Celebrating the centennial of flight in Canada? Guelph indoor fun fly - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Events Discuss your local events, events attended, etc...

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
j3_av8r
RCC Contributor

I am: Andy S

Total Props: 3
Celebrating the centennial of flight in Canada? Guelph indoor fun fly

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
As many of you are aware, this Monday Feb 23rd will be the 100th aniversary of powered flight in Canada. I understand that Baddeck NS is planning an event that will hopefully include a re-enactment of the flight by a full size replica just completed in Welland ON. See http://www.silverdartreplica.com/index.html for updates.

For those of you in southern Ontario, I am coordinating an indoor fun fly in Guelph on the the anniversary (Monday Feb 23rd) from noon til 3. I am hoping to get 20+ flyers at $15 each to cover the rental cost of the indoor soccer dome. Let me know if you can make it! There will be pilot prizes!

As part of the event I am hoping to also re-enact the first flight. I presently have a 24.5" span Silver Dart under construction based upon the Trillium Balsa display model (http://trilliumbalsa.com/silverdart2.html). A HobbyZone Vapor RX/ESC/Servo brick will control it. With a bit of luck it will come in around 1.5 oz. Gotta love the new micro R/C products available.

I will leave you with this thought from Alexander Graham Bell who was part of the team that developed the Silver Dart...

"This may seem to be a small matter at the present moment, but, when flying machines have become common, and aerial locomotion a well-organized and established mode of transit, the origin of the art in Canada will become a matter of great historical interest..."
Attached Files
File Type: pdf centennial ad small.pdf (116.6 KB, 161 views)

Last edited by j3_av8r; 02-01-2009 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Let people know there is a fun fly associated
j3_av8r is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Ken Currell

I am: Ken Currell
Radio of choice:
Multiplex Royal Evo
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 0
Re: Celebrating the centennial of flight in Canada?

Good info.

Wish I could be at Baddeck when it happens.
Ken Currell is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
j3_av8r
RCC Contributor

Smile Re: Celebrating the centennial of flight in Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Currell View Post
Good info.

Wish I could be at Baddeck when it happens.
Once upon a time, I was planning to build a large Silver Dart model and head out to Nova Scotia for the celebration but then reality set in. A local indoor fun fly with guarenteed perfect (and warm) weather seems much more practical!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
ronnieo
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 23

Total Props: 19
Re: Celebrating the centennial of flight in Canada? Guelph indoor fun fly

To celebrate the 100th year of powered fight, Windsor Airport is having a full size airshow with Static RC on August 15-16th and featuring the Snowbirds, Harvards, F18s and a special guest...the renovated "Hawk One" F86 Golden Hawk jet which is travelling around Canada all summer.
Haven't seen a "Golden Hawk" since I was 10 years old when they visited Windsor... the sound and zooming just over the treetops near our house then still brings back scary memories to this day...that was 44 years ago. The new planes wouldn't dare go that low due to regs now.
ronnieo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
j3_av8r
RCC Contributor

Smile Re: Celebrating the centennial of flight in Canada? Guelph indoor fun fly

My Silver Dart is done! And with 24 hours to spare. Now I can properly celebrate the centennial. I am quite happy with how it turned out considering I was ready to walk away from it at times. I have never built anything this light and finicky. Final AUW is 1.4 oz which translates to a wing loading of just under 2 oz/ft^2.

It has done some test "glides" jogging across the basement and it seems to be stable. Too bad I can't test fly before the event tomorrow. Nothing like a little more nerves to make things go well.

Happy Centennial of Flight!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	silverdart1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	46563  
Old 08-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #6
Mark Smtih

Total Props: 0
Re: Celebrating the centennial of flight in Canada? Guelph indoor fun fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3_av8r View Post
My Silver Dart is done! And with 24 hours to spare. Now I can properly celebrate the centennial. I am quite happy with how it turned out considering I was ready to walk away from it at times. I have never built anything this light and finicky. Final AUW is 1.4 oz which translates to a wing loading of just under 2 oz/ft^2.

It has done some test "glides" jogging across the basement and it seems to be stable. Too bad I can't test fly before the event tomorrow. Nothing like a little more nerves to make things go well.

Happy Centennial of Flight!
Hi Andy, very nice looking model. I just started building a (static) Trillium Silver Dart (my first scratch build). I'd be interested to hear how yours flew? Also, would love to ask you questions from time to time if you don't mind. Thanks -- Mark
Mark Smtih is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
j3_av8r
RCC Contributor

Thumbs up Re: Celebrating the centennial of flight in Canada? Guelph indoor fun fly

Hi Mark,

I just noticed your post. If you look at this thread, I describe some of the details on my Silver Dart.

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=84944

I have been having fun with my model. Besides being at several fun flies, its "world" tour has included being displayed with the replica that flew in Baddeck, sitting on Alexander Graham Bell's desk at his homestead in Brantford ON and sitting at its birthplace in Hammondsport, New York. I will post some pictures when I get the chance.

Next stop , Baddeck next summer hopefully. And then I will retire it.

Let me know if you need further details (PM me?). Good luck with your build!

Andy
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in