Cheap source of methyl hydrate?? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
valhalla
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Paul J

Total Props: 1
Cheap source of methyl hydrate??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm trying to find a reasonably cheap source from which to purchase straight methyl hydrate (methanol) so I can mix my own FAI fuel. Local hardware stores are charging $10.00 a gallon. I've seen mention of guys in the US paying $2.00 to $3.00 a gallon. Any ideas?
valhalla is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
eduardo
RCC Contributor

I am: Eduardo Galiano

Total Props: 0
Sir: I think there's a problem here. You seem to imply that Methyl Hydrate and Methyl Alcohol (i.e. the real Methanol) are one and the same. They most certainly are not! Methyl Hydrate is used as antifreeze, as a fuel for camp stoves, and as a solvent for shellac. Methyl hydrate also has applications with acrylic paints and inks. It will loosen dried acrylic paint, though it does not dissolve it back into a workable medium. But most importantly, it is NOT Methyl Alcohol. Please don't destroy your valuable engines by confusing the two. Regards,

Eduardo
eduardo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo
Sir: I think there's a problem here. You seem to imply that Methyl Hydrate and Methyl Alcohol (i.e. the real Methanol) are one and the same. They most certainly are not! Methyl Hydrate is used as antifreeze, as a fuel for camp stoves, and as a solvent for shellac. Methyl hydrate also has applications with acrylic paints and inks. It will loosen dried acrylic paint, though it does not dissolve it back into a workable medium. But most importantly, it is NOT Methyl Alcohol. Please don't destroy your valuable engines by confusing the two. Regards,

Eduardo
Not according to this web site!

http://ptcl.chem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/ME/methyl_alcohol.html

Perhaps you could elaborate on your statement?
They seem to be the same thing.
Is the chemical formula different?

Cheers
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-12-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
eduardo
RCC Contributor

Didn't quite want to get into it, but I welcome the opportunity to do so. They have the same MOLECULAR formula CH3OH but different structural formulas, an example of something called "isomers". I'm attaching the molecular formulas of both, clearly they are different. Don't know how they will come out in my attachments.

Eduardo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	methanol_438.gif
Views:	1171
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	15167  
Old 03-12-2006, 11:38 PM   #5
dwv

Here is a simplified explanation.
Methyl Hydrate is an alchohol derived from wood, and is generally used as gas line antifreeze, or when mixed with a small amount of oil, is rubbing alchohol. Methanol is derived from grain (usually corn) and is used as a high octane fuel (dragsters and funny cars)
So if you want to mix your own fuel, be sure to specify that you want Methanol.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:49 PM   #6
eduardo
RCC Contributor

We need to be careful. The alcohol derived from the fermentation and distillation of grains such as corn is called ETHANOL, it is not, I repeat, it is not, METHANOL. Ethanol, also known as ethyl alcohol or grain alcohol, is a flammable, colorless chemical compound, one of the alcohols that is most often found in alcoholic beverages. Its chemical formula is C2H5OH. In fact, t is Methyl Alcohol, or Methanol, which is derived from wood.

Eduardo
Old 03-13-2006, 01:05 AM   #7

Total Props: 57
anyone got a match?????
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:41 AM   #8
dwv

I stand corrected, your right eduardo.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:51 AM   #9
Ed Smith

So, molecular structure aside, what harm will the "Wrong" one do to the engine? It all catches fire, or does it?

Ed S
Old 03-13-2006, 06:17 AM   #10
valhalla
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Paul J

Total Props: 1
I've checked many sites and all seem to treat the two (methyl hydrate and methanol) as the same. Plus, fliers in the US have reported using methyl hydrate with no mention of problems of any sort.

What are your warnings based upon, any real world experience?

Eduardo, please describe how using methyl hydrate is going to "destroy my valuable engines"

OK, does anyone know of a cheap source of methanol??
valhalla is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in