One way to counter 'stupid' piloting. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
FPV First Person View RC flying.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:46 PM   #1
rcav8r71
RCC Contributor

I am: Jon F
Radio of choice:
Any that work, and they all work
# of RCs: 99+

Total Props: 11
One way to counter 'stupid' piloting.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Finally, it seems that someone is going to use technology in an effort to combat stupidity.

Maker of Drone That Crashed on White House Grounds to Stop Flights Over D.C.
Kurtis Lee On Jan 29, 2015
Source: Los Angeles Times

Jan. 28--The manufacturer of the drone that crashed on the White House grounds earlier this week plans to install software in its devices that would prevent them from flying in Washington.

DJI, the China-based company that manufactures the quad-copter found at the White House, will install software in the coming weeks that will disable several models of its drones from flying over a 15.5-mile radius that spans downtown Washington, it said in a statement.

The restriction is part of a planned extension of the company's no-fly zone system that prohibits flight near airports and other locations where such flights are restricted by local authorities, the company said in a statement released Wednesday.

"With the unmanned aerial systems community growing on a daily basis, we feel it is important to provide pilots additional tools to help them fly safely and responsibly," said Michael Perry, DJI's company spokesperson. "We will continue cooperating with regulators and lawmakers to ensure the skies stay safe and open for innovation."

Perry said based on a photo provided by the Secret Service, it appears the White House drone was a DJI Phantom.

The drone, which the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency told the Associated Press was flown recreationally by one of their employees, was discovered by Secret Service officials early Monday morning. That employee voluntarily reached out to the Secret Service and has fully cooperated in the investigation, said agency officials.

President Obama and the first lady were in India on Monday, and their daughters were in Washington. White House officials have said that the incident posed no threat to the president or his family.

The Federal Aviation Administration has banned the use of commercial drones, though the agency is drafting proposed rules at the behest of Congress. However, a small number of companies -- such as the film companies Aerial Mob and HeliVideo Productions -- do have FAA exemptions to use drones.

Follow @kurtisalee and email kurtis.lee@latimes.com
rcav8r71 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24
Re: One way to counter 'stupid' piloting.

like this news.

DJI has installed no-fly zones into their software for a year or two now. The Chinese government compelled it (Dji company are chinese) and I think they already put in world airport no fly zones already. Just not Capital Hill yet.

However you can't stop a quad flying there if it has no GPS. Many DJI-equipped multicopters don't have GPS.

Last edited by bcsaltchucker; 01-30-2015 at 08:23 PM.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Niteowl
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Martin
Radio of choice:
9XR PRO,FrSky, BLOS LONG RANGE systems.

Total Props: 1

This is the only way to fight stupid I think.
Niteowl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24

I sound like broken record, but I hope the tech continues to miniaturize. Then when a 100g or less copter can do everything a Phantom can do (this is very close to possible now, and already there are copters better than Phantom at half its weight)) they can outlaw selling RTF Phantom-like quads. So the public can have their aerial video machines and not be a threat to anyone or anything's health, and also be less annoying in general. For myself I will not fly over 300mm multicopter, and planning to focus on under 200mm copters in the coming year.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Tags
fpv , uav , quadcopter , multicopter , DJI , drone , drones , airspace , idiots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in