FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1
Foam board - Sturdy board

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This stuff comes 5 mm thick and 3 mm thick. It consists of two sheets of paper with foam in between. Very strong. Fairly light.

Anyone use this stuff for constructing electrics?
FaceDeAce is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:06 PM   #2
NorseHammer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Moe N.

Total Props: 0
Sturdy Board

Yup, It works great.

I've downloaded plans from 3D Foamy.com and printed them at my local print shop to the size I wanted, then cut them out as patterns. The patterns were then transfered to the foamboard and the foam board cut accordingly. The last step is to soak the cut peices in luke warm water to loosed the glue and peel off the paper. Air dry the parts and glue them together. I used real cheap fishing rods instead of carbo rods to stiffen the wings the taper didn't matter to me much, and the planes fly real good. They are bigger than shockies and I find them more stable in breezes. but you need bigger motors too. I like Typhoon outrunners for them, the T6/20 or T15/13 seem to be just right.

Norse

S.P.A.D.s, Fibreglas & Balsa EDF's, Foamies, Brushless powered and nitro balsa planes, they're all in my hanger, just don't explain what it all means to the mrs, eh?
NorseHammer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:45 AM   #3
NorseHammer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Moe N.

Turbo Raven

I've got the plans for the Turbo Raven printed, and will probably do a build thread in the new year (Xmas is kinda busy around my house) from the cutting of the plan into templates to the test flight. Here's the link to the designers Web site

http://www.3dfoamy.com/turbo_raven.htm

If anyone want to see.

The kits aren't priced high and include the required goodies if scratch building isn't your thing, there are time delays now because:
A) Canada Post has rotating strikes
B) the Customs Canada people have work to rule and other labour contract negatiations things in play at the moment and finally
C) the U.S. postal service has decided that all outgoing mail from their troubled nation can only be routed through three Canadian border crossing points, causing intense traffic bottlenecks.

So scratch building may prove faster since you can download the plans from the web site.

Norse

S.P.A.D.s, Fibreglas & Balsa EDF's, Foamies, Brushless powered and nitro balsa planes, they're all in my hanger, just don't explain what it all means to the mrs, eh?
NorseHammer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-11-2004, 06:25 AM   #4
hyperrockets

What is this stuff called??
And where do you get it??
sounds like great stuff

Don
hyperrockets is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:23 AM   #5
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperrockets
What is this stuff called??
And where do you get it??
sounds like great stuff

Don
It's called "Foam Board" and you can get it at Staples or Loomis & Tolls or Michaels just about any office supply or art supply craft store.

In the 80's they were building glow pwered aircraft out of this stuf. It has been around for over 20 years. Popular with sign companies as well, but cheaper at stores i am sure.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:29 PM   #6
igor_throw_the_switch
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brad Kacer

I've been slicing my own foam using this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243271

Then, I've been using Flecto Varathane to adhere on some 0.5 oz FG cloth, and it allows me to do things like this:

Chord is 8", it's 5.5" wide, and 1 3/8" high (NACA 2415). The skin is 1/8" thick, and the spar is 1/4" x 1 1/8"

Gary Maker took this pic for me - he's held this section in his hands.

Brad
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic_from_gary.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	6091  

Brad Kacer
MAAC # 29287
igor_throw_the_switch is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:49 PM   #7
ROT*
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Donald

Re: Foam board - Sturdy board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude Paradis
This stuff comes 5 mm thick and 3 mm thick. It consists of two sheets of paper with foam in between. Very strong. Fairly light.

Anyone use this stuff for constructing electrics?
I just built a Mini 3dx, free plans at http://www.foamyfactory.com/ with X-Acto board, but you have to remove the paper first, otherwise it will be too heavy, just soak the pieces in the bath for a couple of minutes, and the paper will come off easily!

This pic show my 3DX, will install the motor soon! (AXI)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	picture_001a_159.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	6093  
Old 12-11-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
FaceDeAce
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Claude P.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C and 9C, Prism 7x

Total Props: 1
wow, the 3Dx looks great. Why take the paper off? It adds super strength!

What AXI are you going to use?
FaceDeAce is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:08 PM   #9
Hepdog
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Randy
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 36
Foam board is great stuff for quick cheap projects. Its not quite as good as real Depron, but its close. Its a little heavier and more flimsy, but its cheap. Micheals is the best place to get it, usually about $2 a sheet. They sell 2 formulations there, "X-Acto" brand and "Elmers" brand. I've heard bad things about the quality control on the Elmers, but Ive never had a problem.
Sometimes I do leave the paper on for smaller parts. It adds considerable strength, but weighs alot. A far better and lighter method is to laminate some 3/32 Balsa to the foam, one side or both depending on what you are building. Fiberglass strand tape also works great for strengthing. CF spars of some sort are a must for flat wings. It can be heated and formed to make a folded airfoil, but its not super strong. Good for a lazy parkflyer or indoors, but not 3D.
Glue can be any foam safe. I mostly use epoxy and hot glue. Alot of guys swear by Gorrilla glue but I find that 2 messy and slow.
I take the paper off after I've cut out my parts. I usually draw the plans right on the paper and then cut it out on the bandsaw. Way easier than using an Xacto. After that I give it a spritz of water and let it soak in. Grab an edge and pull and most of the paper comes right off. The "fuzzies" that are left rub off in the bathtub.
There are hundreds of plans for foamies on other forums. Ezone is about the best. Whatever you want is there - jets, 3D, parkflyers etc..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	geebeer2_high_a.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	6105  
Hepdog is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2004, 05:38 PM   #10
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8
Still slice mine from pink foam and cover it with Doculam. Clear sticky back film to stiffen it up. Flew the foam Pizza Box today covered with it. Works like trim film Heat shrinkable and stretchable like monocoat.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in