BarryP-51
RCC Apprentice

I am: Barry Rudd
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: -2
Re: Prop explosion

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just sanded off material. As I do with every prop. Not sure how this all happened.
BarryP-51 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
Flypaper
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Gord C

Total Props: 8

Could you see any white stress marks on the hub where the blades were attached? A buddy bad a blade depart on an electric Twist 150. Took the firewall off the front taking all the wiring including the batts out of it. Got tail heavy real quick Checking things out afterwards, the blade that was still on the motor had white stress marks about an inch out from the hub, ready to go too. I checked the APC 13-6 prop on my Twist 40 and both blades had the white stress marks. I promptly went to a 13-6 gas/glow prop with the heavier hubs. I think the 3D gyrations are very hard on the props.
Flypaper is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #13
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116

Has to be something to do with the grain and maybe a tempreture factor outside.
Do you know what wood was used and how cold was it outside?
Very strange for sure.

Bill

Old 12-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

If it was an MA prop it would have been plastic. I have run MA props in all seasons with no problems. Having said that I tell myself this is a hobby and generally refrain from suffering too much when going flying. My Saitos also do not like to turn over when excessively cold anyway.

I've read posts of the APC props coming apart from stress bolted to 4-strokes and I refuse to use them for that app. However, this is the first instance I know of it happening with MA.

If you have any remains other than the hub I would document whatever you can and contact MA about sending the remains back to them. If there is a safety issue lurking hidden we all may benefit from what is found. Due to liability they may not admit to a flaw, but it would hopefully press for a fix.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
Xanadu
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
JR, DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

I remember one time where I mounted an APC prop on a prop saver to my hand launch P-51 foamie. The second I hit the throttle(about 1/2 +), the prop immediately tore itself from the prop saver. I heard it hit the ground, so looked down and there it was IMPALED into the ground almost 1/4 the length of the 9x6 prop!
Just missing my foot by 3 inches...........whew....
Never used an APC prop on a prop saver again, they just pulled too muvh torque for the o-ring.
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #16

Total Props: 57

I haven't used a M/A prop in probably 15 years so I can't comment on their current quality, but the reason I stopped using them was countless failures on many club members aircraft over the years. The ONLY props that were worse back then were the white nylon props (can't remember who made them, maybe graupner?)
I saw everything from small 8" diameter M/A props right up to the (then really big) 15" props come apart.
The truth of the matter back then also, was that the black M/A props were so inneficient that we were happy to switch anyway. I never had an APC prop come apart on me, even on the big YS 4 strokes, not to say it can't happen, just never did to me.
As mentioned, I don't know if M/A quality has improved over the years, but I've stayed away from them for a long time and I just can't see myself ever going back to them.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
Arn
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Arn H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Quote:
The ONLY props that were worse back then were the white nylon props (can't remember who made them, maybe graupner?)

I remember those .... from back in the late 80's, actually found one in the bottom of my prop box ..... the hub has a moulded MK above what looks like the "Nike" check mark .... no idea who made it ....

Oh did I say that I'm a chronic sufferer of "Pack-rat-itis"
Old 12-12-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
paulbipe
RCC Contributor

I am: Paul P
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 2

I was on the Master Air Screw website and they state: "Maximum recommended RPM for Master Airscrew propellers is 165,000 divided by diameter in inches" that statement is here:http://masterairscrew.com/manualinst...tructions2.pdf. so at 6000rpm you were in the safe limit at the time.

There is a similar statement on the APC site as well. Thought it was interesting. glad that you didn't get your eye damaged. I had a wooden prop (18") break on me due to a blade/earth strike and I found the broken blade at the end of the runway a couple of hundred feet away. They do fly a long distance....hence the MAAC safety rule about getting people out of the prop arc when starting an engine.

Paul
paulbipe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #19
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

I have been running MA props for over 25 years and the only time they have come apart was with a ground strike or when the airplane was following them much deeper into it, (what I call a "Goat"). Nor can I recall any instances of other flyers having a failure. There may have been, but I would expect some prior damage was the culprit.

My only complaint is the work required on their new props to sand off the mold flash, (very sharp) and balancing.

I too remember those white plastic props. Don't know the maker, but also remember they were so flexible you could practically tie them in knots. Never personally used them, but can't imagine they were very efficient. I just recently acquired a few Graupner props and can't wait to see how they perform.

Your reference to the MAAC warning was a good one. I just wish it were enforced more as I see far too many instances of operators or spectators well within the danger zone. There is ABSOLUTELY no reason to lean over top or stand directly in front of the plane when above idle and I cringe at the number of videos posted online taken from that perspective or showing others there.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #20
Kargon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Karl Goinarov

Total Props: 41

The white nylon props that you could tie in a knot were Top Flite, I still have one or two, kept as souvenirs of the 1980's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in