super tiger .45 , quits at a 1/2 tank every time? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 07:57 PM   #1
joey

Total Props: 0
super tiger .45 , quits at a 1/2 tank every time?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys, I was out flying today, and allwas going great on every flight, but on all 5 flights, the motor would cut out as soon as i used 1/2 a tank of fuel. I checked for leaks in the fuel lines, and didnt see any, the clunk line in the tank is where its supposed to be. I even tried to raise the tank to see if it would help , but it didnt. I understand that the engine leans out as we use up our fuel. so do I need to richen the motor out maybe??, if you have any suggestions, I sure would appreciate them ,, thanks guys......having 5 dead sticks in one afternoon was a little tough on the nerves... thanks in advance guys......Joey........
joey is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:30 PM   #2
Dennis 9412
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis DuBois
Radio of choice:
Airtronics SD-10G, JR XP9303
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6
ST .45 Quitting

Hi Joey:

Just wondering, is this a new installation, or did you fly this setup last year?

If it's a new setup, check for air leaks or poinholes in the fuel line.

If it's an old setup that used to be OK last year, you might want to check that your head bolts are tight. Had the same problem last year with an OS 40, just about drove me nuts!!
I was getting ready to take off one time, and stood with my feet in front of the stab to get it wound up, and noticed bubbles around the head. Tightened up the head bolts and voila! no more leaning out!!
Just my 2 cents.

Dennis
CFI Orillia Aeromodelers
Dennis 9412 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:07 AM   #3
britbrat

Could you have switched the vent & feed lines? If the vent tube is rotated sideways inside the tank & you are feeding from it , that just might be the problem
britbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-21-2004, 01:00 PM   #4
2thelmt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ID

Sounds like a leak on your clunk line. It won't be noticed untill the fuel gets below the break in the line.
When you fill and empty your tank, do you notice a different sound from your pump as the tank gets about half empty? If so, there is a leak in the clunk line.
Ian
Old 04-23-2004, 06:29 AM   #5
joey

super tiger

Thanks Ian, you were right, there was a tiny pin hole in the clunk line, as soon as I replaced it , the problems seems to be gone , I hope. thanks guys, ...Joey.....
joey is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:47 PM   #6
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
I had this happen to me, but the clunk line was slightly cut from the brass tube it was on that went through the stopper. If it was level and not moving around, it would run the tank dry, but in the air it would die, due to the tubing moving and opening the crack, letting air in the line...

Frustrating? Yup! Figured it out after an afternoon of testing.

Glad to hear you got it solved also...
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in