Recommended 4 Stroke - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
dutchy

Total Props: 0
Recommended 4 Stroke

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello all, I'm new to the forum so bear with me. I am wanting to put a four stroke in my 4 star 60. I don't have any previous experience with four strokes and am wondering which are the better makes. My local hobby shop carries a saito 4 stroke. Thanks for any advice.
dutchy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:40 AM   #2
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 59
Dutchy,

Welcome aboard RC Canada... you will find you will be spending quite a bit of time here on this site as it is packed full of some great info and great guys and gals involved in RC in Canada, the US and even Australia.

Now for your question. for the 4*60 you can use several 4 strokes. What is your flying experience? Are you looking for a gentle flier or a hot dog machine? Engine choice ranges from the Saito .82 which will fly this plane just fine up to a Saito 100 which would just make this an insane plane!

I am an Enya man myself but unfortunately Enya's current production does not include a size that would be useful to you. I would say the Saito .91 would probably give you the best bang for your buck with this airplane. But as you will find out you may get some other opinions.

Where are you located? Can the hobby shop recommend an engine?

Once again welcome aboard.
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Windy you ask? I have Whitecaps on my Coffee, YOU be the Judge!
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Hi

Here are the specs from the SIG web site.

FOUR-STAR 60
Recommended Engines:
.60-.75 in³ (10.0 - 12.3 cm³) 2-Stroke Glow
.65-.90 in³ (10.7 - 14.8 cm³) 4-Stroke Glow
Wingspan: 71 in (1803 mm)
Wing Area: 920 in² (60.3 dm²)
Weight: 7 - 8 lbs (3175 - 3630 g)
Length: 57 in (1448 mm)
Radio Required: 4-Channel with 5 servos

As scaleguy pointed out, it depends on how you want to fly it.

Cheers
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-12-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Donovan R

Morning Dutchy

I have the kit and plan to put a 4-stroke OS .70 in it. But being retired I just can't find the time to get on with it.
{:>)

cheers
don dow
Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:22 PM   #5
wingnut
RCC Contributor

I am: wiliam m

Total Props: 1
Hi Dutch:
We have quite a few 4*s in our club all but one have 4stroke motors.
Here's a list 3 with91OS , 1 with 91Saito, 1 with 91 Magnum,and my old one had an ASP 80 4C.
This is one of the most forgiving and fun airplanes you can find.I think that a Saito 100 would be a lot of fun in one. As you can see 4strokes in the 80-90 range would be good depending on how wild you want to get.I hope this has helped.And if Jim were an Enya guy why did he sell the Enya 120 that I sold him
Cheers: Bill
Old 01-12-2006, 05:29 PM   #6
dutchy

Thank you for the warm welcome. I've been flying for 3 seasons now, I currently fly a goldberg super chipmunk that I do aerobatics with, so I classify myself as intermediate. The local hobby shop I deal with is AVF in London and the last time I was in there they had the saito 100, just starting to build the 4 star 60 so I thought I would do my research now. I would like to have a bit of power in reserve when I need it for certain manuvers. Like I said I only have 2 stroke engines right now, no 4 stroke experience. I have had good luck with thunder tiger, os, and super tiger. I would like to know the pros and cons of the different makes and sizes of 4 strokes.
dutchy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:53 PM   #7
Donkey Doctor

Hello; I have an old OS 90 four stroke in my four star sixty 14 x 6, I'm happy with it, I have seen others with a surpass 91, and a few with Saito 80's and 91's. I haven't seen one with a Saitro 100yet, but I bet that it would be great. I have a Saito 100 in my Funtana, and of the many Saito's I have, I think it is my favorite. It sems to me that I needed the extra weight of the OS, and the Saito 100 is lighter then the 91. I use the Dubro anti-vibe mount, and have everything pushed forward. I love stooging around just above stall, flat figure 8's, or chasing other guys, and duplicating them. I think if I had a 100 in mine, I wouldn't get it much above idle most of the time, but then, with a huge prop like a 16 x 4W, it would be fun.
Donkey Doctor is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:03 AM   #8
Ken Currell

Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo

Hi

Regardless of which engine you choose for a plane like the 4*60 the larger diameter prop that a 4 stroke uses does make a difference.

Cheers
Old 01-15-2006, 10:23 AM   #9
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

I have had a lot of different engines in mine Big, small, 2 stroke, and 4 stroke, OS and Saito...my favourite, and the one that got to stay in it, is the OS 70. The bigger engines have 2 or 3 disadvantages...at idle with the bigger props, they create a lot of residual thrust which makes it difficult to slow them down for landing..it will almost fly on forever in ground effect at idle.
Secondly, it is still a draggy aiplane and it is almost a waste of a good engine to over power it. You don't get any more speed, but you do get to reckon with a lot of torque that, under some circumstances, really degrades the flying characteristics - usually at the wrong time...and thirdly is fuel consumption. Even at part throttle a 91 is thirsty. So you have to either settle for shorter flights, or put a bigger tank in, which means packing more weight up in the nose for the first half of the flight.

I am guilty as the next guy with overpowering my models, but this was one that I found that less is better....

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:06 AM   #10
Ken Currell

Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo

Nony is right on the money

That same combo works real good on the Sig Astro Hog.

Especially with a 3 bladede prop on it!

Cheers
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in