Taking quality pictures - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Nostalgia - Old Timer Aircraft Everything about the good old days of RC!

Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #21
williame3590
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: William A
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 116
Re: Taking quality pictures

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Sweet Frank, may have to spring for one as well. Pretty cheap considering all you received.
Your doing a great job with it all.

Does this mean the McCoy is going up for sale???

Bill
ps. notice how I buttered you up before asking the big question...LOL

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #22
g1975a
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Greg E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7|DX3R
# of RCs: ~10

Total Props: 15

Here's a little bit on white balance: http://www.lowel.com/edu/color_tempe...mystified.html

I believe those are halogen lights in that kit (I have a similar one) so since the colour temperature is close to that of a normal incandescent (tungsten) light bulb, you should be able to add in another light to brighten up the background. I like the cheap clip-on lamps like THIS ONE or THIS ONE when I'm using constant lighting for smaller subjects.

Frank, a bit more experimenting and you'll be a top-notch product photographer.

Last edited by g1975a; 01-30-2013 at 12:11 PM.
g1975a is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #23
g1975a
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Greg E.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX7|DX3R
# of RCs: ~10

Total Props: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Sweet Frank, may have to spring for one as well. Pretty cheap considering all you received.
The shipping's the killer part. I found this similar one on Amazon for around $65 shipped from the GTA:
Light tent kit Light tent kit

Bill, if you ever need to borrow one, let me know as mine doesn't get a lot of use.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #24
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 49

I was not impressed with the first few pics I took. So, I folded the top lid back and allowed light from my overhead neon light to shine inside and it made an improvement. I'll pick up some clip lights too and try it.
MECA 4762
Thank a farmer
My Website, https://frankshangar.com/
My YouTube channels,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m...ZDhGp4w/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-k...8MphsMZuVfwqJw
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
papatango
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Patrick T

Total Props: 1
Smile Re: Taking quality pictures

Firstly, good for you for improving the quality of your photography; it really makes a difference when you're reading a build, ad, or article, when it's got great, clear photos.

I won't get in to my lighting background, but try these few tips and you may get some better results:

1)Start from scratch. Take your lighting and place it to the side. Place your background further back(2-3') and zoom in your camera. This will put the wrinkles out of focus, once you've recomposed on your subject. You may need to move your camera away from the subject.

2) Start with your key, or main, light. Put one of your diffusion panels as close to your object as possible, without getting it in shot. Slightly ahead of it, to one side, and angled 45 or so to the subject. this will be the "source". Then point one of your lights through it, filling as much of the panel as possible. This will provide soft, relatively even but sculpted lighting to your object. Move the panel around until the main light has the most desirable effect.

3) Next, ad your fill light(which does not have to be a light at all). A piece of white foamcore, or better, white styro beadboard, opposite your "key" light, will fill in the shadows, giving them detail. This is generally opposite the Source or Key light, and is meant to reduce the contrast ratio between light and shadow. Too much fill and the lighting will look flat and boring. To little fill, and the the effect will be to dramatic. Eg; a technical manual will use flat, broad lighting, where a theatre production will use dramatic, contrasty lighting, to convey visual effects.

4) You should still have a spare light from the kit(2?). If the background is translucent, place the background light behind the fabric, and open it wide. Alternatively, if the background is opaque, place the light in front, and try using the doors on the light to control and shape it, so you get a decently lit background, in relation to the subject.

Make sure your camera is on manual, if possible.

Set the Aperature to F8-F16; this will give you good depth of field, ensuring that the object is in focus, and the wrinkly background is not.

Adjust the shutter speed until you get the desired exposure on the subject. if the camera automatically adjust the subject too much, simply use the "exposure compensation" feature to get the desired level.

You can then fiddle with the background lighting till the ratio of subject to background is to your liking.

Don't use direct lighting on shiny objects, unless you're trying to reveal cracks, dirt, flaws etc. Its very harsh. Bouncing or diffusing the light is much friendlier to glossy surfaces.

Make sure you're using the same types of light; tungsten/halogen is warm, daylight is quite cold(blue), and flouros can be greenish or magenta, depending on the type.(your camera should have a setting for the type of lighting, under it's white balance menu).

If you need a little more detail in any area of your final photo(inside engine cylinder, carb detail, etc), try this: Take a flashlight, diffuse the lense with a small bit of tissue or crinkled acetate. and roll some dark, opaque paper into a short 4-6" long tube. Tape the tube over the end, and shine it at the problem spot. Pinch or modify the end of the tube until the desired amount of lighting is achieved.

Have fun, and feel free to ask if you need any help. RC photography is fun and rewarding, a lot more so than trying to make a slab of ground chuck look like it was crapped out by the God of 1/4 pounders, or making the sun shine on a cloudy day......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4079.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	188477   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0265.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	188478  

Last edited by papatango; 01-30-2013 at 03:57 PM.
papatango is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:29 PM   #26
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Your doing a great job with it all.

Does this mean the McCoy is going up for sale???

Bill
ps. notice how I buttered you up before asking the big question...LOL
Bill
I just used the McCoy 49 for eye candy. It's on of my favorites. I've also got big brother 60 although not as pretty. Needs a good cleaning first.
MECA 4762
Thank a farmer
My Website, https://frankshangar.com/
My YouTube channels,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7m...ZDhGp4w/videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-k...8MphsMZuVfwqJw
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:59 PM   #27
johnav8r
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: John C- MAAC 5526
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 1

Frank, pictures look great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in