MAAC President Resigns - Page 8 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 PM   #71
fxman
RCC Noob

I am: David L
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 40

Total Props: 0
Cool Re: MAAC President Resigns

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well for now , what I have to say about Mr. Dodd resigning is, this is only his words, and if this is how he feels then so be it. as for me I would like to hear the other sides of the story. As I was at the last AGM in Montreal earlier this year I was privee to some of the issues that MAAC had to deal with in the past year, and was not impressed by the handling of some of these issues. The legal fees incurred by MAAC for a particular member that had caused alot of conflict in the MAAC head office, the lack of respect given to the late Jack Mcgillivary for his contribution to the hobby and to MAAC, the lack of concern for rule changes that were about to take place (not taking into consideration other aspects of the hobby ex. f/f and c/l fliers) MAAC is not just for Radio Controlled pilots, it is there for governance and credibility for all aspects of the hobby. I felt that there was some executive members who overlooked these issues, and therefore feel that change maybe good for the organization, good luck Claude.
The one thing I do not want to see is an audit by Corporations Canada, as an owner of a Canadian incorporated company, this is not in the best interest of this non profit organitation (MAAC). It was put forward at the AGM that the executive wanted to be more transparent to its membership, this is a hobby, people!! do we really need to get involved with civil liberties and human rights? I think not !!!!
fxman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #72
mwavesdave

I am: Dave R.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 7C 2.4
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 24
Re: MAAC President Resigns

Agree with Mervin, perhaps some investigation into the insurance industry to see just what would be required to provide coverage for a club. If the one statement I read is correct, regarding the costs of insurance as a portion of our membership, I'd like to know what the rest of the money is going to, and if the best interest of the hobby is being upheld, vice the building of an empire. I've got a lot of faith in our Atlantic Zone Director, Regis Landry. If he says something is going awry at MAAC, I for one believe him. As a club president, and MAAC member, I certainly want to know what's going on, why, and what's being done. If MAAC were to collapse over some scandal, what then? I'd certainly want to start investigating options.
mwavesdave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #73
Yuvski
RCC Contributor

I am: Yuval K.
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 99

Total Props: 7

These kind of threads are grade "A" entertainment! Thanks guys!
But come on a little bit more arguing, I've see you guys do better for much less of a subject.
Bring out the anger and oomff haha!
What a great hobby world this is, it's all about idiotic politics and sometimes about the flying! Woot!

I truly wish MAAC will crumble, with all the "good" it is supposed to stand for this hobby there is just too much political smoke covering it up and at this point it's just all bulls%#t.
MAAC is useless to me... MAAC is useless.Period.
Yuvski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #74
Dave Larkin
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: David L

Total Props: 7

We are fortunate that Ron Dodd has resigned. MAAC has not been run well during his tenure. Personally I found I could not get the courtesy of a reply from him when I contacted him about things he was supposed to do, and of course he didn't do them. I gather my experience is not unique. There has been a lot going on that was hidden by applying confidentiality - when there should have been transparency.

Presumably Claude Melbourne, the VP, will take over. Claude is a fine, reliable zone director with a great record. He lives just down the road from Richard Barlow, who, was a very succesful MAAC President for many years, finally stepping down about 18 months ago. I think there were some relatively new people on the Board who wanted a change for change's sake, and boy, did they get it. Last year's Executive was not as functional as it might be, and the Board elected a better Executive for this year. But Ron would not work with them, with the result you see.

All these charges are quite baseless, and, in my opinion, result from personal animosity. Most of the Board know what they are doing, and will represent their zones well. However this situation does result from Zones making a poor choice of who they send as Zone Director. Being a ZD is an onerous task, and we should be grateful to those who take it on. But all too often a ZD is elected because nobody else stood, or because he was the only one left standing when the music stopped.

Elections from the Board to the Executive sometimes produce weird results because the ZDs don't really know each other very well. They may be motivated by geograpical reasons "It is time our part of the country had the Presidency" rather than issues of competence. It is not the first time that a thoroughly unsatisfactory President has been elected. We should be grateful for the times that we have had great Presidents, like Warren Hitchcox, Eldon Linden, Colin Campbell, and Richard Barlow.

So if you didn't attend your zone's AZM, don't winge. Make sure you attend next time.

Part of our problems arise from changes in the MAAC constitution to introduce a two-year term. This may not have been a wise move. Memo to Constitution Committee: Fix this!

This is episode is a classic case of "Everybody is out of step but me!" Hardly anybody on the Board seems to have supported Ron Dodd, and that isn't an accident. Ron Dodd may be a nice guy to meet at the flying field, but he wasn't the right material for the presidency of a national organization.

Dave Larkin MAAC 3577L

Ex ZD Ottawa Valley in the 90s.
Dave Larkin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #75
Tracar
RCC Apprentice

I am: Travis
Radio of choice:
ER9X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
Perhaps competition is the solution! If we had an alternate choice people could speak with thier feet!

Monopolies nearly always lead to corruption!
i for one agree with this very statement. more options are needed.
i remember a time when there was no crap like rules and such and people didnt talk out of their backdoor holes. everyone must remember this is still classed as a hobby. the best thing to do is to charge everyone 5 SMACK bucks for admin fees and mail them back $4.50 "minus the cost of 1 stamp" to show them what they are missing.

