First flight of the HZ Super Cub LP - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 06-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #21
Edmonton
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Steve C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
Re: First flight of the HZ Super Cub LP

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Yeah, use the same one over there - not to creative on that front. We have a huge school yard right by our place, only problem is you can't get at it until after 8:30 because of soccer and baseball, but then again, because of everything else, I usually can't get out till 8:30 or 9:00 anyway. Lucky I live where it stays light till 10:30 or so.
Edmonton is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #22
rcwannabee
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rick C
Radio of choice:
DX6i
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 2

I just got the HZ Super Cub DSM2 and have had it out twice, flies really well and comes in very nicely for landings. I fly from a school where I can take off from the pavement and land on the grass field, just need to avoid the soccer goals on appoach. I will nose over almost immediately if I come in slow and flare to the point of almost stalling and if I come in a little fast it will nose over as soon as it slows down a bit. I don't think the plane is near heavy enough to deal with grass longer than a really fast putting green. Maybe really thin tall wheels, but they would look funny. I am putting mine on floats to fly at the cottage, can't wait to get up there and fly right from the dock or the boat even. Gotta love the electric foamies, so much easier to deal with than the 'wet' engines.
rcwannabee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:49 PM   #23
Edmonton
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Steve C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX6i
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0

I am wondering what will happen if you "nose over" or don't quite nail the landing, is getting the electronics wet going to cause any kind of issue? Also, make sure you have some kind of watercraft handy just in case you don't come in near shore.
Edmonton is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-03-2011, 03:57 PM   #24
rcwannabee
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX6i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmonton View Post
I am wondering what will happen if you "nose over" or don't quite nail the landing, is getting the electronics wet going to cause any kind of issue? Also, make sure you have some kind of watercraft handy just in case you don't come in near shore.
Well you definitely do not want to nose over on floats, the water will ruin the ESC and receiver. I will seal the receiver if I can, but the ESC is built-in to it, so I don't know if I really can seal either. The motor is fine with water and servos may be an issue if it is in the water too long. I expect the light weight and the fact it is foam will keep it sitting high enough in the water in the event of a flip that it will stay fairly dry.

You definitely don't want to switch to floats if you are inconsistent with take offs and landings. I will likely get some more flights from land in before putting the floats on. I have flown my LT40 with floats so it is not completely new to me, just been a rather long time. Definitely need a boat handy, crash or no crash, there is no water rudder so it won't likely steer at all on the water.

Last edited by rcwannabee; 06-03-2011 at 04:22 PM.
rcwannabee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #25
rcwannabee
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX6i

Flew the SC with floats on the weekend! It flies well, definitely helps to have a little breeze to fly in to for take off. You want to be able to land consistently before trying floats or it could get ugly quickly. It does land nice if you are on calm water and let it settle on to the water, I found it best to cut the power to allow it in to the glide path and then a little flare to level out and a good flare right before touching the water. You can add a little power back on if you are going to come in too short and then ease it back off once you are closer. It is great fun on floats, at least the take off and landing are, I kept wanting to take off and land after one circuit. The flying needs to be fairly scale as the extra drag and weight of the floats makes loops and rolls tough. The flight times are quite short if you are pushing it, they are still good if flying at 1/2 throttle or less!

Before putting on the floats I tried some 3" diameter wheels that are quite narrow and they worked well, but do not look right on the cub - no where near scale, more of a typical park flyer spoke wheel.

Really enjoying the Super Cub and electric flight in general, can't decide what plane I want next!
Old 06-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #26
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

I am glad to hear all you guys flying the SC on your own are doing well. That is a great first step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwannabee View Post
Really enjoying the Super Cub and electric flight in general, can't decide what plane I want next!
I have several causal RC friends that are also flying SC's as their first plane and also doing well. They are ready to move on to something with 4 channels and a little more responsive. They have all asked me the same question, and after giving it some thought, I told them all that the best second plane for them would be the Parkzone T-28.

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4475

It has all the features of a GOOD stable plane- easy to fly, stable, good lander. It als can be quite maneuverable and you can really throw it around. IMHO, this plane is one that anyone who can fly the Supercub well can easily fly the T-28 without my assistance (as an instructor). Of course, this recommendation is just a generalization. If you are a gifted flier, then maybe you can fly something a little more responsive, but for the masses, I propose this would be a good second airplane.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:30 AM   #27
Tyler P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Tyler P
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I am glad to hear all you guys flying the SC on your own are doing well. That is a great first step.

I have several causal RC friends that are also flying SC's as their first plane and also doing well. They are ready to move on to something with 4 channels and a little more responsive. They have all asked me the same question, and after giving it some thought, I told them all that the best second plane for them would be the Parkzone T-28.

http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4475

It has all the features of a GOOD stable plane- easy to fly, stable, good lander. It als can be quite maneuverable and you can really throw it around. IMHO, this plane is one that anyone who can fly the Supercub well can easily fly the T-28 without my assistance (as an instructor). Of course, this recommendation is just a generalization. If you are a gifted flier, then maybe you can fly something a little more responsive, but for the masses, I propose this would be a good second airplane.
Most definitely a very good second plane after the Super Cub! My second was the PZ Corsair but the T-28 is a much better candidate because the ground handling is much better for ROG takeoffs and landings. The Corsair is a tad more maneuverable than the T-28 but the T-28 has nice stability.
Tyler P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #28
rcwannabee
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
DX6i

[QUOTE=Max;840732]I am glad to hear all you guys flying the SC on your own are doing well. That is a great first step.

Actually this is not my first plane, I started with LT40 and a club instructor by my side. I think I may have been able to learn on my own with the SC, but I am glad I had an instructor and I recommend that route to everyone. The SC is my first outdoor electric and I wanted it for float flying.

I was thinking about the T28 as my next plane, a club member has one and really likes it.

RC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in