Old 09-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
htse
RCC Apprentice

I am: Hugo T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

Total Props: 0
questions about lipos

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
i have been looking for lipos to buy on the internet, and if i guess right, the more C u get the faster it could be discharged? and the higher mAh is the amount of run time ?? but what is the difference between the high "C" and high "mAh" that sells for 200$ and 30$?? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23553 they seem like the same to me... is it okey to run the cheap 30$ 5700mAh, 50C 2s lipos?
htse is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
RemeCA
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jereme BP

Re: questions about lipos

Zippy's are a decent cheap brand, same goes with Turnigy and Gens Ace. They're just fine, you may see a slight performance difference if you measure every volt discharged, but in the real world they're equitable.

Other good online stores for cheap lipos if you want more options:
www.hobbypartz.com
www.nitrorcx.com
RemeCA is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
htse
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemeCA View Post
Zippy's are a decent cheap brand, same goes with Turnigy and Gens Ace. They're just fine, you may see a slight performance difference if you measure every volt discharged, but in the real world they're equitable.

Other good online stores for cheap lipos if you want more options:
www.hobbypartz.com
www.nitrorcx.com
oh nice! do u know where can i get them in store around GTA area? im located at richmond hill and guelph, so anything near either of these would be nice!

Old 09-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

As far as I know, no one in Canada retails these cheaper brands for land vehicles. I think one of the online retailers in the toronto area carries gensace but only in sizes more suited for flight.

Keep in mind you can't get USPS shipping from the US anymore only UPS, Fedex...etc.

The hobbyking ones are fine for bashing around so unless you're competitive racing you don't need the best. The C ratings on hobbyking lipos are misleading though, I'd suggest you take their "constant" rating as more of the burst rating.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
htse
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
As far as I know, no one in Canada retails these cheaper brands for land vehicles. I think one of the online retailers in the toronto area carries gensace but only in sizes more suited for flight.

Keep in mind you can't get USPS shipping from the US anymore only UPS, Fedex...etc.

The hobbyking ones are fine for bashing around so unless you're competitive racing you don't need the best. The C ratings on hobbyking lipos are misleading though, I'd suggest you take their "constant" rating as more of the burst rating.
ya i will just be bashing around, maybe do some racing, but not going to compete, i think i'd be fine then! what do u mean by the "constant"? so the higher the C is, it doesnt mean it have a faster discharge rate? how is it misleading? also i just bought a summit on ebay from some store in the US, they r shipping through USPS to my PO box in university?? what do u mean they cannot ship through USPS anymore? does that mean i will not receive my item? but i got a tracking number for it?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
waylander
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Chang P
Radio of choice:
JR 12X/DX3R
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 50

USPS will no long ship anything with lithium batteries internationally, your summit should be fine though.

There are two C ratings on any battery, the constant and the burst. The burst is higher as that's a short term rating when you gun it. The constant is what the battery will put out normally. What I meant was that hobbyking lipos are over rated so their constant 50C rating is more like a constant 30C and their burst is more like 50C.
Snowcat: 1 Kyosho Blizzard (electric)
Snowmobiles: 2 x Polaris (toy grade), art attack electric
waylander is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Arn
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Arn H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Here's another way of relating the meaning of "C" ...... think of your home sound system ..... a receiver or amp will have somewhat the same thing .....ie: Output - 200W-RMS / 300W PEAK ..... RMS (Root Mean Square .... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square ) is what the unit can deliver on a "Constant" basis for your listening pleasure ..... PEAK or Burst is what it can deliver (in this case sound wise) on demand but only for short periods of time ( without causing some internal component damage )

Just my $0.02

ps: if I am correct ... with LIPO's this is valid only until the pack fall to about 80% of its rated voltage ..... then other bad things happen .....

Check .... http://batteryuniversity.com/ ....

... again

Last edited by Arn; 09-21-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Arn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
qaz393
RCC Contributor

I am: Shan L

Total Props: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by htse View Post
i have been looking for lipos to buy on the internet, and if i guess right, the more C u get the faster it could be discharged? and the higher mAh is the amount of run time ?? but what is the difference between the high "C" and high "mAh" that sells for 200$ and 30$?? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23553 they seem like the same to me... is it okey to run the cheap 30$ 5700mAh, 50C 2s lipos?
it depends on your setup. if you are running a high KV 1/8 or 1/5 scale motor that uses over 300 amps, i would not recommend. Most 1/10 or 1/8 are under 150A.

5.7Ah X 50C = 285 Amps of Discharge

Runtime would be the same, but you can discharge them faster because they can handle high discharge rates.
qaz393 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 AM   #9
lildevilx
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: R.S.
Radio of choice:
TQi
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 1

i've heard people saying you should get a battery that has more max discharge current then what your motor can use as this will leave the least amount of stress on your battery as possible as your battery won't be required to push it to it's limit all the time

but thats only what i heard from cooking with nitro :P
lildevilx is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in