Futaba FASST RX's - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

View Poll Results: Are you running FASST receivers
No issues at all 18 90.00%
I have experienced heat issues 0 0%
Too many bad stories surrounding 2.4 won't use at all 2 10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #11
747drvr
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Marc T
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 0
Re: Futaba FASST RX's

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi Gary,

I know you were just joking (kind of) ! I could have sworn I saw your JR set up with at least 3 satellite RX's . Hmmmm, buy an AR9000 for $200 and add another 2 satellites at around $40 a piece . That's $280 for a 9 channel set up . A 6014 is $240 for 14 channels.

You may have the 7 channel so knock off $80 . That's still $200. An 8 channel FASST rx is $168 . All prices from Great Hobbies. So much for that theory !

Marc

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #12
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16

I wouldn't hesitate to say that both Futaba and JR are good systems, I just wouldn't own a JR

If you have not met someone that had trouble and have not read issues with 2.4 you don't get out much note the winky bud! I just thought it would be a much more responsible approach to learn about the system before implementing it.

Good to hear there are a few running the 6014 for it is the one most talked about!
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
KAPTAN KAOS
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Gary Arthur
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Maker View Post
Too bad the JR/Spektrum DSSS RX's wearn't included in the poll! While the FHSS system RX's are good, there have been no such problems that I'm aware of that have been reported with the much superior DSSS system RX's....JR rules!

Now come on, somebody had to break the ice...

Ha. Ha. ha. I would not touch the J (unk) R (adio) with a ten foot pole. The Futaba system is far superior. I can attest to the Futaba system that I still have my F-15 that is a $6000 jet. I had a servo short out. It was a dead short enough to melt my wires from two 2100mah rx packs. The short pulled the voltage down so far/fast that the ECU registered a low voltage condition and shut down the engine. I still had enough control to dead stick the aircraft. If I was flying JR, it would have locked out. My F-15 would be s smoking hole somewhere out in the field and I would be left scratching my head as to what happened. By the way, the RX still works fine even with that amount ouf current draw through it. Plus I do not need all of the satelite rx's/ hit counters, regulators etc. A simple battery, switch and RX.

futaba all the way.

I have all of 14 my aircraft on FASST and it is the best.
Maac#30370
JPO 2011 Member
KAPTAN KAOS is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #14
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 9

You guys are no fun at all. I was honestly just trying to lighten the mood abit but you guys take yourselves waaaaaaay toooooo seriously!

Marc...I only have 1 2.4 Rx and that came with the radio. I purchased my satellite for $24 and all I bought was the ONE = 1 extra. The system comes with 1 and I did purchase a second just to see how much if any difference it made.. IT was not needed, the system is solid without it! In the JR Rx box there are 2 receivers + 1 satellite + the one I purchased, thats why I had said I had 4 Rx's in my setup.

Gary, yes I appreciate your one jet is $6000 (plus you have several others) , and your radio is at least another $2000+ which is most likely more than the total amount I have wrapped up in the whole hobby! You can afford it, good for you! Personally, I cannot! To each his own! I'm happy that you were able to save your jet, If indeed it was because of the Rx, then your investment was worth it for sure.

I was HONESTLY just making a joke with my friend LEE. I really don't care that Futaba is the best, No.1 and JR is junk. To you, I suppose JR is junk, compareing a $2000 radio to a $500 one! I purchased what I could afford and am very happy with what I have. After flying the JR for the whole last season, I didn't have even one incident with my inferrior system. Thank you for the lesson in humility!!

LEE, I must apologize to you my friend! I thought my comment was humurous, at the moment! I guess it wasn't! Sorry!

Enjoy your best of the best guys! We ignorant/JR-Spektrum RC guys will try to enjoy what we have dispite it being J-unk R-adio!

NO further comment or joking around on this subject from me.

Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Last edited by Gary Maker; 11-11-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:38 AM   #15
LEE
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Lee P

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Maker View Post
You guys are no fun at all. I was honestly just trying to lighten the mood abit but you guys take yourselves waaaaaaay toooooo seriously!

Marc...I only have 1 2.4 Rx and that came with the radio. I purchased my satellite for $24 and all I bought was the ONE = 1 extra. The system comes with 1 and I did purchase a second just to see how much if any difference it made.. IT was not needed, the system is solid without it! In the JR Rx box there are 2 receivers + 1 satellite + the one I purchased, thats why I had said I had 4 Rx's in my setup.

Gary, yes I appreciate your one jet is $6000 (plus you have several others) , and your radio is at least another $2000+ which is most likely more than the total amount I have wrapped up in the whole hobby! You can afford it, good for you! Personally, I cannot! To each his own! I'm happy that you were able to save your jet, If indeed it was because of the Rx, then your investment was worth it for sure.

I was HONESTLY just making a joke with my friend LEE. I really don't care that Futaba is the best, No.1 and JR is junk. To you, I suppose JR is junk, compareing a $2000 radio to a $500 one! I purchased what I could afford and am very happy with what I have. After flying the JR for the whole last season, I didn't have even one incident with my inferrior system. Thank you for the lesson in humility!!

LEE, I must apologize to you my friend! I thought my comment was humurous, at the moment! I guess it wasn't! Sorry!

Enjoy your best of the best guys! We ignorant/JR-Spektrum RC guys will try to enjoy what we have dispite it being J-unk R-adio!

NO further comment or joking around on this subject from me.
No apologies necessary Gary. I know where you're coming from and its all good I don't care if you fly JR or Futaba, they are both excellent in my books.

Lee
Team Canada IMAC Worlds 2014
LEE is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #16
samsrc
RCC Contributor

I am: Sam Filippelli

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAPTAN KAOS View Post
Ha. Ha. ha. I would not touch the J (unk) R (adio) with a ten foot pole. The Futaba system is far superior. I can attest to the Futaba system that I still have my F-15 that is a $6000 jet. I had a servo short out. It was a dead short enough to melt my wires from two 2100mah rx packs. The short pulled the voltage down so far/fast that the ECU registered a low voltage condition and shut down the engine. I still had enough control to dead stick the aircraft. If I was flying JR, it would have locked out. My F-15 would be s smoking hole somewhere out in the field and I would be left scratching my head as to what happened. By the way, the RX still works fine even with that amount ouf current draw through it. Plus I do not need all of the satelite rx's/ hit counters, regulators etc. A simple battery, switch and RX.

futaba all the way.

