Making more noise . . . - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 02:58 PM   #1
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Adam S

Total Props: 1
Making more noise . . .

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
How good is an aerobatic glider on small hills only 15 feet high? What about sand hills 10 feet from the lake? Those are about the only areas to catch some ridge lift around here.
Warbird_ace is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-27-2003, 05:55 AM   #2
soarest neck

Total Props: 0
aerobatics and small ridges are not a real good marriage,although on small ridges like that i would say that a thl zagi would be a good place to start,there very aerobatic and have a good slow sink rate for ridge soaring,its also very tough foam for them landings on the side of the bluffs

you mentioned sand hills near the lake??the sandhills i know of is 250 ft near port burwell???

any lake bluff is good because the air [lift] starts at the base of the hill because there are no other obstructions to disturb the lift,,,your chances of soaring hills that small near the lake are much better than inland for that reason

but hey ,wait a minute,,about 15 minutes south of you there are a lot of bluffs that are soaring heaven,are these the hills you are refering to???

www.yourzagi.com ps the THL would be the best zagi for your application soarest neck
soarest neck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2003, 06:00 AM   #3
soarest neck

we will be doing some aerotowing with gliders that is very interesting even if your not any experience pilot i can fly anybodys glider until released if someone was willing???

soarest neck

Old 03-27-2003, 06:37 AM   #4
Bryan Hewitt
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bryan Hewitt
Radio of choice:
hi-tec Futaba

Aerotow

were near paris are you doing the aerotow and when :
Bryan Hewitt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:43 AM   #5
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

The hills I am talking about are near Turkey Point. Right under Turkey Point Provincial Park. They are nice hills, covered in shrubbery, and close to the lake. Problem is, the wind blows over the top of the hills. How will that affect flight?
Old 03-27-2003, 11:38 AM   #6
soarest neck

im not sure that i understood this right,,,you say the wind blows over the top,meaning from the base up ,over the top,,,,that is a must for ridge soaring without the ridge lift the only advantage the hill has is height,,learning the basics of ridge soaring its to hard but knowing the conditions to fly in is!

soarest neck
Old 03-28-2003, 07:57 AM   #7
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

What I meant was that the prevailing winds blow from the top to the bottom. Occasionally, they blow from bottom to top. O well, I'll find a hill to fly from.
Old 04-05-2003, 06:04 PM   #8
tag
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Trevor G

For slope soaring, the wind must hit the face or front of the hill, from the bottom of the hill to the top. As the wind hits the hill it is naturally forced up the hill creating an updraft. This updraft is what gives you the lift. The bigger the hill the better the lift. Also the more wind the better the lift. As the wind and the lift increases the more ballast has to be added to the glider to get it to penatrate the wind. On some really windy days (50 to 80 km/h) I've had as much as 2 pounds of ballast on a 60" glider.
Old 04-07-2003, 11:02 AM   #9
Warbird_ace
RCC Expert Contributor

I was out on the hills yesterday scouting the area. It's covered in trees. Not the greatest place to land a glider. If your good at low altitude landings when you can't see how close to the ground you are, this is the spot for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in