Old 11-11-2004, 09:21 AM   #21
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I started in 62, Germany in the forces on c/l and built just about every kit Graupner had. Got married in 68 and rtu'd to Europe when wife was pregnant and returned for a visit. Ended up she couldn't come back so to keep out of trouble purchased a Robbe 4ch and started rc. Started with the Taxi, graduated to Phil Kraft's Quik Fli and also had a Graupner full house Cirrus glider. Built (2) 5ch Heath's and have had Kraft, Airtronics and Futaba which I currently own. Engines used where OS 10's,15',30's,60, and Graupner diesels, to start.
Currently 62 with wrecked non-repairable shoulder(nerves) so keep myself busy by doing projects like my turbines, EDM and my CF100 which I have to get back on. Have been put out to pasture as of last Friday so will also play with my favourite hobby which is my Grandaughters aged 4,2, and 6 months. They keep the spirits up when feeling down.
It is quite comical now with my oldest one. Her comment last time when the wife answered was "Nanny I don't want you, I want to talk to Papa and I will phone back to talk to you". She hung up and phoned back after talking with me.
John

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-11-2004, 11:47 AM   #22
kstaack

Oh ha...I am 62 years. I like to work with wood, but I have two left hands.
On the first view the plane looks good, but on the second one winghalf is 4 mm higher than the other one. No idea why ! I guess I never learn it.
Anyway, I try it ....and try it....
kstaack is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:04 PM   #23
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

memories

This is when a buck was worth a buck

Where else could you by dope for 15 cents Heeee HHe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dope.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	5415  
Second time around is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-11-2004, 04:18 PM   #24
wise guy
RCC Junior Contributor

63 and still flying

Dope for 15 cents boy those were the days . Chewing Amboid glue off your fingers in school after a all night repair on a banged up U/C plane. Bringing a small bottle of dope and cigarette paper to cover holes in Silkspan tissue wings. Engines without mufflers and starting them by hand.Single channel radios on C/B channels [ 27 band] and escapements and rubber bands for power. Rubber powered models that took you a week to build and only to be blowen up with a firecracker if they did not fly good. Baby Bee .049 were 3.95 and a Mc Coy .35 was 7.95 and a gallon of fuel was less than 10.00. Balsa was cheap and 5.00 dollars would buy you a big bag full. Oh yes the girlfriends and mothers still complained about the time you spent on the hobby and the messes [ not much changed much there] From age 8 to 63 you would have growen out of this hobby but no.
wise guy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2004, 05:11 PM   #25
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

Darren, I'm flying out to Comox this weekend for a few days..... Why don't you come up............then I can give ya a whoopin' !!!

I started out reading and building those little balsa chuck gliders as a kid...when I was rich, I'd buy one with a rubber driven propellor - that was a real treat in those days. Then into C/L with an assortment of Goldberg, Comet, Cox, Missle Mist, Silkspan, Sig Dope, and of course Ambroid.... First RC model was a Condor glider with a Sanwa single channel radio and an escapement. During this time I was putting cox engines into little rubber-powered models and building own designed sheet balsa gliders...these were all quite small - maybe 10" wing span. Used to turn firecrackers into rockets (for power) and launch them. Some would fly, some would explode, and a couple caught fire... All great fun on a budget.
Then life got in the way, and I sold everything and was totally out of touch with the hobby for years, and got back into RC in '92 or '93 and have never looked back!!!

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:35 PM   #26
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7
Time goes by...

Oh dear, 66 and still modelling after neary 60 years. Started with a hlg at a parks program (is that still done? Ain't seen one since the 50s) where teachers got experience in (gasp!) teaching, and a guy showed me how; I think it cost 10c. Jim Walker took most of my allowances for some years, 1/16sq was purchased with whatever was left over (3/1c). C/L kept me occupied until the 70s, Ace s/c for awhile, EK Brick (great idea) until I built an Ace Silver Seven, then went to Futaba; still there, still happy with the hobby, still build some c/l and lots of freeflight.

Sailplanes have been biggest part of my modelling lately. I have a 2,000' slope just a few minutes away, but the valley gives up some monster thermals as well. Because Scale has always been my only real purpose in modelling, PSS is What I Do.

So many years go by, and few things change other than change itself. The fights in MAAC are perennial, new facets of the hobby never seem to stop coming, and it is the new technology that keeps my interest. What's next??? I sure can't guess, even after 60 years!
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:28 PM   #27
Second time around
RCC Pro Contributor

now this was when dope was dope

Yahoo 15 cents a bottle
Keep coming out of the woodwork now . We know there is more older guys out there .
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dope_218.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	5436  
Second time around is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in