Would you use a DX18 for your jet? - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 11-08-2012, 05:13 PM   #31
Sparhawk
RCC Contributor

I am: Dan J.
Radio of choice:
14MZ
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Re: Would you use a DX18 for your jet?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It's very simple. We Futaba users have no need for crap that counts fades and frames, as it's not needed... Same for additional "satellites". The one improvement that I would like to see is a third antenna, since there is only 3 axis to worry about, so why do you need 4 "satellites"? The need for all that extra nonsense would make me nervous as hell.

And please explain the reasoning behind counting fades and re-orienting any antenna? Your plane is in constant motion and the attitude is constantly changing in relation to your transmitter antenna, so what's the point? I don't get it. If the angles never changed, then ok, but that will never be the case with our planes.

To the OP, get one that is more than your present need. It comes down to what system do you trust. Every one else's opinion is just that....an opinion.

Good luck with whatever you decide to use.

Dan
MAAC #68159
Sparhawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #32
cloudniner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Richard N
Radio of choice:
Graupner MC28 & MC20 & MZ-32
# of RCs: 24

Total Props: 32

"crap that counts fades and frames, as it's not needed"

Yea tell that to the guys who lost jets at Joe Nall using Futaba stuff. Futaba's solution longer antenna which reduces range. This was to get the actual antenna away from the mass of metal.

Google Futaba Jets Joe Nall.

What really irks me about this mine is better crap is what proof do you have that FASST is any better than DSMX or DMSS? NONE! They both are more or less the same. The Spek/JR system uses separate receivers in those sats. Futaba uses two antenna that feed a splitter in the one Rx. Prove to me and the world that the Futaba system is BETTER. What proof do you have. You expressed your opinion about crap now prove it.

All of the systems except the new JR DMSS system us the same Cypress front end chips. The DSMX system has these front end chips in the Sats as well as the main Rx. Futaba uses the same damn chip set with two antenna feeding a splitter that sends the two signals one after the other to the front end. The new JR DMSS receivers use a new Texas Instruments front end chip which has much better sensitivity than the Cypress one. Not only that but the main Rx has two separate front ends and another in the sat. Three separate receivers to sort out which signal is best. They are also using a faster CPU in the Rx made by PIC. The other systems use a slower Atmel chip.

Actually I think the new JR DMSS system is the best of all. Why because of the 3 MHz wide signal when all the others use 1 MHz. But I can't prove it either. It just makes sense to me (see diag). That is why I switched. Although it doesn't play tunes or take pictures I will settle for 4096 resolution and the lowest latency of all, plus the built in telemetry. Oh and I can buy two XG11s for the price of the picture taking, tune playing, 14XYZ and three or four for the price of the what is it 18XYZ.

Here is some PROOF about the performance of the XG DMSS radios. Watch the guys fly these 3D helis. The radio has to be a good performer to pull those wins off. Eight out of the top eleven used the new JR radios from this world competition in the Netherlands. That is PROOF.

http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/new...ts.php?no=1334

MAAC 7965L
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SS-E.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	176779  

Last edited by cloudniner; 11-08-2012 at 08:04 PM.
cloudniner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #33
davidmc36
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
....The need for all that extra nonsense would make me nervous as hell.
It's not about need, it is about available. I flew for two seasons on DX7 before I picked up a flight log and never had even a hint of issue. And that includes a plane with a 7 channel that I never even bothered putting any Satellites on. The Rx is positioned well away from and below the pod mounted engine and is well away from all other electronics. When I picked one up and started checking my planes that had Rx's installed carefully as the manufacturer reccomends I found all the numbers very low. Never any hint of frame losses never mind holds. Even the one with no sats gets decent numbers and never loses a frame.

I for one appreciate having some feedback about RF performance instead of just assuming all is well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
....And please explain the reasoning behind counting fades and re-orienting any antenna? Your plane is in constant motion and the attitude is constantly changing in relation to your transmitter antenna, so what's the point? I don't get it. If the angles never changed, then ok, but that will never be the case with our planes.
Because it may help identify a Rx that is simply positioned too close to other things in the plane and consistently gets poor reception regardless of orientation.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #34
kev-o
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin f
Radio of choice:
Spektrum /Vcontrol

Total Props: 13

As Glenn asked would you trust your jet to a dx18 those of us that use them commented. Multiple satellite placements makes for a better signal through all attitudes in flight, I use the counter to tell me if I can place one in a better location that's all. The dx18 works with all of the previous spektrum receivers the new jr doesn't. But we aren't talking about the new jr or Futaba for that matter he asked about the dx18.

