OS FS120 feeler guages - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
Scale Freak

Total Props: 0
OS FS120 feeler guages

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have aquired an OS FS120, but the feeler guages are awol. They are the bent style to fit into the rocker arm area.
I am asking if anyone has a set of these that they are not using, could I make a deal with you?
Thanks everyone.

Dan
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
COSMOS
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: robert l

Total Props: 1
Re: OS FS120 feeler guages

I have an OS 4-Cycle Gauges & Tools Kit
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti..._id=OS72200060
Price $12.00 including all shipping cost
I have Paypal
Please let me know
Regards
COSMOS
COSMOS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #3

Total Props: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scale Freak View Post
I have aquired an OS FS120, but the feeler guages are awol. They are the bent style to fit into the rocker arm area.
I am asking if anyone has a set of these that they are not using, could I make a deal with you?
Thanks everyone.

Dan
I have been running 4 strokes for years and I do not use the feeler gauges to set the valves. I have used this method for years and it works for me.

Rotate in the direction it runs until one of the valves is fully depressed. Set the other so there is detectable clearance when you move the rocker arm. Then continue to rotate the engine until the other is depressed and set the other valve like the first one. Your done enjoy.

Dennis
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

setting to the proper clearance is very important ,as clearance changes the valve timimng ,it will run with a gestimate but not it's best.loose valve clearance will give better torque & less rpm /tight clearance will give higher rpm lower torque,not enough clearance and you will burn the valves & seats ,too mutch and you damage the valve stems and cam shaft lobes & lifters from hamering.manufacturers settings will be best .Roger
Old 01-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
setting to the proper clearance is very important ,as clearance changes the valve timimng ,it will run with a gestimate but not it's best.loose valve clearance will give better torque & less rpm /tight clearance will give higher rpm lower torque,not enough clearance and you will burn the valves & seats ,too mutch and you damage the valve stems and cam shaft lobes & lifters from hamering.manufacturers settings will be best .Roger
The only way cam timing can be changed is physically do so by changing the relationship between the cam and the crankshaft. You will not develop more torque by too much clearance. You will however loose power because the valve is not staying open as long nor lifting as much. Same goes for valves that are too tight not letting the valves seat properly allowing combustion gasses to pass between the valve face and seat which may cause damage

Here is a little test for you. Set the intake valve at .0015 and the exhaust at .004. Feel and look at the play when you move the rocker. Once you get a feel for it try setting it without the feeler gauges. With a little practice you will be able to set it easily. Most people end up setting the valves to tight as they cannot determine by feel that they are actually compressing the valve spring especially if it is in an awkward position. If you do use a feeler gauge at least check afterwards that there is some play between the rocker and valve stem. I cannot count the number of times someone has asked me to look at their engine because it hasn’t run right since they last set the valves only to find no clearance at all.

I’m not saying my way is the right way but it works for me. Some have even checked my adjustment with feeler gauges after I have set them and they fall right around the mean of the valve lash clearance.

Dennis
Old 01-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #6
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

so you are saying if you reduce valve clearance the valve will not open sooner & close later and if you increase clearance it will not delay valve opening and close early .so if you open and the valve sooner you don't reduce compression stroke,and if you open them later you don't increase compression stroke.actually this is exactly what happens.

the cam lobes have leading and trailing ramps the tighter the valve adjustment the sooner the lifter starts to go up the ramp,this can be easily mesured with a degree wheel & dial gauge I have to do it all the time on my HI preformance car engines.you can change the timing as mutch as 8 degree with just valve adjustment ,that is huge .believe it or not the manufacturer has thought this all through(that is why there is a spec).you really don't need to understand why.but I thought I would offer some of the fundamentals to help guys understand .but set them with your fingers if you like LOL Roger

PS : I never said you would not loose power with loose valves I said you would increase the torque & torque is not the same as HP. and with them tighter the motor would be able to turn faster but that does not mean it can turn a bigger prop,just means it's timed to turn faster.to set the valves bang on gives the best of both worlds .most guys don't understand the how mutch effect on timing there is with poor adjustment,like your self you thought there was no effect .or do you think it looses power just because there is a big gap .

Last edited by RAMJET; 01-02-2010 at 11:22 AM.
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #7

Is that 8 cam or crank degrees.me thinks someone is quoting something they read in a hotrod magazine.

Dennis
Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
Scale Freak

Total Props: 0

Pm sent to you.

Dan
  Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in