AMA Has now approved the JR 6102 "spektrumised" fr - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 12:07 AM   #1
OICU812
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Shawn S.
Radio of choice:
Vcontrol

Total Props: 36
AMA Has now approved the JR 6102 "spektrumised" fr

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well a few months back I got shot down for even bringing it up and guess what it is now approved by AMA and now I want to see MAAC approve it.

Here is the write up.

Here is AMA's official stance regarding this issue from Steve Kaluf at the AMA:

-------------------------
Recently, there has been a flurry of activity with regard to various modifications of the Spektrum RC radio systems. Some of the modifications involve rather complicated issues and we're working diligently to research them completely to assure compliance with Federal Regulations, safety and standards that are being developed for the usage of the band. AMA is doing our best to balance the interests of all involved.

In particular, the removal of the Spektrum RF section and it's antenna from the DX6 and replacement in the JR6102 has captured the interest of many. After much research with all parties involved, including review of FCC regulations, it has been determined that it is legal to make the modifications under the following conditions by FCC regulations. The complete Spektrum DX6 RF section can be removed along with it's original antenna and placed into the JR 6102. The FCC identification number from the Spektrum DX6 transmitter must be transferred and prominently displayed on the new transmitter as well. Although the AMA and the manufacturer, Spektrum RC, do not recommend, nor encourage this practice, it falls under FCC regulations as acceptable under the preceding conditions.

Anything more than this immediate modification is beyond this scope of this statement and is being dealt with on a case-by-case basis and will be pursued as resources allow.
-------------------------

The one new note in this mod (looking back at post#1, is to transfer the FCC id sticker from the DX6 to the XP6102DX (this is an FCC requirement to display the FCC ID on the TX).

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:26 AM   #2
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 7
Thank goodness. So it's legal under FCC part 15.247 and Canadian RSS-210 and is now accepted at AMA fields. Now how about MAAC recognizing it as the AMA has done?
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:09 AM   #3
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinic
Thank goodness. So it's legal under FCC part 15.247 and Canadian RSS-210 and is now accepted at AMA fields. Now how about MAAC recognizing it as the AMA has done?
Where in the above statement does it mention anything about Canadian RSS-210? I didn't see anything.

Just because it is FCC approved does not automatically make it approved by the DOC here in Canada. It should be looked into twith the DOC to ensure that they back the FCC ruling. FCC meens squat in Canada. Just like a UL rating doesn't meen anything.. must be C-UL, recognized by the CSA. Lots of UL listed stuff does not meet CSA standards so we syhould not automatically assume that DOC will "rubber stamp" an FCC ruling.

Not trying to start anything here but we must be carefull not to give the Insurance Companies any reason to veto a claim if it is discovered that DOC does not approve this mod. JAT!
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-13-2006, 07:18 AM   #4
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0
Right on Jim

I'm not against an approved equipment, but I am against people posting statements made on assumptions rather than facts.

Leading people to believe the modified JR transmitter is legal in Canada because it has been approved in the USA is false and misleading.

If and when it is approved by Industry Canada then it can be accepted by MAAC.

Cheers
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Uh guys, give the guy a break. No where did I read in his post that he says its approved in Canada, he "would like to see MAAC approve it"

Thats all. Why get on the guys case so harshly? No offense to you two, Ken, and Jim, but I actually like to see progress in the hobby rather than just negativity towards new technology.

Imagine all the improvements we have just in radios that occured over the past 25 years, not from people being negative and fearing the new technology. But from guys pushing for newer and better and more reliable things.

AJC
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #6
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199
Quote:
Andrew: Where didn't you see the claim? They are just clarifying it is not legal in Canada as was misstated in the above quote. Just a statement of fact. Aimed at Martinic not original poster.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #7
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Read the whole (huge) thread on RC Groups and see that it was positions like yours that drive Hilgert to the extreme of FCC testing and lobbying.

Please see here:

http://runryder.com/helicopter/t250254p1/

and here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=458314 (be sure to read all 61 pages of it.)
Old 04-13-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
martinic
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60
Andrew: Where didn't you see the claim? They are just clarifying it is not legal in Canada as was misstated in the above quote. Just a statement of fact. Aimed at Martinic not original poster.
To say it is illegal (not legal) is more misleading...

As was shown in the American situation in the RC Groups thread, just because it isn't specifically approved doesn't mean it isn't legal. So, waiting for IC to approve it before MAAC approves it is not necessarily a reasonable position.

At this moment, it is only definite that it is not MAAC "legal".

The issue here has been and continues to be acceptance rather than legality.

Modifying transmitters for your own purposes is OK under law (Industry Canada regulations) - the illegal part comes should you cause interference. Hilgert has shown that the output was not changed by relocating the entire module and antenna to another chassis (was there ever any doubt?) - it was on this basis that the AMA made a policy statement for this case only.

What fun would we have if we were only allowed to fly unmodified RTF aircraft? Yawn.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
sarawnty
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Stephen J
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 0
Spektrumized JR6102

The earlier thread on this topic and parts of this thread make me feel like a criminal. But on the other hand, so what, I'm not going worry about it. I have several hundred flights on my Spectrumized 6102 in every imaginable indoor condition. I've flown with at least 20 other aircraft and heli's at the same time. I've flown with at least 6 or 7 heli's at the same time in small gyms. Never once has there been any interference with my equipment or anyone elses. I believe outdoors will have the same results. So how many of you that don't agree with this mod even have a DX6? And in case you're not aware, folks are taking the DX6 board and antenna and stuffing them into Hitec transmitters. Let's move on to something else worth discussing or debating. How about number of significant safety rules that are continually violated at every indoor rc flying session across the country?
Steve
Old 04-13-2006, 04:24 PM   #10
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Quote:

Unless my 5 years of advanced English in High school were a farce - I still read this statement - "now how about MAAC recognising it..." as even though it has been accepted by the AMA, it is not yet MAAC approved. And the original post was basically a hope that it will be approved now that it is in the USA.

Like the last poster, there are so many better things to do than try and find things to pick at each other for. I guess I should realise some things never and probably will never change.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in