Vinyl Graphics Cutters - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 01-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #31
Carlisler
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Scott B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 10
Re: Vinyl Graphics Cutters

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Yeah, I thought I had seen 240 on the thread here, but I ended up buying it anyways from Sign Supply.

worked a deal for the Cameo, backing, squeegee, and 5 X 4 yard rolls of vinyl for my company logo and a bunch of plane stuff!.

Better than the Michael's regular price for sure.

Now I have a weekend to play with it. what I liked is the ability to take a straight .jpg and convert to be cut.

many places that I have found need an .eps file, which are more rare.
Carlisler is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 PM   #32
Carlisler
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti

So i broke this baby out today and WOW, I was surprised how FUN it was!

i will have stickers all over the place! Even made the wife one for her work (kind of as a cheap peace offering...)

I have cut down to 14 point and can't imagine going any lower as the text is so small and hard to pick that it would only be used for very specific projects and details. but it is doable, just have to be patient.

Now back to the e-Kougar project and the reason i bought this thing.

so that means, testing straight monokote (with no backing) on the cutting mat.

I guess trim sheet can be cut, so lets see if just monokote can as well.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #33
Carlisler
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti

OK.. so I had the chance to get the test out of the way and here are the results...

Using Monokote, without the backing, on the cutting mat provided with the unit, it cut fine and I was initially excited.. then I started pulling the excess monokote from the mat and it was a touch difficult, but I would consider acceptable for the purpose.

it was a bit tougher as the mat itself is VERY sticky, and when I tried to use the backing or transfer paper, the object text would not release from the mat!

So that led to an attempt with the monokote backing ON, using the cutting mat again, et voila!

it cut well (and thru the backing as well) and the removal from the mat was very easy with the mactac backing as the monokote backing took the adhesion of the mat. The only pain here is that the monokote backing has to be `picked` from the mat afterwards, which isn't too bad to do at all.

Then using the windex technique to apply the monokote in the right spot.

I was going to leave the backing on overnight, I took it off right away as I wasn't sure if there would be an issue with the stickiness of the backing and the monokote wanting to peel off. so I tried tonight and it was sensitive, but its done.

so next time I will leave the backing in place overnight, until the windex has evaporated, and as planned, hit it with a low temp iron in the morning.

we will see how it goes!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dewalt test 1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	650.3 KB
ID:	232585   Click image for larger version

Name:	dewalt test 2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	688.6 KB
ID:	232586   Click image for larger version

Name:	dewalt test 3.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	640.4 KB
ID:	232587   Click image for larger version

Name:	dewalt test 4.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	687.7 KB
ID:	232588  

Name:	dewalt test 5.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	232589   Click image for larger version

Name:	dewalt test 6.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	232590  

Old 01-28-2014, 10:46 PM   #34
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

could give a step by step instruction on how you did this. Especially settings
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #35
itizme
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve W.
Radio of choice:
notarectum

Total Props: 42

Your avatar makes all of this look like blah blah blahhhhhhh

Nice job, simple experiment. How much cash on the table for this ready to cut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisler View Post
OK.. so I had the chance to get the test out of the way and here are the results...

Using Monokote, without the backing, on the cutting mat provided with the unit, it cut fine and I was initially excited.. then I started pulling the excess monokote from the mat and it was a touch difficult, but I would consider acceptable for the purpose.

it was a bit tougher as the mat itself is VERY sticky, and when I tried to use the backing or transfer paper, the object text would not release from the mat!

So that led to an attempt with the monokote backing ON, using the cutting mat again, et voila!

it cut well (and thru the backing as well) and the removal from the mat was very easy with the mactac backing as the monokote backing took the adhesion of the mat. The only pain here is that the monokote backing has to be `picked` from the mat afterwards, which isn't too bad to do at all.

Then using the windex technique to apply the monokote in the right spot.

