Alternate wood experiment - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336
Alternate wood experiment

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
A while ago I built up a structure to see if cedar would be suitable for model construction. I pulled it out today to check if it is still structurally sound. I found 5 small glue joints that had loosend up, not too shabby for 3 years of banging & shifting around the shop! It is still amazingly strong both torsionally and in shear!

The stats are: 48" long, 4.5" wide & about 3.5 oz, all glue joints are weldbond.

So the original idea was to do it up rubber powered as a free flight but now I'm thinking of doing it up as an old timer and putting a small 4 stroke on it to give it the shake test.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1735.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	168510   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1736.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	168511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1737.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	168512  

Last edited by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK; 10-09-2012 at 08:08 PM.
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Wayne_K
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Wayne K

Total Props: 5
Re: Alternate wood experiment

Love it.

And if you glue a little 1/64th ply half circle shape behind each critical glue joint it will probably end up nearly indestructible.

BTW, I love Weldbond.

Let us know how it works out.

W
Wayne_K is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11

Looks good to me Merv. Doing some stick building here myself. Wayne is right about the joints...some need re inforcing and some may not . Was looking around for the A small 30 four stroke yesterday. Noticed AMR C has ther ASP 30 available.

Dave
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Wayne, I have considered that around the nose, tail feather mount & the wing attatchment! Thanks for the confirmation!

The goal behind this project is to build a plane with zero balsa. Not because I hate the stuff or don't have any - just for the sake of doing it different!

I am thinking of blue foam for ribs with willow cap strips, spruce/cedar spars, willow again for laminated wing tips and tail feather outlines & thin birch ply for critical area's. (engine/wing mounts etc.)

The trick I beleive will be in getting the sizes apropriate to the strength needed.

Dave, I would be catious about buying the ASP .30! I haven't been able to confirm it but I believe it is the same engine as the Magnum .30. The Magnum has some valve & ring issues, ask me how I know! The price is good though!

I have the OS .30 (excellent engine) and several Saito .30's (top of the line).
Some one in his wisdom at Horizon Hobbies decided that North Americans don't want Saito's .30 but it is still available in the rest of the world!
Old 10-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

Same thing Merv.

Bill
Old 10-10-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
TLyttle
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Terry L

Total Props: 7

Seems to me that Bill Northrop built one of his models from spruce, then from balsa. Not too much weight difference, plenty strong. Considering that much spruce can be found in the studs in the local lumber yard, it is an option...
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #7
Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Seems to me that Bill Northrop built one of his models from spruce, then from balsa. Not too much weight difference, plenty strong. Considering that much spruce can be found in the studs in the local lumber yard, it is an option...
I suppose if one used spruce in place of balsa one could step down in dimention some as spruce can be a little stronger than balsa. ??:
Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
HITEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceenut View Post
I suppose if one used spruce in place of balsa one could step down in dimention some as spruce can be a little stronger than balsa. ??:
My first attempt at using cedar was a Senior Telemaster fuse. I didn't downsize the wood & it came out pretty heavy! This one the wood is about 1/2 or less in dimension than one would expect on an airframe this size. Seems about right! Spruce would need to be smaller still.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #9
aspeed
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
monoline
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 6

I have heard redwood is good for spars. It seems impossible to find now. Is redwood the same thing as cedar?
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:57 AM   #10
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 18

A couple of years ago I built what I call my 1910 Monoplane, similar to a Proctor Antic without the wires. The fuselage is all spruce strips and mahogany door skin plywood. I also got a wing off John for an Astro Hog I built a new fuselage for it the same way. There is some balsa to round out the fuselage. Many years ago I built a control line twin all out of cedar. The spruce strips fuselages turned out light, strong and ridged. Like the guys said I used small pyramid shaped tabs to strengthen all the joints except where the two sticks over lapped. The all cedar control line A/C was a little heaver than balsa but then it had two .35 engines in it and it went like hell. Many years ago I built a small table saw and used one of those 3" die grinder saw blade with no off set. This produces a fuzz free cut. I used a vacuum cleaner motor and the belt for a sewing machine to drive it. A cut down prop cooled the motor and also blew the dust away.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in