How much do Canadians spend on R/C - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 05:32 AM   #1
Compilot

Total Props: 0
How much do Canadians spend on R/C

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Any one know how much is spent annually in Canada on R/C and related goods?

Thanks.
Compilot is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:45 AM   #2
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Very much doubt that there are any reliable figures on this.
Anything extant would be scewed anyway by direct imports by individuals from US retailers particularly those with US addresses for the purpose of making entry into Canada more simple and cheaper than dealing with customs brokers.
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:59 AM   #3
Ken Baker
RCC Contributor

I am: Ken B

There are two questions here.

The topic as posted is How much do Canadians spend on R/C?

In his first post compilot asks: How much is spent in Canada annually on R/C?

I would be interested to know the answer to the first regardless of whether it is spent in Canada or externally. How this could be determined, I have no idea.
Ken Baker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-13-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
britbrat

I spend all that's available (or goes unnoticed by the Dragon).

If there are 10,000 MAAC members (or whatever) & they spend $1k ea (not a bad estimate I think) -- then $10M would be about it. However, I spend>$1K annually & I think that I'm at the low end -- so--- maybe $20M - $30M.
britbrat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:51 AM   #5
NorseHammer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Moe N.

BritBrat sounds about right

I agree with BritBrat's estimate, it's the same roughly for the 30 or so regular fliers at our club, as much as the respective War Depts' allow or between 1and 2 $K whicevers is greater. The min would most definately be $1K we invest 2 or 3 hundred in fuel or batteries alone each. There's almost always a flight pack or two as well as an engine or two per year not to mention kits and those seemingly inexpensive little fiddly bits from the likes of Dubro, Klett and Sullivan. Its usually a subject only talked about in the most secret of circumstances though. If one values ones hobby life.

S.P.A.D.s, Fibreglas & Balsa EDF's, Foamies, Brushless powered and nitro balsa planes, they're all in my hanger, just don't explain what it all means to the mrs, eh?
NorseHammer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:33 AM   #6
Kevin McGrath
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: kevin w

Total Props: 1
Dont agree with any of the figures thrown out so far........there are at least twice as many casual flyers in parks ,schoolyards,and cow pastures as belong to MAAC and the total potential market is probably closer to 40000 individuals.
No one has mentionded cars,rockets or boats yet either so remember the question is R/C usage not just aircraft.
Im very sure that in my zone at least the AVERAGE club flyer is not spending anywhere near 1000$ per year,and probably 400$ (after the initial radio/plane/engine cost is more like it or even on the high side.Dont forget MAAC and Club dues are costing an average of $100 per year,and there i s a quickly rising cost of transportation in many of the higher density areas of the country where commuting to a far distant field is normal......
The Planet is doing what it has always done.......floods,volcanic eruptions storms,
earthquakes.........but today there are more people in the way.
Kevin McGrath is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:36 AM   #7
Ken Baker
RCC Contributor

I am: Ken B

You are only talking MAAC members. There are many who arn't members of MAAC spending as well. People who buy remote cars, boats and other remotely controlled toys.
Ken Baker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:56 AM   #8
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

...some maac members don't spend a dime...they manage to keep their planes (boats, cars, etc) intact year after year......and some of them only fly once a year, if that......

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2004, 05:39 PM   #9
Charlie
RCC Contributor

I am: Charlie G
Radio of choice:
JR 11X

I know how much I send . I'm some glad I sold my guns, I would hate to put the barrel of one in my mouth (just kidding guy's), I don't have any money left for bullets anyway .
Charlie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:24 PM   #10
JimBrown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jim Brown
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-24
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4
Funny you should ask that. I didn't really know how much I spend annually on RC stuff. But, I've been keeping track of all my finances since '96 in Quicken.

So I ran a quick report.

And scared myself. My average annual spending is in the upper end of 4 figures.

Then I calmed down and rationalized that I'm having more fun spending all that money on something I enjoy than I would if I'd put it in the bank. And besides, there are hobbies out there that are more expensive.

...jim
JimBrown is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in