Starting The Mains - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #11
bobf24
RCC Expert Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I personally dont think extra distance will do anything, there will always be someone that loads up and doens't go right away, and there will always be the people that think they can win the race on the stragiht or first corner, and just try and drive through everyone, if everyone used their heads and laid off of everyone, you could be a foot apart and not have problems, but that will never happen,

one thing I will never forget, the time I went to CRCRC, in one of the qualifers the one guy smoked me at the end of the straight to start the clock, so we started like 50 feet apart and he still smoked me, so its really not going to matter how far apart we start, there will always be the couple people with no brains,
bobf24 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #12
JordanAK
RCC Pro Contributor

Of coarse having a wider gap between cars will help as long as the start is done properly, that goes for the pit-men, drivers and most importantly the starter starting the race. The fact that the start is the least practiced part of the weekend until the actual start of the mains will usually cause grief for someone.
2010 & 2009 RC Pro Nitro Buggy Champion, Ont.
2010 Glorcs Buggy 3rd
2010 Glorcs Truggy 5th
www.rcsnowmobiles.com
JordanAK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #13
imported_MikeB
RCC Contributor

I agree with Jordan. Starting the cars further apart will always help. It certainly won't prevent every mishap though. Really by starting them all grouped together there is very little benifit to qualifying. In fact it could be better to start last than mid pack.
imported_MikeB is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:08 AM   #14
matt2
RCC Expert Contributor

Both opinions are valid, some times leaving a gap will work other time it just moves the pile up 10 feet futher down the track. Just like i been in races where 3 feet between the cars also worked .I think we need all track to start the races the same for one, One solution is, you got a least 12 cars starting therefore you got 12 people with in feet of the cars when they leave the starting line , but if there is a pile up these same guys are already heading back to pit lane. So since everyone will agree the big pile up cant be total stoped , i think we need to have the pit guys standing ready to get the cars back out heading in the right direction as soon as possible so there race isnt lost in the first corner.
Just a thought
Matt
Niagara R/C Hobbies
matt2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 AM   #15
JordanAK
RCC Pro Contributor

Matt, You ran a race where we spread the cars fairly far apart, like around a corner or two, I think that was a couple years ago /

We had a "Pro-Series" 1/8 on-road race in Hamilton a few weeks ago, the cars are ten feet apart, the flag-man points the flag at #10 pit-man holding the car and then goes down the line making sure everyone is PAYING ATTENTION and done refueling, when he points to the last [man #1] the flag goes down and the cars go down in the box, within 3 seconds the LOUD horn goes and there off !

The flag man watches for any jump-starts and a second spotter watches the last five cars to makes sure they stay put also. If anyone jumps they get a stop and go in the pits.

The Glorcs dudes or track owners need to mark the BIG O and number the positions with an actual number. In the case of Sammy`s they should use the entire straight and the pit guys should be holding the cars facing the stand on the opposit side of the drivers stand, not on the same side because the drivers can`t see the cars worth a sheet.
2010 & 2009 RC Pro Nitro Buggy Champion, Ont.
2010 Glorcs Buggy 3rd
2010 Glorcs Truggy 5th
www.rcsnowmobiles.com
JordanAK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:56 AM   #16
matt2
RCC Expert Contributor

i really like the idea of the flag guy pointing at the pits guys and stuff ,really has everyone paying attentions alot of time thats what starts the mayhem. , Is a pit guy not ready and then throws a guy out into traffic. I think the best plan is over then next couple weeks we will try these ideas at niagara and see what works the best and then hope the Glorcs guys , make those ideas stick.

Matt
Niagara R/C Hobbies
matt2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #17
John Bakker
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: JB

I think there should be 5 feet or more ten would be nice between each car .the last three races i've be at I've been plowed from behind and end up facing the other way .by the time I get marsheled I'm in last place .May as well be a starting gate. There should be EQUAL incerments for each starting positition,and it should be marked on the track or the pipe.I have not seen this yet in this outdoor season.There should also be a flag person on the track,that person should have control of the start .the person on the computer only has to push a button once the race is under way.perhaps the flag person could have a horn thingy also.
John Bakker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:30 PM   #18
bobf24
RCC Expert Contributor

whats the differene if you get smoked on the straight or in the first corner, either way its gonna happen, at least with smaller distance between cars they have less of a speed difference when they plow into the back of you

the trick is to just jump the tube in the first corner and keep going, there is so much going on no one notcies when people do that

if the decision for this is like any other decisions, dont expect anything consistent to happen any time soon, "there is no perfect series"
bobf24 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:38 PM   #19
imported_Pete787
RCC Apprentice

I think a bigger gap between cars is good, but I still think it should be a drop start. As long as everyone does it at the same time it is fair. If someone drops (or throws the buggy) early they should restart. If that same person drops early the second time, they lose a lap. The chances of someone dropping early is no diferent than someone on the stand pulling the trigger early. The only problem I found with the cars sitting there is that if you are the first car down on the ground you sit and idle for to long(sometimes a long time), so the next race you try not to be the first on the ground but then some else is going to sit for to long. Either way works for me but I like the drop method the best. It still is going to be a mess at the end of the straigh.
imported_Pete787 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:46 PM   #20
John Bakker
~~BANNED PEOPLE~~

I am: JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobf24
whats the differene if you get smoked on the straight or in the first corner, either way its gonna happen, at least with smaller distance between cars they have less of a speed difference when they plow into the back of you
I'd rather take that chance at the end of the straightaway instead of getting smoked in the first five feet
John Bakker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in