FPV First Person View RC flying.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
vgjunky
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Bob F
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 2
RP-SMA / SMA compatibility

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Question: I am running Fatshark Predators with the Immersion 600mw VTx which uses SMA CP Antennaes.

For a ground station I am looking at picking up a BOSCAM 5.8 GHz 32CH RC832 since it works with the Fatshark/Immersion frequencies, however I just realized it uses RP-SMA antennaes. Are the two compatible? Will this work?

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
patrizio_g
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Patrizio G.
Radio of choice:
Turnigy 9x
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1
Re: RP-SMA / SMA compatibility

No they are not, you need an adapter RP-SMA to SMA
You can get it on eBay.

I have fatshark and also boscam and I use an adapter so I can switch my antenas back and forth.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
vgjunky
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Bob F
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 2

[QUOTE=patrizio_g;1431983]No they are not, you need an adapter RP-SMA to SMA
You can get it on eBay.

I have fatshark and also boscam and I use an adapter so I can switch my antenas back and forth.[/QUOTEP]

Patrizio,
Just to recap incase I didn't word my question properly. My current setup has the immersion CP SMA antennaes on the goggles and VTx. The Boscam VRx already has antennaes which are RP-SMA. Will the two different antennaes talk to each other? In other words although the frequency is compatible between Vtx and Vrx, does the difference between RP SMA regular SMA antennaes transmit the signal differently?

Old 02-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

if the freq is the same, they will work together OK. I have heard that the Boscam pick up other Boscam signal better than they do Immersion/Fatshark signal.

You also must ensure that if the antennas are all CP, they must also be the correct skew - either both right hand or both left hand. If one is left and the other is right, you will have substantial dB loss and awful peformance.

I use adaptos all the time, seemingly without issue. But it is more ideal to not use such adaptors as there is potential for some dB loss at the adaptor. Might be a small effect but YMMV
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
patrizio_g
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Patrizio G.
Radio of choice:
Turnigy 9x
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 1

[quote=vgjunky;1431990]
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrizio_g View Post
No they are not, you need an adapter RP-SMA to SMA
You can get it on eBay.

I have fatshark and also boscam and I use an adapter so I can switch my antenas back and forth.[/QUOTEP]

Patrizio,
Just to recap incase I didn't word my question properly. My current setup has the immersion CP SMA antennaes on the goggles and VTx. The Boscam VRx already has antennaes which are RP-SMA. Will the two different antennaes talk to each other? In other words although the frequency is compatible between Vtx and Vrx, does the difference between RP SMA regular SMA antennaes transmit the signal differently?
Oh sorry my bad I get what you asking now and 100% what bcsalt says

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in