RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:21 PM   #41
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Yup, it doesn't take much of a glitch to generate a catastrophe.

I wanted to build a 1/4 scale model for local competition, but they said it had to be bigger than 2' span with an 09 for power! It was STILL 1/4 scale...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:35 PM   #42
Seafury
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Greg P
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: ~

Total Props: 0
Yes sir a catastrophe

A friend of mines father was blinded in one eye by a paper airplane as a boy. Nobody gets out of here alive.

I'm not advocating throwing caution to the wind but most clubs have a way to deal with pilots who are reckless. Gravity weeds out the ones flying more than they can handle. The most accomplished modelers amoungst us could have a radio or airframe failure that was unforseen and unavoidable with tragic results.

Most flying fields are well away from heavily populated areas. Those who choose to come must understand some risk is involved. I've been to more than 20 airshows and I have never signed a waiver to enter.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #43
Ramz-to-tha-Z

Re: How big is too big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafury
Maybe the real problem is ARF aircraft. If it takes a year or more to build the next airframe then the one you have now should get a fair amount of flight time. You make more of an investment in it and you are likely to be more carefull testing, maintaining and flying it. Lets outlaw ARF aircraft and slow the development of pilots.
Are you serious or is this just a sarcastic comment?
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #44
Seafury
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Greg P
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: ~

Tongue in cheek

I'm not serious. A lot of guys would not be in this if they had to build. But I think it warrants as much consideration as some of the other suggestions that have been made here.

I'm also a closet ARF flyer. Gives us new airframes while we build that Platt beating masterpiece. Greg
Old 10-20-2005, 09:37 PM   #45
SJrcflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ChisR

Total Props: -4
I'm still a amature at this hobby but enjoy it greatly. I can say that i'm not a builder just an arf guy, who likes to fly, assemble and setup. I dunno if the comment on Arf's was sarcasime or not but that had me scratching my head.

As far as too big, Yes I feel that their should be some sort of limit on size, and we do have one. In terms of safety I feel that if you are going to fly at a public venu or fun fly thier should be an inspection of the plane and setup prior to flying. I mean there is no way to regulate what gets flown at your own club, your backyard or at a park, just not going to happen. But at funflys put on by clubs or groups then I feel that this should be a viable option to assuring some safety. You are never going to eliminate all possible failures, its just not attainable. But a simple inspection may be able to catch some things that have been overlooked by the builder.

Note: Written at the same time as previous post so neglect ARF comment.
SJrcflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:39 PM   #46
Ramz-to-tha-Z

Re: Tongue in cheek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafury
I'm not serious. A lot of guys would not be in this if they had to build. But I think it warrants as much consideration as some of the other suggestions that have been made here.

I'm also a closet ARF flyer. Gives us new airframes while we build that Platt beating masterpiece. Greg
That's good to know as i was beginning to wonder. I disagree 100% with the previous statement about outlawing ARF's as I think it is totally irrelevant to the operation of giant scale planes with respect to safety. I think ARF's have been a very positive influence on the hobby myself as it is much cheaper and easier for prospective pilots to get started in the hobby. I also find that they enable me to have more fun when flying due to the fact that it is cheaper to buy an arf than build a kit (usually). And with my style of flying, I tend to fly low to the ground so if i screw up, the plane will more than likely be wrote off. Saves me time and money to get back in the air. It's also good to see that you can still get good quality kits if you do wish to build though (Carden, Sig, Goldberg, etc). Anyways, back to the topic at hand.
Ramz-to-tha-Z is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:52 PM   #47

Total Props: 57
Which would you rather be hit by.....

an F5D (electric pylon racer, maybe around 3 pounds AUW) doing 180+ mph....

or a 15 lb model moving say 50 mph?

Weight cannot be the only criteria.

MAAC has a difficult enough time getting fields to put in some saftey fences...how well do you think they will do at forcing people to become certified to fly their planes? This country is huge, enforcing and policing it will basically require a person in each club.

Here is an example of how programs like WINGS, and other certification programs can fail.....

I have been flying fot 16 years, been to 3 world championships, multiple times National champion....I have never been tested for my wings because every club I have joined just automatically gives them to me.....why would the same thing not happen for "certification" testing.

I could turn around tomorrow and buy a GS model, and the examiner say ya your ok, bang certified....yet I have never owned or flown a GS model. Who is going to question the examiner? My friends? LOL.

I think the best bet is....you know your flying buddies, you know their activities and direction in the hobby....you know their skill....be the voice of reason, hopefully they will do the same and between everyone helping everyone else out nobody need be in over their head and cause an accident.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:27 PM   #48
J_Helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJrcflyer

In terms of safety I feel that if you are going to fly at a public venu or fun fly thier should be an inspection of the plane and setup prior to flying. I mean there is no way to regulate what gets flown at your own club, your backyard or at a park, just not going to happen. But at funflys put on by clubs or groups then I feel that this should be a viable option to assuring some safety. You are never going to eliminate all possible failures, its just not attainable. But a simple inspection may be able to catch some things that have been overlooked by the builder.

Note: Written at the same time as previous post so neglect ARF comment.
And exactly what liability does the fellow who inspects your airplane carry? I can just see that scenario where you as the "inspector" miss something (or at least it is claimed you did) and an accident happens. Pretty soon (in fact immediately after an "inspector" is called to task) there will not be anyone willing to inspect a plane.

Frankly this is a slippery slope we should not go down.

JH
J_Helps is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:55 PM   #49
ronm
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ronm
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Quote:
I think the best bet is....you know your flying buddies, you know their activities and direction in the hobby....you know their skill....be the voice of reason, hopefully they will do the same and between everyone helping everyone else out nobody need be in over their head and cause an accident.
Quote:
Frankly this is a slippery slope we should not go down.
Sensible statements here.

Flying Tigers RC Club
"Flying an airplane is just like riding a bike...except it's harder to put cards in the spokes"
ronm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:33 AM   #50
SJrcflyer
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ChisR

Total Props: -4
It would be very tricky to deal with but do they not do this at some of the larger events in the States??

Just putting my .02$ out their. I feel that yes, while it could bring up some liability issues it would still be on MAACs shoulders because it would take place at a sanctioned event. Its just another precaution in hopeing to eliminated possible crashes/injuries.

Again just my thoughts.
SJrcflyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in