Interference from gas engine and long servo leads? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #1
KC8QVO

Total Props: 0
Interference from gas engine and long servo leads?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have heard that long servo leads can pick up gasoline engine ignition noise real nice. What is everyone's thoughts here? I am building a giant scale "trainer" airplane and the fuselage is 81 inches. I am wanting to install the servos for the tail surfaces in the tail of the airplane, that way I dont have to run push rods all the way through the fuselage. I would estimate that the servo leads would have to be 60" to reach from the cockpit to the location of the servos. My engine is a 25cc leaf blower engine running with the stock magneto. Is there anything I can do to prevent the engine "noise" from adversely affecting my electronics?

Steve
KC8QVO is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:52 PM   #2
Hurri

long servo wires

I use shielded wires on my big stuff for some 20 years now & not a single glitch . I get the wire in radio shack in US , can't get it up here , but if you can locate some the way to do it is --------
at the receiver end the black , neg; wire has the shield connected to it , the other 2 wires are left as is , The servo end of the shield is not connected , left open . What i do is cut the wire on the servo in middle & connect the shielded between the 2 ends . works great , inexpensive , better than chokes etc .
Hurri is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
KC8QVO

That sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about shielded lines but I wasnt sure that would cure it. Any ideas on what kind of shielded wire to get? maybe something like shielded telephone wire (although its 4 conductor)?

Steve

Old 04-23-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Hurri

long servo leads

I see you are from Ohio so no problem getting the shielded wire from Radio shack , it is about 30ft long coil , grey about 1/4" diam ; It has 4 reg; wires inside , red, white , black & green , so i just forget the green .
think it was about $12 US 3 years ago . It will do the job , as i said . One needs long wire to stretch distance from RX to servo out in wing or wherever , so why not shielded wire . I think most latest radios one can get away with reg; extensions , but this is as cheap a way & has done me good . The other thing to remember is - not to use a steel wire or clevis to work the carb from a servo , I use nyrod . &&& keep the RX as far away as you can from the eng; especially if you use electronic ignition .
Hurri is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:20 PM   #5
KC8QVO

So electronic ignition causes more problems than a magneto?

As for the nylon pushrod to the throttle, thats a good idea. I dont think I would have thought of doing that. I would have just used whatever I came across my path hehehe.

OK, Ill check around and see what I come up with on the wire. I am sure I can find it around here.

Steve
Old 04-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

Do not use solid core for your extensions. Solid core will break sooner or later from handling or vibration. If you check the number of the strands will be with the description. ie 20 guage 30 strand. The more strands the better as it will be more flexible. Also tie in(connect) the shields at the receiver end and leave the servo end free.
As for ignition, they all will give interferance. A cracked plug wire or a spark plug that is not rated R(resistor type) are the biggest culprits. Also loose connections will give you problems.
Just some things to add that makes me feel better when flying my own.
John
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in