Shake, Rattle & Roll - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26
Shake, Rattle & Roll

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello Gents:

I am at my wits end. About 1 1/2 years ago I purchased a complete and assembled TRex 450 SE from a chap here on RCC and only recently had the time to start working with it. I have tried everything that I can think of, but I'm unable to find the source for the extreme shake the helo displays at the beginning of the power curve (about the first third of throttle). Once I get to half stick and higher the machine smoothes out quite a bit, but still vibrates. The original owner assured me that the machine was not involved in any collisions or accidents and I have no reason to doubt him; outwardly the helo is in excellent shape. The main blades are well balanced and track true. I replaced the main shaft and feathering shaft believing that they may have been bent, but this made no difference. The belt tension and gear mesh are correct. I am at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:47 PM   #2
skyad
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Darrell B

Total Props: 0
not a hundred percent familiar with the trex but no grease on spindle will cause this on a raptor. runryder may be a better forum for this question.
skyad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11
Hmmmm,

Have heard of this before being a blade issue. Which blades are you running? Do you have a set of white and red 325 pro woods to try?
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #4
CHEVPRO
RCC Contributor

I am: Todd N
Radio of choice:
Dx9
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 4
Snug up your blades. That and make sure the head dampers or not worn.
CHEVPRO is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassat
Hmmmm,

Have heard of this before being a blade issue. Which blades are you running? Do you have a set of white and red 325 pro woods to try?
Right now I'm running Hyperion 325 carbon, but the Align red & white 325 pro woodies were giving me the same problem.

Skyad: When you mention greasing the spindle, are you referring t the main shaft?

CHEVPRO: I know that on nitro helos you're suppose to tighten up the blades just enough so that they will not droop, when you lay the helo on its side, but they should be loose enough so that they will drop following a firm shake. I assumed that the smaller electric were the same, but I could be wrong. I'll try with tighter blades.

I recently read that, in many cases, the Align main rotor drive gear is notoriously unbalanced and sometimes warped. When I free wheel the gear I do notice that there is a definite wobble in the drive gear itself. Perhaps that might contribute to my problem.

Anyway, thanks for your responses and suggestions. I'll try them out and get back to you with results.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #6

Total Props: 57
Peter I had the same sorta thing it was the blades were to loose as well as the belt to the tail being to tight.
Guest is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:05 PM   #7
xv-townboy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rick L
Radio of choice:
Futaba/Spektrum
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 16
Just another thought..make sure that the paddles are properly aligned with each other.Also make sure the blades are snug but not too tight!.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:56 PM   #8
heli-craze
RCC Noob

I am: Ayhab K
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14sg
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0
is it a high pitched vibration? or a wobble as you are coming in to land? this sounds familiar with many t-rex's i've seen in the past where you just have to increase your headspeed just before a hover. but also, if u increase your headspeed u have to decrease your pitch. what kind of radio equipment r u using? anyways i hope that helps, let me know!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:28 AM   #9
Bkind
RCC Contributor

I am: Brian C
Radio of choice:
Futaba

Total Props: 2
Check the o-rings on the feathering shaft and grease them. Also check that you have reassembled both sides the same. There also should be no noticable side to side play in the feathering shaft. Meaning you should not be able to pull lightly on the blade grip and get movement either direction. Align makes a shim set for this.

The shake when spooling up is quite normal on small electrics because they spool up so hard and fast due to the direct drive and instant power of electrics. This instant start throws the blades off until there is enough head speed to realign them. Having the blades to tight useally makes this worse, requireing higher head speed to get enough force to straighten them out again.

Brian
Bkind is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in