Old 07-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Alex29
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Alexandre G
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

Total Props: 1
Opinion on engines...

For about the same price, i have choice between Wren 70 or a JetCat P80SE...

15.5 lbs weight 2.1lbs -----22lbs weight 2.9lbs, 9oz/min...

I heard that wren had a faster spool up time...

Any opinion of owners will be appreciated!!
Thanks,
Alex
Alex29 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
kev-o
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin f
Radio of choice:
Spektrum /Vcontrol

Total Props: 13
Re: Opinion on engines...

i have a jetcat p70 and a recently purchased wren 54mk4 so far happy with both. Peter is great to deal with and so are jetcat ... if i were looking for another i would buy canadian and deal with Peter at Altecare
MA XLPRO2K Long live the flybar
kev-o is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 41

The Jetcat P80 is an old design that burns more fuel and is heavier. Yes, it does put out a bit more thrust but at a price.

If you want a Jetcat get the P70. I have a Wren SuperSport and its a great engine. Light, burns less fuel and fast spool up time. The Wren 70 sounds good too.

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #4
storrie23
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Chuck S

Total Props: 0

Try a Jet Central VT-90 Rabbit, In a class of its own, it puts out 19 lbs of thrust. Its weight
is 2lbs. and is the quickest accellerating engine ever. price is competitive and Comes with Life Time Warranty. ask around about this engine.
Chuck Storrie
Jet Central Sales Canada
storrie23 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:22 AM   #5
lilphil26
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: The cookie monster
Radio of choice:
Futaba baby!!!
# of RCs: 911

Total Props: 7

I recently purchased a wren 70 off of peter from altecare, and I absolutely love it. I havent flown it yet, but it will be going in for its 25 hour maintenance soon if I keep starting it up in the driveway to smell those kero fumes haha. The wren is a lot smaller than the p70, with almost the same amount of thrust and super quick spool up times. Not only that, the price of the wren 70 full auto has come way down.
lilphil26 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #6
luv2flyrc
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: A. Nonymous

Total Props: 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauld View Post
The Jetcat P80 is an old design that burns more fuel and is heavier. Yes, it does put out a bit more thrust but at a price.

If you want a Jetcat get the P70. I have a Wren SuperSport and its a great engine. Light, burns less fuel and fast spool up time. The Wren 70 sounds good too.
I have the new P-80se and love it, it's completely revamped and is not an old design. It spools up as quick as anything else that I've seen. The Wrens are great engines too! This is not really an apples to apples comparison though, Usually airframes for both these engines would not cross over as the Jetcat is much bigger and heavier, unless you plan to put the Wren 70 or P-80se into something like a Boomerang Sprint that would accomodate either. If this is the case go with the Jetcat, the performance will be worth it. If you want to go Wren, u'd have to go with the supersport and even that wouldn't make your boomerang go like the P-80se.

I bought my P-80se in Canada through Ed @ Great Northern Models.

Mike

Last edited by luv2flyrc; 07-16-2009 at 05:03 PM.
luv2flyrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Alex29
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Alexandre G
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

Total Props: 1

I found the same info about the Jetcat SE, also seems to be the less expensive here in Canada...

I'm still not able to find a distributor of the Rabbit here in Canada, i found only in US wich make the price more expensive than the others....

I know we may not allowed to post commercial links here, but if someone have one for this Rabbit, please, send me a PM...

Thanks!
Alex29 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #8
storrie23
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Chuck S

Hi
The Jet Central Sales Canada can be contacted at 289 362-1373, that is in St. Catharines Ont. or e-mail at cstorrie@cogeco.ca I do not have a websight.

Chuck Storrie
Jet Central Sales Canada
storrie23 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #9
kim
RCC Noob

Hi Alex,

I'm Ed's wife. I wanted to post seperately to avoid any confict of interest on his part as this is my own research. Here is the link to Jet Central's website. Make sure you understand it's a lifetime LIMITED warranty and what is and is not covered. Read it for yourself before you make your decision. http://www.jetcentral.com.mx/english/garantia.htm

Either way, I don't doubt whatever direction you choose you will get a good product. We've met the JetCentral team as well as JetCat's and both are excellent people with well engineered products.

Kim Macdonald
Old 07-26-2009, 12:48 AM   #10
Marty C
RCC Expert Contributor

I have tried a lot of the different brands over the years and theres pros and cons for most as well. One often critical question thats overlooked by many is the longer term ownership costs involved ie service and repairs of each brand, you need to learn where any turbine might need to be sent for service and real associated costs involved at said service intervals and likely down time involved. Having to send a turbine out of the country for repair is going to be a costly exercise (shipping/insurance) and takes extra time. These issues need to be considered and researched.

Certainly not the least expensive to choose from but for overall performance along with class leading engineering and build quality I choose these engines:

50 lb + class turbines- I like AMT Netherlands for their simply bullit proof performance, and simply outstanding engineering quality, although they are heavy and expensive and require going back to Europe for service... that said the Oly is still king power wise for me, upward of 60 lb and with very fast acceleration is a lot of fun!!!

35 lb + class turbines- I like the Jets Munt Merlin M-160 with near on 40 lb thrust is the current performance class leader according to RCJI and GTBA reviews and tests. Again super fast acceleration and good fuel economy.

30 lb + class turbines- I still like my good ol TJT 3000 V2 performance wise, although the new Wren XL 200 now looks the business and then theres the new EvoJet 130 also with its bullit proof kero start. really theres lots of turbine options in this thrust class more so than all others. But for me personally if shopping for a new 30 lber today its likely a toss up between the Wren XL 200 and EvoJet Booster 130 here...

20 lb + class turbines- Again Jets Munt M-90, EvoJet Booster 90, Jets Central Rabbit spring to mind as likely overall best class performers.

Under 20 lb thrust is still really Wren's domain and rightly so... that said the new Kingtech K80E is a good 18 lber also and the price is hard to ignore.

There are other good options and some very good products out there, but if you do serious performance comparisons and compare long term ownership service cost evaluation your bound to narrow down dramatically the options best suited to your requirments.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in