Carbon fiber spars on foam core wings.. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Carbon fiber spars on foam core wings..

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi,

Since i am building my B29 kit, It's main wings are of foam core, i am considering using carbon fiber 1/4" square stock as spars for right wing, i have already incorporated left wing with 1/4" hardwood top and bottom spars. What do you guys think and can advice if i should stick to triditional way or could use Carbon stocks as spars also....

Sammy

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Sammy,
If you have one wing completed with the spars I would do the other the same way. Not sure of your wing span but it is a lot easier to keep the weights balanced. If you go carbon I would use the carbon filament .007 x 1/4" instead of a box carbon box spar. Lighter.
John
Old 03-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #3
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
Is weight really going to be a problem on a B29?

If weight is a concern I would go with arrow shafts. Less weight and less flex.

I'm going to try an aluminum wing spar in my next aircraft. Super thin-walled C channel, 2mm Coroplast skin, maybe a couple of foam ribs.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
I agree, both wings must be built the same.
Old 03-06-2006, 03:21 AM   #5
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 2

Seems like i will have to go same route as on left side due to weigth issues, Of course weight will make difference in wings or ill be fighting it with trims all the time while flying.

W/Span is 80 1/2" with some degree of dihedrial on the wing, i am not sure at the moment of actual degree numbers but tips are going to be raised 2" when joining the wing...

Thanks guys...
Old 03-06-2006, 08:40 AM   #6
Noin
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Ted L

I used the carbon fiber strips (1/16"x1/2" approximately) from Dave Brown Products on one of my foam wings. I put it on the top and bottom of the wing and I can not believe how stiff the wing is now. Beacause the wing is solid foam and the carbon spar strips are right over top of each other it makes a "box" like structure and is incredibly stiff. The best part is I did not have any grooves to cut out of the foam. It is definitely a method to try out on your next foam wing.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:51 AM   #7
Frequentcrasher
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Jeff M

Spars

Due to my legendary cheapness, on foam core wings I use two 3/4" strips of fibreglass window screen. I place them just as you would a carbon fibre strip. I paste them down to the core with a smear of polyurethane glue (which I also bond the sheeting with) just before weighing the sheeting down in the shucks. I place them on both top and bottom in the same spots. I got this tip from pattern builder extraordinare, Bob Noll. To keep weight to a minimum, I roll on the poly glue with a closed cell foam paint roller. I also give the cores a misting of water from a spray bottle to activate the foaming action of the glue. I've been very happy with the results. I just finished some wings that are honeycombed and 30" span each. When all is said and done, they came out at 8oz. apiece, less covering. They are very stiff as well. Can't ask for much better than that.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

You are not cheap just innovative. I also do mine different than most and have had a roll for years. I use the the fiberglass joint fill for doing cracks on gyproc. Besides having a bit of tack it is wider. Put a strip top and bottom and if you sheet it after it is very strong. Stood up to the stress in my Formula 1's. I have also used the glass stranded packing tape but only on smaller models. I cover directly on the foam with low heat film.
John
Old 03-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #9
j-coles

does anyone have a link to this square carbon fibre?? thanks

j-coles
j-coles is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in