MAAC Insurance - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
Ed Smith

Total Props: 0
MAAC Insurance

The following was posted on RC Universe. I may be behind the times here as I was away all weekend in Indiana, competing, possibly uninsured. Why it was posted there and not here I do not know. If I need enlightening then please feel free to do so.

Ed S

Quote:
FYI - from MAAC SW Zone director at MAAC SW Zone
quote:

Southwest Zone Members
May 18,2005

I do not take lightly making this report to you. I have given a lot of consideration as to what action to take, and I’ve sought counsel from members in the zone whose opinions I greatly respect. In the end I have realized that, as a Director of MAAC, it is my responsibility to inform my zone members when there is a situation that may place them at risk, or otherwise have a direct negative impact on them.

On May 11, 2005 I was informed by Chuck Smith that, due to wording in our insurance policy, MAAC members are only covered under the insurance policy for their activities “at events sanctioned by the association”. This deficiency of coverage has existed for the last 4 ½ months, and applies to most of our activities (sport flying).

This information was forwarded to the President of MAAC. What follows is an excerpt from our insurance chair, Richard Barlow, to the board on May 15.
“Chuck did find problems with the policies, especially one clause that could be interpreted as restricting our coverage to sanctioned events. I would like to go on record as thanking him for his diligence and giving full credit to him for his efforts.”

This error in our policy is being taken seriously, and Richard further reported:
“Carl has issued a sanction for all modelling activity in the interim, and Paul Baldwin [MAAC’s insuarance agent] has promised to get the relevant wording changed and the other discrepancies investigated”

As you can see, there is a problem with the wording of the policy. President Carl Layden has attempted a stopgap measure by declaring all member activities to be “sanctioned”. However, although well intentioned, I have serious concerns on whether or not this is a valid action that will extend blanket coverage to non-sanctioned events (sport flying).

Also, since we cannot provide sanctions for activities outside of Canada, MAAC members do not have insurance outside of Canada. This will especially effect anyone traveling to the US or abroad.

Other wording in the Policy indicates that coverage for volunteer activities and demonstration flights with buddy boxes may have reduced coverage, or may not be covered at all.
In closing my belief is that, until a written endorsement is received from the insurance carrier, MAAC members are not covered by insurance for their sport flying and related activities.

Until this matter is completely resolved, please consider this information when and if you decide to fly.

Gerry Shaw

Southwest Zone Director.

Posted 19 May 2005.
H. Barr.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:42 PM   #2
nony
RCC Supreme Contributor

There is a thread on it somewhere here. The general concensus is that the sky is not falling.........

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you will have to catch up.
nony is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:49 PM   #3
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Donovan R

Same insurance rules as last year. This Gerry Shaw is up to something that I can't figure out. Kind of sick I guess.
Donovan Dow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #4
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor

The following statement is being posted to the MAAC website:

To All MAAC Members,

It has come to our attention that there are letters circulating that indicate a deficiency in our insurance coverage. The letters and notices on discussion forums do not (did not) have board approval and do not represent the opinions of our insurance broker, insurance company or insurance chairman.

There was recently a wording correction made to our policy. The wording change was the result of our insurer rewording our policy for grammatical reasons. There was no intent to limit or change our coverage.

Upon further discussion with our insurance broker he issued the following statement, "..at no time was there any lapse of coverage under your [MAAC's] Liability Policy.".

In short, the insurance coverage you receive as a MAAC member is the same this year as it was last year. If you have further questions about this please contact your zone director, our insurance Chairman, Richard Barlow, or any member of the MAAC executive. Fly Safe and have Fun.

Carl Layden
President
Model Aeronautics Association of Canada

Richard Barlow
VP & Insurance Chairman
Model Aeronautics Association of Canada
Old 05-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #5
Donovan Dow
RCC Junior Contributor

Please, please can someone explain the thought process that is going on in the Ontario SW MAAC zone?

Who is chuck smith?

I gather that this gerry shaw is their zone director?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan Dow
Same insurance rules as last year. This Gerry Shaw is up to something that I can't figure out. Kind of sick I guess.
Now that was productive. He posted on the zone site and someone copied it. He didn't post it on RCUniverse.

I for one am glad there has been clarification and things have been resolved?
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #7
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199
Quote:
Please, please can someone explain the thought process that is going on in the Ontario SW MAAC zone?

Who is chuck smith?

I gather that this gerry shaw is their zone director?
Chuck Smith appears to be on the Insurance Committee, so maybe that is why this was originally considered important.
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:52 PM   #8
Randy Brown
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Randy Brown

Total Props: 4
Donovan, Gerry Shaw was not up to anything.. he is just covering his butt. The policy wording was not wrote up right and luckly Chuck Smith had noticed it.

I talk to Carl on Thursday night and we are covered and the wording is being or has been corrected by the agent

I feel better myself if I saw it in writing myself

Randy

Quote:
Old 05-23-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
Jabba
RCC Expert Contributor

One I hope thing are FIXED.

Chuck is on the insurance committee.

He is the person that found the errors in the insurance and pointed them out to the directors.

Now that Carl and Richard have STATED that the insurance is the same as LAST YEARS... I sure hope they are right because it will fall on them if it is NOT!!!

Just so you know Chuck Smith WAS a insurance broker for 15 years.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:59 PM   #10
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
What I dont understand is why some figure one person's word is the one and only "truth"... without getting it from the top. Even a few guys at our field were scared to fly this weekend since they figured the rumours of being not covered were true.

I wouldnt bother to believe too much of what is being posted at RCU regarding MAAC issues, much of it is simply personal opinion posing as factual.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in