Gearing for larger tires? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nitro, Gas, Lipo chat (RC Car & Truck) All things related to Nitro, Electric & Gas motors... Tuning, experiences, setups and more.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
Dadic 78
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Gearing for larger tires?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey everyone, new to the site. Nice to see such an awesome resource for R/C enthusiasts here, in Canada.

Anyway, my question is this: I'm currently running an OFNA Ultra LX Comp. .26 -- Stock, it comes with a 14T Bell gear, but I'm currently running a 17T. I just bought some big tires/wheels (T-Maxx tires to be exact) With a larger diameter tire, the buggy looks awesome, but eats up fuel, and has no low-end power. What size clutch bell should I run? 13T? And should I be making any mods to my clutch shoes/and/or springs?

I just use the large tires for extreme bashing. Keep the stock, smaller tires for usual day-to-day bashing.

Thanks!
Dadic 78 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:05 AM   #2

Total Props: 57
your buggy was not designed to run such a heavy tire, steering, suspension and the drive train can not cope with the abuse, you are going to prematurely wear the buggy. Maybe you should look in a monster truck, and yes due to the different gear ration and added weight you clutch will be the first to "complain", fallowed be the steering servo and you might actually snap an axle or destroy a diff....
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Dadic 78
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Destroying diff's, and snapping axle's is what it's all about, isn't it? I'm honestly not too concerned about breaking parts. With big tires, it'll happen with my LX Comp, or any monster truck I buy. Big tires = broken axles.

I'll run a 13T and see how she goes.
Dadic 78 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in