Problem with peeling Mono/Ultrakote OFF!!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Robert
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Problem with peeling Mono/Ultrakote OFF!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi,

I just recently got Sig Kouger, its covered in black monokote or ultrakote. I am trying to peel the covering off so i could check structure under the covering but this is where problem is happening! , i can peel off top plastic film but colored black film is sticking hard at most of the surface of the wing!, this black film is also very sticky and is not peeling off from the wood underneith. Its like if covering is baked on the model.
I have tried using Gunk but nothing is happening to black film, another friend tried to use Auto paint remover spray and it melts the film and can be scraped off but its leaving lots of black residue on the wood...I want to use chrome covering on most part of the airfrrame with red,white and blue stripes and ends.....Did any of you guys had this problem before and how did you rectified it...

Sammy

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:14 AM   #2
Joey-snaproll
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Joe M

Total Props: 4
mono/ulra off

I Did the same thing with a mustang,After a few pulls of covering and leaving the color behind I thought What did I do? Take a covering gun and heat the covering before you pull at it and keep the heat on the covering where your pulling up, will come off very easy.You will get some color left behind in little spots ,you'll have to sand it or try light scraping try it with heat .Hope you haven,t pulled off all the covering with out heat to loosen the glue? good luck.

Joe
Joey-snaproll is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:31 AM   #3
Canhos
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Mike Gyger

Acetone works well to remove the residual adhesive. It may leave a stain though (black dyed wood). If it were me, I'd first use heat as prevviously mentioned, then clean up with acetone, then lightly paint the structure if you're worried about a consistant background. Maybe a coat of balsarite, sanded, before I painted. Then cover.

Mike
Canhos is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-26-2005, 05:13 AM   #4
DP01
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Dennis P

Total Props: 3
It may not be a good idea to use acetone on the wing. If any should infiltrate the balsa skin, the foam core will melt in the area. Not a pretty result!

Dennis
Old 10-26-2005, 10:42 AM   #5
ridergary
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Gary A.
Radio of choice:
JR
# of RCs: 40

The covering on your plane is probably not Monokote and it's definately not Ultracote. The reason is, that these coverings have the color in the plastic film and not in the adhesive. It's likely the cheaper coverings like Solarfilm or Econocote that have the color in the adhesive and the plastic film is just clear, so when you remove these, the colored adhesive remains and the plastic pulls away. It is very hard to get off the wood, but a little heat will help when removing it, but you won't get it all....Gary
ridergary is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:27 AM   #6
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Well then i'll try heat gun in this case and see what happens, honestly i havs pulled most of the clear plastic film off from the wing but i havent touchd the fuse as yet so let see what happens....i have spend hrs of this wing already and hope that wont be the case on fuselage, Gary sounds that you are right on type of covering used on this model, i will ask original owner of this models and see if he remember the covering he used on this model....

I'll let you guys know about the progress on this problem...

Cheers,
Sammy
Old 10-26-2005, 11:35 AM   #7
Spoon

try using bic lighter in a small area but dont get the wood too hot just the covering and most of all be carefull
Spoon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:21 PM   #8
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Here is the problem

Hi,

This what i am facing...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7378_208.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	12000  
Old 10-26-2005, 02:23 PM   #9
Concordefan
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Pic 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7380_134.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	12001  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in