Painting over Ultracote - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
pittsflyer111b
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Bob W
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18QQ

Total Props: 7
Painting over Ultracote

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Has anyone ever painted Ultracote? If so, how was it done successfully, and with what paint? Looking to add some airbrush highlights to a color scheme.

Thanks
Bob
pittsflyer111b is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
suresharp
RCC Apprentice

I am: James D
Radio of choice:
11x
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 0
Re: Painting over Ultracote

I have not done this but it is a plastic and plastic can be painted. So the paint I would use would be for plastic. That said I would make a sample of Ultracote iron on balsa to test. The Ultracote would have to be cleaned well with alcohol. Control of the spray in many thin coats desirable.
suresharp is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Argus
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Wade Z

Total Props: 4

Painted an Unionville Otter back around 2000. Seem to recall I wound up using Tremclad, mixing my own colours except for the aluminum.

Cleaning the covering is very important. Another is skuff sanding the covering, to allow the paint attachment points (no different than painting over varnish or other coatings).

Try to find a paint that will attach well to plastic (there was a lot of cracking and chipping that occurred on my effort). Agree with the suggestion of doing test panels before using on your model.

Wade
MAAC #57828
Living dangerously in the Low Fly Zone (seakings overhead !!!!)
Aircraft Maintenence Engineer-Structures apprentice
Argus is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
fixer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bob A
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 2

It might be worth trying a plastic specific paint like Krylon, available at Home depot. It sticks to plastic chemically and remains flexible. One must test as was suggested. You could set up a test piece that will show you if the paint reacts badly to the plastic and if you know it's square inch dimensions, and the approximate area of the planes surface to be painted you could weigh it before and after to deduce the added weight.
fixer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in