Want to know more About electrics - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #11

Total Props: 57
Re: Want to know more About electrics

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robpreston View Post
Hi guys:

I'm thinking about getting into Electric's but I would like to know more about it before I start buying.

For ex
* what do all the codes mean?
* what ESC works best with whitch motor.
* what size battery and flight time's

you know the do's and don'ts..

Is there a web site that I can go to in order to learn more....?
instead of going to Hobby King and not knowing what I'm looking at. weather it's good or not or if it's compatible ...

Thanks for your help !
Probably one of the easiest way of getting into this aspect of the hobby is to pick up one of the ARF or near-ARF kits that abound.

Depending upon what you currently fly and what you want to fly and how much effort you want to put into building and setting up an airplane, there are lot of choices.

If you can expand on what your background and flying experience is, we can make suggestions as to what will fit in with what you want.

Currently, the hobby is not as settled as it is for IC engines -- it's a fluid combination of flying style, planes, props, types of motors and their parameters, battery types and capacity, speed controllers.

If you're familiar with spreadsheets and how changing one value can affect everything else, then that's what electrics are like.

For example, if you've been flying trainer-types, then the electric NexStar as used by the TEMAC group here in Toronto is a good setup. You're looking at a .45-sized setup that doesn't cost the moon and adding more battery packs is easy.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #12
robpreston
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Rob P
Radio of choice:
JR 11X

Total Props: 0

well I guess the best way to describe my flying style would be 3D so I would like to know what I'm up against in the electrics.
but down the road I'm looking at getting into Heli's Electric but I would like to build one from a kit..

once you go Yak you never go back!!
robpreston is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:20 PM   #13
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

Just to give you a ferinstance, Rob. I've had a Twist 3D 40 for about 4 yrs. coming up. One of my bigger electrics. The plane comes with parts in the kit for glow or electric but is very light as in most electrics. Just by coincidence many electrics measure the diameter of the motor as part of the part #. The brand I chose was a Himax. Part# 5018-530 The Twist popular motor in glow is a 46 sizes motor, so you see where we're close to the 50MM dia of the Himax. The 530 on the end of the motor# is the KV # which means RPMs per volt. I'm using 6 cells at 4.2 volts per cell gives you 25.2 volts for power at 13,356 rpm. That's with little load so the usefull RPM is lower than that. Probably closer to 12,000. If I remember right, the amp draw on the motor is about 50 amps max, so you'd prop it to draw a little less than that. Think I was drawing 47 amps max. Use an ESC that is capable of putting out more amps than the motor's max amp draw. I think I'm using an 80 amp one. Batts are 6 cells of 3700 ma.20 C Rhinos from HK. This will be the fourth yr. for them. This is where you need to look at the C rating of the batt. which means they are capable of handling 20 times their capacity which is 3700 times 20 which , of course, is 74 amps. So you can see the batts are not even working hard, and why they've lasted. Another adition is a UBEC. This stands for Universal Batt. eliminator circuit. Many ESCs don't have enough amp output to satisfy the RCVR and servos, especially digitals. This hooks up to your motor batt.and draws from it, so you don't have to carry two batts. This will give you a little insight into what your in for Any more questions, just holler that's what we're here for.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
robpreston
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 11X

You know flypaper, your right..
It does get confusing when some one throws all those #'s at you or even if you reading it. This is the reason I'm asking the Questions.. and I thank you for that... I was once told" there is no such thing as a stupid Question" just stupid answers...lol

Old 12-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #15
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

As I say, don't hesitate to ask. We all went through this at one time.

Gord.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #16
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
IX12

Total Props: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypaper View Post
Just to give you a ferinstance, Rob. I've had a Twist 3D 40 for about 4 yrs. coming up. One of my bigger electrics. The plane comes with parts in the kit for glow or electric but is very light as in most electrics. Just by coincidence many electrics measure the diameter of the motor as part of the part #. The brand I chose was a Himax. Part# 5018-530 The Twist popular motor in glow is a 46 sizes motor, so you see where we're close to the 50MM dia of the Himax. The 530 on the end of the motor# is the KV # which means RPMs per volt. I'm using 6 cells at 4.2 volts per cell gives you 25.2 volts for power at 13,356 rpm. That's with little load so the usefull RPM is lower than that. Probably closer to 12,000. If I remember right, the amp draw on the motor is about 50 amps max, so you'd prop it to draw a little less than that. Think I was drawing 47 amps max. Use an ESC that is capable of putting out more amps than the motor's max amp draw. I think I'm using an 80 amp one. Batts are 6 cells of 3700 ma.20 C Rhinos from HK. This will be the fourth yr. for them. This is where you need to look at the C rating of the batt. which means they are capable of handling 20 times their capacity which is 3700 times 20 which , of course, is 74 amps. So you can see the batts are not even working hard, and why they've lasted. Another adition is a UBEC. This stands for Universal Batt. eliminator circuit. Many ESCs don't have enough amp output to satisfy the RCVR and servos, especially digitals. This hooks up to your motor batt.and draws from it, so you don't have to carry two batts. This will give you a little insight into what your in for Any more questions, just holler that's what we're here for.
Very well put, excellent description. Daren
Old 12-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #17
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

Glad it helped a bit. Had to wet my throat with a beer after that.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #18

Total Props: 57

Gord, you get a big hairy thumbs-up for that answer!

A working and practical example of what Rob was aksing for.

I got started in eledctrics much the same way -- getting overloaded in what-if analysis until one of the other electric guys sold me a working airplane -- just add my radio, charge and fly. THat got me through my first year of e-flight and I'd gotten enough base knowledge to make a decision for the next model to do.

Now, I've got five kits under way simultaneously plus stepping back to a basic trainer to get some serious stick-time in early in the season (starting a round of Formosa racing so I need to refresh my basics to get smooth low flights without wasting energy in turns.)
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #19
robpreston
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 11X

Ok guys:
Thanks for you help. so what does
BESC stand for :
and OPTO Brushless ESC stand for:
and Plush:
with Flypaper's description I now know what UBEC stands for (thanks )
see this is the sort of thing That I would like to find out.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #20
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27

Hobby City has forums where people discuss product and setups, RC Groups has links to some good plans.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in