I have all of 14 my aircraft on FASST and it is the best.
Gary,
First off, I am glad you were able to recover your jet after that incident, I’m sure it must have been scary to say the least. Judging from your comments, I’m also going to guess that you would only ever use “Futaba” servos in any of your aircraft? (I could be wrong on that assumption, just taking a wild guess) Assuming that you were, you might want to check your other servos before you fly again, seeing as the reason you had a short was due to faulty servos.
Secondly, and so we have things clear in regards to DSM systems: All DSM systems have a cutoff voltage of 3.5 volts. This means that if the voltage drops below 3.5 volts, the receiver will shut down. The very instant that the voltage gets back up to 3.6 volts, it will instantly turn back on. The original issue in the very first release of DSM products was that if for whatever reason you were able to get the voltage down to 3.5 volts, and it were to come back up, the time in which it took to re-boot would not be instant. That problem has been rectified, and has been rectified for quite some time. (If any DSM users out there are unsure, the easy test is to unplug your battery from your receiver, then plug it back in, if there is a delay, you may have one of the first release receivers. You can send it back to Horizon, and they will update the software for you)
Now that we are clear on how the receiver functions, lets look at this logically. The only way that a DSM system will shut down is if your voltage dropped to 3.5 volts. Have you ever felt the torque on a servo at 3.5 volts? (That is if it will run at all, most won’t) If your battery voltage at anytime dropped below 3.5 volts, regardless of what system you are using, be it Futaba, JR, Hitec, or any other brand, you would more than likely crash due to not enough power to run your system. Although you had some sort of short, I can almost bet that at no time did your voltage drop below 3.5 volts. You landed because you still had enough power to run your system, which is enough power to operate any system, and yes that also includes that junky JR stuff.
I hope this helps
Sam
IMAC # 3534
samsrc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #17
KAPTAN KAOS
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Gary Arthur
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsrc View Post
Gary,
First off, I am glad you were able to recover your jet after that incident, I’m sure it must have been scary to say the least. Judging from your comments, I’m also going to guess that you would only ever use “Futaba” servos in any of your aircraft? (I could be wrong on that assumption, just taking a wild guess) Assuming that you were, you might want to check your other servos before you fly again, seeing as the reason you had a short was due to faulty servos.
Secondly, and so we have things clear in regards to DSM systems: All DSM systems have a cutoff voltage of 3.5 volts. This means that if the voltage drops below 3.5 volts, the receiver will shut down. The very instant that the voltage gets back up to 3.6 volts, it will instantly turn back on. The original issue in the very first release of DSM products was that if for whatever reason you were able to get the voltage down to 3.5 volts, and it were to come back up, the time in which it took to re-boot would not be instant. That problem has been rectified, and has been rectified for quite some time. (If any DSM users out there are unsure, the easy test is to unplug your battery from your receiver, then plug it back in, if there is a delay, you may have one of the first release receivers. You can send it back to Horizon, and they will update the software for you)
Now that we are clear on how the receiver functions, lets look at this logically. The only way that a DSM system will shut down is if your voltage dropped to 3.5 volts. Have you ever felt the torque on a servo at 3.5 volts? (That is if it will run at all, most won’t) If your battery voltage at anytime dropped below 3.5 volts, regardless of what system you are using, be it Futaba, JR, Hitec, or any other brand, you would more than likely crash due to not enough power to run your system. Although you had some sort of short, I can almost bet that at no time did your voltage drop below 3.5 volts. You landed because you still had enough power to run your system, which is enough power to operate any system, and yes that also includes that junky JR stuff.
I hope this helps
Sam

To clairfy, I was using a hitech servo. It shorted due to a binding issue. As for the 3.5 volt cutoff, the futaba rx does not cut off at the same voltage as the JR. It is true the JR will cut off and then reboot if the voltage comes back. futaba does not cut off. It will continue to operate until the servos no longer move but the rx will still function. It is this feature that saved my F15.
Maac#30370
JPO 2011 Member
KAPTAN KAOS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:12 PM   #18

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughes500E View Post
I don't want to start a brand war but I am curious if anyone has ever had problems with heat issues using FASST receivers. Really interested if you are enjoying the 6014 and what you are using it in.

Thanks
I have flown the 6014 all summer in some cases with outside temps as hot as 39C, and the airplane sitting in the sun for hours on pavement (canopy is opaque), as long as you keep it out of direct sunlight it should not get hot enough to cause a problem.

Also its best to avoid mounting near gear that will heat saturate it like mufflers etc. This is really common sense for any electronics though.

I think the 6014 is the only one affected by this, the 608 is a great option if you don't need the channels, its a bit lighter, smaller and is 2048 resolution.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #19
Hughes500E
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve H.

Total Props: 16

Thanks Chad, adds a lot of confidence hearing that!
Hughes500E is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #20
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

I raced onroad for 2 years with my FASST surface system in a 3PK radio and I never, ever, had an issue with it. Best system I've ever used.

That being said, I'm trying out a DX7 this time around for my air radio, so we'll see. I already had a Spektrum2 receiver, so I didn't want to fork out the extra dough for extra receivers if I bought Futaba this time around.

However, I think the FASST technology is probably the best out there.
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in