I was going to leave the backing on overnight, I took it off right away as I wasn't sure if there would be an issue with the stickiness of the backing and the monokote wanting to peel off. so I tried tonight and it was sensitive, but its done.

so next time I will leave the backing in place overnight, until the windex has evaporated, and as planned, hit it with a low temp iron in the morning.

we will see how it goes!
itizme is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #36
Carlisler
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by itizme View Post
Nice job, simple experiment. How much cash on the table for this ready to cut?
Hey Steve, The absolute cheapest to get going IMHO would be 295 plus tax (that is the unit and a roll of transfer paper). don't need vinyl if going to cut other stuff, and don't need a squeegee (tim card). The transfer paper (MACTAC) is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
could give a step by step instruction on how you did this. Especially settings
Hi Mike, I don't have the system set up right now, but I will get the info. it was mostly stock settings for `vinyl - silhouette brand` and with the MAT ON (or with mat) toggle checked. I believe I had 8 and 9 set for speed and pressure, and the system said to use 1 for the needle depth but used 0 as I didn't want to break anything - worked fine

Best price so far I have found is Sign Supply Canada.

I will do a quick video in the near future, tonight if I can.

S

I added a pic of the screen during printing to the Cameo. data quoted above is correct. did not set the mat holders to 13 inches tho. that is too wide. set at about 9 or so. 2nd setting from the left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 11.46.54 PM.png
Views:	141
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	232686  

Last edited by Carlisler; 01-29-2014 at 10:51 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 01-31-2014, 10:29 AM   #37
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 34

Cameo is on sale again at Michael's for $269 and supplies are 30% off.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #38
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6

Thread has become quiet the past couple of days.

I have been looking at the various threads on this cutter. You can replace the blade cartridge with a pen adapter and the cutter becomes a plotter.

I have looked and see the stated max. thickness for material is 0.8 mm. I am assuming it is the max.cutting thickness for the Cameo but could be wrong. Is this the same if you only want to draw on your material?
I was thinking it would be nice to be able to scan, size, trace and eventually draw ribs or formers directly onto balsa or ply with the Cameo.
Anyway to those who have the machine. Can you tell me the Max thickness of material that can be inserted into the Cameo if you only want to draw on it?

Chris

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #39
Carlisler
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Thread has become quiet the past couple of days.

I have been looking at the various threads on this cutter. You can replace the blade cartridge with a pen adapter and the cutter becomes a plotter.

I have looked and see the stated max. thickness for material is 0.8 mm. I am assuming it is the max.cutting thickness for the Cameo but could be wrong. Is this the same if you only want to draw on your material?
I was thinking it would be nice to be able to scan, size, trace and eventually draw ribs or formers directly onto balsa or ply with the Cameo.
Anyway to those who have the machine. Can you tell me the Max thickness of material that can be inserted into the Cameo if you only want to draw on it?

Chris
Hey Chris, I had made a video of how I cut Monokote with the plotter but in my opinion wasn't 'publishable' as I am still learning the unit, and I cut outside the Monokote sample and will have to redo it when I have some free, 'quiet' time. (ie. no kids running around screaming....)

I will look into the instructions this evening to see what actual number is mentioned for thickness limits.

This machine is great and fun, and that is a nifty idea about the plotting!

Cheers

Scott
Old 02-04-2014, 12:06 AM   #40
Tomahawk
RCC Master Contributor

I am: a Scratch Builder
Radio of choice:
JR 9503 & DX7
# of RCs: 50+

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlisler View Post
Hey Chris, I had made a video of how I cut Monokote with the plotter but in my opinion wasn't 'publishable' as I am still learning the unit, and I cut outside the Monokote sample and will have to redo it when I have some free, 'quiet' time. (ie. no kids running around screaming....)

I will look into the instructions this evening to see what actual number is mentioned for thickness limits.

This machine is great and fun, and that is a nifty idea about the plotting!

Cheers

Scott
Thanks for looking Scott.

Here are some actual world numbers I ran across for the Cameo on RC Groups. Not my work but excellent results and he posted the settings he used.
Cutting Solartex.

Chris

"Here is a photo of my Astro Hog that is still a work in progress. Had fun this morning cutting out the big name on the side, then added my AMA number to the V stab. Even used the my Silhouette Cameo cutter to make the checkerboard.

Everything you see on the Fuselage is Solartex covering. Spent a few minutes figuring out the settings for the Cameo machine but once I did, it cut Solartex perfectly.

In case anyone is wondering, I used a Silhouette Cameo, with a light tacky cutting mat, Placed the Solartex with backing on the cutting mat, set the speed to 4, thickness to 4, and blade depth on 2."
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013-11-23 14.42.42.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	233510  

If you want awesome, you have to scratch build it!
Tomahawk is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in