Glenn if you have questions about it from someone who flys it shoot me a text or call.
MA XLPRO2K Long live the flybar
kev-o is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #35
cloudniner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Thumbs up Re: Would you use a DX18 for your jet?

Sorry guys I just get ticked when these Futaba guys jump in on a post that has nothing to do with them and they use words like crap to dump on another system.

I have had my hands on just about every JR/Spektrum made. I don't have a DX18 but have read the manual front to back and it looks great.

With DSMX it will be secure. I would not hesitate except I jumped to DMSS.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #36
kev-o
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Kevin f
Radio of choice:
Spektrum /Vcontrol

Total Props: 13

Me too Richard I've been a jr guy for a long time and have had a9z an 9c briefly and programmed 14s for customers I have built for. I'm not into the techie stuff on these just good software and ease of programming. And for me it's jr/spektrum. I still have my 12x too. Glenn will make an educated decision and go with what his gut says is right.
MA XLPRO2K Long live the flybar
kev-o is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #37
MikeCam
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dan F

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudniner View Post
"crap that counts fades and frames, as it's not needed"

Yea tell that to the guys who lost jets at Joe Nall using Futaba stuff. Futaba's solution longer antenna which reduces range. This was to get the actual antenna away from the mass of metal.

Google Futaba Jets Joe Nall.
The Futaba jet crash was caused by a mirrored plate installed over the Rx. When the Futaba guys saw the install they voiced their concerns but with some test flights already done he kept flying it that way, he admitting later that he should of changed it.

I goggled Joe Nall jet crash and only found this, not a Futaba crash.

Here is some PROOF about the performance of the XG DMSS radios. Watch the guys fly these 3D helis. The radio has to be a good performer to pull those wins off. Eight out of the top eleven used the new JR radios from this world competition in the Netherlands. That is PROOF.

I guess none of the winners had these problems.

http://www.vstabi.info/de/node/1272
MikeCam is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 AM   #38
cloudniner
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

No they didn't!

Yea you can cherry pick info off the internet all day long.

The problem with the very sophisticated V-bar governor was software that was written for a specific radio and hardware. Most of these guys use the Spek/JR sats and not the whole Rx. JR came out with a brand new radio and since the sats have a different connector the guys were using the whole Rx. Vstabi need the protocols of the new DMSS system. This is were the problem occurred. Completely nothing to do with flying aircraft jets or otherwise.

This is about a guy asking about using a DX18 not friggen Futaba. Just can't help yourselves can you....

Last edited by cloudniner; 11-09-2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #39
Myzee
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Myles Jarvis
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 8
Thumbs up Re: Would you use a DX18 for your jet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboysnow View Post
futaba will always be number one no matter what!
Absolutely!!!!!
Old 11-09-2012, 05:59 AM   #40
MikeCam
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dan F

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudniner View Post

This is about a guy asking about using a DX18 not friggen Futaba. Just can't help yourselves can you....
I think you should ask yourself that question, I never pushed any radio, only fixed the misinformation you were spreading.

You were the one pushing the JR DMSS, remember, you might be getting on up in years so I'll show you your quote if you forgot.

Actually I think the new JR DMSS system is the best of all. Why because of the 3 MHz wide signal when all the others use 1 MHz. But I can't prove it either. It just makes sense to me (see diag). That is why I switched. Although it doesn't play tunes or take pictures I will settle for 4096 resolution and the lowest latency of all, plus the built in telemetry. Oh and I can buy two XG11s for the price of the picture taking, tune playing, 14XYZ and three or four for the price of the what is it 18XYZ.

http://www.jrpropo.co.jp/english/new...ts.php?no=1334

I'm sure the OP is very thankful to you for the JR DMSS Link, should come in real handy for his answer to the DX18.

I guess we shouldn't be too hard on you, only been 6 weeks and still not one person has commented on your thread about DMSS. I feel sorry for you.

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=147221
MikeCam is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in