Boeing PT17 Stearman - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
AlexL
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: AlexL
Radio of choice:
JR9503

Total Props: 2
Talking Boeing PT17 Stearman

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Dear All,

I have recently adquired a Ziroli PT17 built by an old friend. It was done in RCAF colour, hence, with the desigator of Boeing PT27 - enclosed canopy which never happened because Boeing just delivered the open-cockpit versions.

Anyway, a true TOC quality, rivets, piano hinge for all the panels, pinking strip on each rib, true flying wires, etc, etc. But when I put the plane on a scale, that'e where the trouble surfaced. It weights a little bit over 23 lbs, way above the recommended 16-17 lbs as detailed in the plan set.

It has a Zenoah G38 with spring starter upfront, and dummy rotary engine filled with lead inside, and more lead weight inside the tank compartment.

I have since removed the dummy engine and the lead weight to see it will lighten up the plane or not. It helps, and it now weighs 19+lbs, but the other major problem now is the tail-heavy balance.

I had moved the G38 and extended it 1/2 inch forward, but it is not helping, it is still very tail heavy.

It might after all, remains a hangar queen, I hope not. It is a piece of Canadian history when Canada committed to train some CommonWealth pilots, using the PT27 before they transition to Spitfire, Hurricane, or other warbirds.

Any thought on this? Anyway to lighten the tail a bit without major operations, or just fly the damn thing at 23lbs. I just hate to loose it on the first landing which I imagine, would be at a very high speed so that I wouldn't stall it.

Thx in advance,

Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pt17 002.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	166845   Click image for larger version

Name:	pt17 003.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	166846   Click image for larger version

Name:	pt17 005.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	166847  

Last edited by AlexL; 09-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.
AlexL is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 126
Re: Boeing PT17 Stearman

I just checked Ziroli's website and he lists the rec. weight for the 77" ws P-17 at 16-20 pounds with a wing area of 1725 sq inches. This works out to about 4.7 ounces per square inch of wing area and should be no problem at all flying it at 23 pounds. The G-38 should fly it in a pretty scale manner but don't expect a lot of vertical!

Last edited by Trumpetman; 10-11-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in