Honesty beats Policy any day!

O and sorry bout the MAAC problem
Tracar is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #76
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1973 View Post
Regis (zone director for atlantic sent this email out in response.

As Zone Director for Zone B (Atlantic) may I offer these additional comments regarding today’s resignation of MAAC President, Mr. Ron Dodd.

In my opinion, Mr. Dodd’s summary of reasons for resigning are factual. This year, I was asked to lead an investigating committee that was requested to research formal complaints tabled by MAAC members. To determine the validity of the complaints, the committee reviewed MAAC Bylaws, Code of Ethics, Corporations Canada (Not for Profit) Act and the Quebec Civil Code. Committee investigation results, outlining perceived infringements of specific articles of MAAC Bylaws, Code of Ethics, Corporations Canada (Not for Profit) Act and Quebec Civil Code, were then forwarded to the MAAC Board of Directors for their review and action. Mr. Dodd’s summary speaks to the review and actions taken by the majority of the MAAC Board of Directors to date.
OK then

this thread has gone on for 8 pages. I have not heard one thing about what teh board and former Prez is arguing about, other than some complaints about procedure. OK procedural issues and bullying sucks, but really it does not affect me and most members. I want to know what specific political and regulatory issues were at stake which drove the board apart and. I mean was it pertaining to specific regulations for Control line? FPV? Kero jets?

I just see a lot of ad hominem verbal missiles being thrown about and zero effort to represent the members and report this openly with paying members like myself.

I still fly at a MAAC soaring field maybe a handful of days a year. Fly every other day at non MAAC flying field. Otherwise, I could live quite happily without MAAC membership. If the board is moving against my interests (esp FPV) I want to know. If they are doing good work for the kind of flying I do, then I will continue to support y'all.

Right now I don't know what to think and who to believe. Only ones I know about is Zoltan and Mark, whom I would love to see given greater roles at MAAC.

Last edited by bcsaltchucker; 12-14-2012 at 08:25 PM.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #77
tallone66
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Derrick
Radio of choice:
Futaba 8fg
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 3

I thinkk CMAA has a nice ring to it. MACC needs major housecleaning. We seen the ball get rolling this year in Zone L, but is it enough, and is is too little, too late???
This is the kind of stuff that kills organization, who wants to be part of something that does nothing but fight with each other, and is in it for self serving reasons? If people want to play politics, enter the race at local, Provincial or National levels, leave us alone.
I for one am having regrets paying dues to MACC again. Seems every other month there is some kind of drama that ticks off the community as a whole. REMEBER, these individuals are the ones that WE put in the seats, and they are there as our voice, and to act on our behalf. When they fail to do so, or go against the wishes, WE have the obligation to call them to task. The old boys club must be shaken up, or you will se more and ,ore fly without MACC, and that alone is scary.
I do hope that one of the ZD step up to the plate and let us know what is happening, as there is no doubt they are folowing this thread as well. S$%# or get off the pot, tell the members the truth.We have the right to know what happened. Remeber, WE put you there, We pay the dues, and expenses of this organization, and we have the right to know what is going on.
If MAAC tries to pull something along the lines of confidentiality, SHAME on THEM.
tallone66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #78
Tracar
RCC Apprentice

I am: Travis
Radio of choice:
ER9X
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 9
Thumbs up Re: MAAC President Resigns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuvski View Post
These kind of threads are grade "A" entertainment! Thanks guys!
But come on a little bit more arguing, I've see you guys do better for much less of a subject.
Bring out the anger and oomff haha!
What a great hobby world this is, it's all about idiotic politics and sometimes about the flying! Woot!

I truly wish MAAC will crumble, with all the "good" it is supposed to stand for this hobby there is just too much political smoke covering it up and at this point it's just all bulls%#t.
MAAC is useless to me... MAAC is useless.Period.
this should be front page material!

better yet Start a "Poll" and see what the people think regarding MAAC .

1) for it
2) against it
3) don't give a ---- about it. and want something new
Tracar is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #79
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Posts pertaining to MAAC insurance vs Private insurance were moved to a separate thread.

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=190455

Keep this thread on topic, gentlemen.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #80
heman37
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: jamie

Total Props: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
That's just what we need.. yikes! Lets have maac spend a small fortune on lawyers that'll just solve everything now won't it...

....nuts! $200 dues anyone? LMFAO Do you really want to be the guy who caused that?
screw MAAC , what do they really do for us anyways??? if it goes any higher i will be done with Maac and will fly without it , as will so many others, just keep the clubs and pic a field post signs that it is you own risk to fly , obviously dont fly in busy spots where you will hit cars , pedestrians etc. most clubs have private fields anyways and most members wont sue each other as we all know the risks of flying , which should be minimal if you have a club trainer, so i ask and i know i will be flammed for this , here is the million dollar question , What does MAAC do for us that we really need the crap that comes from it, I like to relax when i go flying dont need the politics of MAAC. sorry to be long winded and the rant.
heman37 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in