GTM 1/3 Fokker D-7 - Page 25 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Warbirds Place to discuss anything Warbird Related..... Fighter Planes, Fighter Jets, Fighter Helis and All Warbird Builds, etc.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #241
mR JoLLy
RCC Apprentice

I am: Nigel Wagstaff
Radio of choice:
Futaba FF9 with Spektrum module
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 0
Re: GTM 1/3 Fokker D-7

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Steve, I am working on that problem right now. I am installing the servo tray and making a slightly larger door so the servo can be removed should it be necessary.

The push rod Idea is in there, but I am also wanting it to appear correct so the thinking cap is currently on for this very topic
mR JoLLy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #242
SteveD
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Steven Daly
Radio of choice:
futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

Time to get back at the D7,it's been awhile.I had a pretty uneventful flying season although I did attend two IMAC meets.After the Aug 1st meet I haven't flown at all.I'm not sure why,although the weather hasn't been the greatest...
Anyway its time to get back at the D7 and I've made a change on the engine of choice for this one.Today I just ordered a Roto 85cc 4 stroke 2cyl inline engine from AMR.It will turn a 27x8 prop around 5200 rpm.Now I dont have to worry about the hard starting Zen62 on a redrive and the cannister muffler it would need to keep the noise down to an acceptable level'The Roto 85 sounds more realistic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roto-85-FSI.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	419929  
SteveD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #243
Cricklewood
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 4

Looks like a great engine and being four stroke the sound will be much better than the G62. I always look forward to updates on this build.
Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:28 PM   #244
SteveD
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
futaba

Yes its a fascinating engine .I seen a Kolm 135 inline in a 1/3 BUSA D7 on U Tube and it seemed a bit overpowered.And its a way more expensive than the Roto 85.Even the Kolm 100 inline is a lot more.
/www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ7mhIPcNY8
Old 09-17-2014, 01:27 AM   #245
mR JoLLy
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:

He's back . . . . YAY!

Interesting change of direction Steve. It will be most intriguing to see how it performs. Will you have to move the firewall for this engine??

You may recall Tilmann who put a few posts on this thread earlier. His D.VII is flying with an AUW of 23.5Kg. 2.9 Kg of ballast in the nose!

Here is a video of it flying on what looks like a less than perfect day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BiI...ature=youtu.be

I am currently doping my wings at the moment and stripping the fuselage out for covering.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #246
SteveD
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
futaba

Hi Nigel;I believe I have to move the firewall a 1/2 or 3/4" back,simple enough to do.I'm a bit surprised at Tilmanns weight(51.8lbs) on his Fokker,doesn't that seem a bit high for a GTM model?Six pounds in the nose sounds normal enough.Tell me did you go pull pull on the ailerons?any pics of that?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:05 AM   #247
mR JoLLy
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:

The weight is on the money for the D.VII from what I understand. I expect to have a little more on that because I have used more wing tubes, the guns weigh a little more etc. I am re-thinking the internals at the moment to bring everything as far forward as possible. I am hoping I don't have to add that much lead, but we will see.

The Ailerons will be Pull:Pull, but I have just looked for pictures of the installation and I can't see any!! I can't do anything at the moment because the top fabric is getting doped up. When everything is cut out and installed I will take a picture for you which will be in a week or so.

I moved my firewall no problem myself when the size of shim on the prop shaft was reduced!

Nigel
Old 09-19-2014, 05:35 AM   #248
mR JoLLy
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:

Something I have just discovered is the plans show the guns with approx 80 mm of separation. In actual fact they should be 100mm separation. Guess what . . . the ammo box fits perfectly as supplied if you move the guns to these positions.

Having modified the chutes like you I am going to rework them again so I can get everything fitting as accurately as possible. Normally I would not bother but I am going commercial with the guns so need to get everything right. I discovered the problem when drawing the belt return tubes and could not fit the right hand guns tubes in.

It will be a few days work from what I can see because the mounts for the guns will need relocating also!

Boo Hiss!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spandau Kit-Chutes_10.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	469.1 KB
ID:	421537  
Old 09-21-2014, 05:47 AM   #249
Aida_w
RCC Noob

I am: Tilmann M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba FX40

Hi again,
it's a while ago that I wrote here last. In the meantime my GTM Fokker DVII had her maiden and was the showstealer at a Dawn-Patrol like event last week.
I am very happy with the final result even though the road was long and winding (as I coined it in a building thread in RCSCALEBUILDER.com). Glenn called it "a bumpy road". True.
Nevertheless the result is outstanding.

Steve, the weight Nigel is talking about is pretty exactly what Glenn told me his prototype was weighing in at. It is - btw - exactly 23.4kg - having 2.7 ballast in the nose. This means a CG which is FAR behind the one Glenn is recommending in the plans!
And the bird still is noseheavy!
I will remove another 400g. The computer application "WinLaengs 4.0." spit out 170mm to 210mm behind top wing's leading edge! I flew her at 190 so far. Very comfortable this way but I could use a bit more bite .

Re the ailerons I will put pics to my RCSB thread pretty soon. As of now: I could not imagine a pull pull setting and still being able to tighten the cables properly (where to put any turnbuckle???)!
So I opted for a solid rod on the underside (which you can never see anyway) and a dummy, spring loaded, cable which immerges into the leather protected opening on the top side. Works flawlessly and is looking absolutely scale like.

One more thing: you wrote:>>to worry about the hard starting Zen62 on a redrive<<.
Who told you that?
This is it:choke closed, throttle fully open, five to ten flips until first ignitions, choke open, throttle closed and the ZG62 will start after three more flips the latest - ALWAYS!

Cheers
Tilmann

Last edited by Aida_w; 09-21-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Aida_w is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #250
SteveD
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
futaba

Nice work Tillman;Interesting stuff about the CG location and the nose weight.I read somewhere that the z62 was hard to start on a redrive unless it was well broken in.I have a new z62 and right now its hard to start,I guess i need to break it in some more.Is yours a regular z62 or do you have electric/battery ignition?Also are you using the Zimmermann exhaust canister?Its very quietI'll do some more breaking in on mine and see how it goes,maybe I'll get an elec/ignition for it.I was going to use a solid rod on the bottom and dummy cable on top also,but haven't figured out how to adapt a connection between the rod and the scale carbon fibre bellcrank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in