failed servo will cause me a lot of money and time in repairs. So that more then the money saved initially may be spent later in repair costs (and that is hoping the crash did not cause anyone personal injury).

I have a box of low cost servos and gyros that worked fine for training but proved to be much to failure prone for my liking. Heck I cannot even get myself to sell them at our annual club swap meet, simply because I would feel so bad when (note I did not say if) they do cause a crash.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #18

Total Props: 57

I had a blade 400 crashed several times due to stripped gears in mid flight cost me two complete airframes and blades, so cheap servo failure "twice" with two total losses = $480.00 in repairs devided by two failed servo's actual cost of two cheapy servo's is really $252.00 per servo.How much are good servo's worth? Understand yet?
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #19

Total Props: 57

I fly 2 Futaba 401's in 50 size birds and one JR 770 3D in another,the 401's work great.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #20
MarkToo
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Mark E
Radio of choice:
JR 12X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Remember, the only reason you pay $45 for one servo or $150 for a gyro is brand recognition. Same product, different name.
You can't possibly believe that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in