The never ending engine thread, East-West - Page 927 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Large Engines Discuss Engines Used on Giant Scale Aircraft. Gas/Glow, as long as they're big!

Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #9261
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 62
Re: The never ending engine thread, East-West

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Dale... I'm not saying issues are user induced!!... I was just pointing out that I have had a very lucky go of it. So for me, performance and smoothness is paramount.

Others have had bad luck with certain brands and won't buy from them again. Anything is fair game with me!!
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:56 AM   #9262
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

Brent, based on your experience as an Arbor. How many drums of fuel would a commercial saw be expected to burn.
I have one G62 which has well over 45 gallons of fuel through it. Runs great. If all my engine give service like that. They will all out live me.

How about we translate that to cost/hour.
At 10 cents an hour, a $700 engine can retire after 7000 hrs of service. I'd be happy with that.

-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #9263
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Brent S
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12

Unlike chainsaws, few RC plane engines run air filters. With saws there are 2 things that will happen over time, one is directly related to, and the other is indirectly related to the air induction method.

The first thing that a lot of arborist see (and this is the indirect issue) is that bearing seals fail. A minor failure will be indicated by poor or not starting. The other issue (direct relationship) is that the filter fails to do an adequate job, and contaminants enter causing wear. The result being low compression .....

Believe it or not marketing of professional grade chain saws in done on the air filtration battlefield! I've bought 3 different breeds of "Pro" grade saws over the course of my career in the trees. I would say they are all created pretty equally, as far as internal components are concerned. As they are "Tools" of the trade I've weighted what is important in my operation. Serviceability and overall weight are the two most important to me. If you need a whack load of tools to take the air filter out.... servicing suffers.

Cycles to failure is a term every decent Arborist uses. A rope is a good example, it literally is your life line. A saw that won't start with a couple pulls can be a frustrating and dangerous thing when your hangin' upside down 90 feet in the air.....

I have a top handled trimming saw that I bought the second year in the game. As they don't have a timer on 'em, and all the saws run on gas/oil from the same can, gettin' a handle on how much time is on 'em is impossible. I would guess it likely has had well over a hundred gallons through it. We worked from -20 to +30 and always started the damn things on the ground to check operation (Intertia function and chain brake) before getting vertical. It was serviced after every job, monkeying with tuning took place about three times in it useful life.

It now officially worn out. If you hold the saw up by the handle and the pull start rope and let go of the handle and it falls to the end of the rope with almost no resistance, its wore out!!!!

Toy plane engines are lucky, they seldom run in $hitty weather or clouds of dust and dirt. They should run forever.... but like Dale says, failure is apt to be induced by operator interference!!!!

To date every new gas engine I've bought has run great right out of the box. Every used gasser has left me disappointed...

Edit: BTW when asked what is the best chainsaw out there, my reply is always the same "one that someone else is using"!
Eye Can Fly is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #9264
Dale Hunter
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dale Hunter
Radio of choice:
a 12 X in each hand !

Total Props: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye Can Fly View Post
Unlike chainsaws, few RC plane engines run air filters. With saws there are 2 things that will happen over time, one is directly related to, and the other is indirectly related to the air induction method.

The first thing that a lot of arborist see (and this is the indirect issue) is that bearing seals fail. A minor failure will be indicated by poor or not starting. The other issue (direct relationship) is that the filter fails to do an adequate job, and contaminants enter causing wear. The result being low compression .....

Believe it or not marketing of professional grade chain saws in done on the air filtration battlefield! I've bought 3 different breeds of "Pro" grade saws over the course of my career in the trees. I would say they are all created pretty equally, as far as internal components are concerned. As they are "Tools" of the trade I've weighted what is important in my operation. Serviceability and overall weight are the two most important to me. If you need a whack load of tools to take the air filter out.... servicing suffers.

Cycles to failure is a term every decent Arborist uses. A rope is a good example, it literally is your life line. A saw that won't start with a couple pulls can be a frustrating and dangerous thing when your hangin' upside down 90 feet in the air.....

I have a top handled trimming saw that I bought the second year in the game. As they don't have a timer on 'em, and all the saws run on gas/oil from the same can, gettin' a handle on how much time is on 'em is impossible. I would guess it likely has had well over a hundred gallons through it. We worked from -20 to +30 and always started the damn things on the ground to check operation (Intertia function and chain brake) before getting vertical. It was serviced after every job, monkeying with tuning took place about three times in it useful life.

It now officially worn out. If you hold the saw up by the handle and the pull start rope and let go of the handle and it falls to the end of the rope with almost no resistance, its wore out!!!!

Toy plane engines are lucky, they seldom run in $hitty weather or clouds of dust and dirt. They should run forever.... but like Dale says, failure is apt to be induced by operator interference!!!!

To date every new gas engine I've bought has run great right out of the box. Every used gasser has left me disappointed...

Edit: BTW when asked what is the best chainsaw out there, my reply is always the same "one that someone else is using"!
Good answer. On a serious note, as well.
I was out in the drive/road. Connecting up the cargo trailer out of the yard-bus. Thinking of what I might read once back in here. One thought, these are part of my entertainment dollars. If it is bringing me joy. At a comfortable, or negligible cost. All part of the price of fun. Much like your serviceability Brent. Small effort in, big joy out. (In the perfect world).

-Dale-

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Dale Hunter is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #9265
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

LOL Yup Tools so we can buy toys!!!!

Probably the worst 2 stroke I ever had was a Polaris 650. The stock muffler had been replaced with triple tuned pipes. Seemed to like to cook the center piston.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #9266
bjon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brad J
Radio of choice:
Jr 9503

Total Props: 2

LOL I like this!!! That's exactly how I felt about a grain shovel in my years of farming!!!
bjon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:13 AM   #9267
Eye Can Fly
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16

Brad ya got ta get better at hiddin' the goon spoons!!!!!

Mine are so well hidden that if I ever need one I have to go out and buy another one.... could be interesting when it comes time for an auction sale!

Edit: A #10 Blackcat shovel teaches ya the real meaning of "Sweat Equity"!!!

Last edited by Eye Can Fly; 05-03-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:50 AM   #9268
bjon
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Brad J
Radio of choice:
Jr 9503

Total Props: 2

Yup for sure .. there is a no better traction tool for when the super b gets stuck!!! Some people use it to throw sand or gravel under the drivers, I felt it was much better to just chuck the shovel under!!
bjon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:25 PM   #9269
TBrum
BBT
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
Jeti

Total Props: 62

Jack!!!! What's the update?? How did the big Suhk maiden go???
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:29 PM   #9270
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Lorne L

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBrum View Post
Jack!!!! What's the update?? How did the big Suhk maiden go???
Hope jack has video. Looking forward to seeing that big bird fly. Jack put a lot of work into it
Lorne @ Pro-RC.ca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in