Idle setup help...Please! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
brrzee
RCC Apprentice

I am: Joe.B

Total Props: 0
Idle setup help...Please!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Trying to figure out how to setup my idle properly on my Spektrum DX7 radio. My carb opens and closes all the way, but when the engine is running it does not seem to have an idle and I especially notice it when I try to idle up at a 1/4 throttle it does not seem like there is anything there. If I close the throttle anymore the engine stops or wants to quit because there is no idle.

Let me know what you think

Thanks
brrzee is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
kwm
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Keith M

Total Props: 9
Re: Idle setup help...Please!

set your trim tab at the lowest setting and then connect your throttle linkage, then put the trim and throttle stick in the full up position and adjust your travel rate at high so the servo does not bind. When you start your engine move the trim tab to the middle or a little higher and leave the throttle lever in lowest position, start the motor and adjust the trim till you get the idle you want. Then when you want to shut off the engine just move the trim tab to the bottom and the engine will stop.
kwm is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
brrzee
RCC Apprentice

I am: Joe.B

Total Props: 0

When I turn my radio on, my idle is set at half and the throttle is closed. When I start the engine it takes a couple of clicks of throttle up and away she goes, when I start adjusting my idle though especially when the engine is running at about a 1/4 throttle it does not seem to react much for engine rpm. Is this normal?
brrzee is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #4
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

Not overly familiar with the radio. Why not try programming the plane into a new model memory and see if it goes away. Could be a programming issue or error you made on setting up the plane. Lots of mixes availabel could be one is active or dual rates or expo is set on. Also the radio should have a engine stop button on it so you won't have to mess with the trim settings to get the engine to stop.
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #5
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

It doesn't have a stop button but it does have a cool method to shut it off. When you want to stop it, hold the idle trim downwards till it comes to the stop. After the motor stops, give it one beep upwards and it will go to the idle trim position that you had it set at. It's inhibited right now but go into the manual on page 37 shows how to activate it. If you don't have the manual, just holler and I'll explain it. Works great.

Gord.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #6
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

Just a thought. Is this a new or an older engine? Is it broken in? Have you taken the time to adjust the needles properly, especially the low end which controls idle?

Although it may be a radio programming issue, if the carb barrel is moving as you advance the throttle and the engine is not responding, ( you did say the barrel opens and closes all the way but seems like there is nothing there ..) then it sounds to me like more of an engine setup problem. Have you checked the setup over again to assure its not something like an air leak, tank pressure via muffler, dirt in the carb intake, low needle setting, etc.??

This type of problem can be very frustrating. Just mythoughtically go over each step of the setup of both engine and radio. You may find some small thing that you just inadvertantly overlooked or did unknowingly wrong.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Last edited by Gary Maker; 08-22-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in