Hokusei EPP Yak 55m Build Thread - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 06-12-2012, 08:38 PM   #21
j3_av8r
RCC Contributor

I am: Andy S

Total Props: 3
Re: Hokusei EPP Yak 55m Build Thread

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Here is a pic of Trevor smiling after his 2nd place finish at the Fergus Pattern Primer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03081.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	154754  

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #22
tch_popeye
RCC Apprentice

I am: Trevor Haskett

Total Props: 0
Re: Hokusei EPP Yak 55m Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3_av8r View Post
Here is a pic of Trevor smiling after his 2nd place finish at the Fergus Pattern Primer...
So, Andy spilled the good news already.

The plane was great to fly! My own little(r) foamy could not have possibly handled the windspeed that day, cleanly, for a pattern contest. Sure it's indestructible, but it pitches and rolls really badly in such a wind.

The Yak was surprisingly stable and tracked very well. Like Andy said, we basically copied the setup manually, number for number, from his Tx into mine. My first takeoff was in front of the judges and being scored... good thing for the trim lap in Sportsman, I only had to add a little bit of aileron trim to keep it flat.

Although light for what it is, my initial impression was still that it has substantial mass for a foamy - this is part of what keeps it under control in the wind. However, it floated and bobbed on landing, so it's obviously not too heavy for its wings.

The judges *were* quite impressed with the way the Yak handled the weather that day!

-Trev
tch_popeye is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #23
j3_av8r
RCC Contributor

I am: Andy S

Total Props: 3
Thumbs up Re: Hokusei EPP Yak 55m Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
Wow, Trevor used the plane in a precision aerobatic competition and won a second place in the class! I am very impressed!

I am very happy to hear that the plane performed well. Thanks a lot, Andy!

The Hokusei Yak is the lightest among the 3 Yaks being tested. Maybe it could use a slightly small motor for a better CG position. Or a smaller battery could help. Right now, the wing tube is preventing from moving the battery towards the tail further?

Best regards,
I was able to move the battery pack one bay aft. I turned the battery on edge and it just fit. This bay has the wing tube passing through it as well as the wing hold-down screws. The first step was to fit a couple of pieces of black EPP to level out the floor. I then needed a way to fasten the battery into place. Taking advantage of the wing hold down screws, I made a lite ply plate with a velvro strap on it and another piece of velcro to hold the battery from sliding fore/aft. This piece then screws in and holds the battery and the wing in place at the same time. I think the photos probably explain it better. In the end, this shifted the CG almost 10 mm aft. So now it balances just aft of the recommended position.

I flew it again today (it was breezy again!) and it is a much better 3D machine. It hovers much better and it will now do flatter spins. I will try adding a little more tailweight still. One of these days I will get to fly it when it is calm! Some of the guys at the Hespeler field today commented on how well it flew for a being "just" a foamie.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2349.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	155084   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2350.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	155085   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2351.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	155086   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2352.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	155087  

Name:	100_2353.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	155088  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in