How do I remove the sleeve and piston from a 46 fx ??? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #1
Gabe
RCC Apprentice

I am: Gabe

Total Props: 0
How do I remove the sleeve and piston from a 46 fx ???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
this engine is about 10 years old , was never taken apart before and used allot every year .... I don't what to do something I am not suppose to do ........ How does it come apart... I have the head and the back plate off....Thanks Gabe.........
Gabe is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
kersplat
RCC Contributor

P&S

Heat the crank case to about 200 degrees and hold it with a pair of leather gloves. Then push out the sleeve with a 1/4 in hardwood dowel.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:21 PM   #3
moo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
Turborix
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 27
Plant it in the dirt full throttle from about fifty feet up?

Wash it in a slow cooker and antifreeze.

WD-40 helps too.

I like Bryce Industries DS-108 wipe solvent (use it as a soak). If you can get some.
905 678 1548

Old 08-07-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
junior flyer
RCC Apprentice

I am: t a

In a recent Model Airplane News, it shows how to take an engine apart. To take out the sleeve, put the piston down and put the glow plug washer between the piston and sticking out a little ways into the exhaust port. Then turn the engine through compression and the sleeve should come out. To get the piston out, you must have it at top dead center and then pull the crankshaft forward as far as possible and it should just come off. Seeing as yours is older, these suggestions may not work. Be careful when getting the sleeve out and if it doesn't budge don't force it or you'll ruin piston or sleeve.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
kersplat
RCC Contributor

P&S removal

I answer to Junior Flyer: Your reply only applies to an engine with an iron piston an steel sleeve. If you try this to an ABC, ABN or ringed engine, you will damage the piston. Especially a ringed engine, the glow plug washer will cause the upper and lower ring lands to crush and pinch the ring.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #6
junior flyer
RCC Apprentice

I am: t a

Thanks for sharing that information. I knew it worked on some engines and not others. Now I know for sure. Thank you very much.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Vulcan1
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Davidson
Radio of choice:
EVO(12), Futaba
# of RCs: ?

If you are having trouble getting the sleeve out this is what I do. I use a popsicle stick in the exhaust port and rotate the crankshaft with the piston to push it out. Put a prop on in it so you have a bit of leverage. If really stuck I then get out the wife's oven mitts and heat the case around the outside of the sleeve with a small torch. You don't need to have a melt down but you need it uncomfortable to grab it with your bare hand's. Then retry.
Do not use anything metal on the sleeve as it will mark it. I use the popsicle stick as it is fairly hard wood and flat for a better engagement. If you still have problems let us know.
John
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in